Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PG-XL and brown outs

James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
I'm setting up for 24 hours operation when I move to Korea for 1 year. I experience brown outs when the power companies switch Generators in the middle of the night. Requiring me to reset the AMP using the power switch in the morning, I've been looking for something I found this. https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-LR2000-Conditioner-2000W/dp/B00007FHDI/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=220V+Line+Conditioner&qid=1591614433&s=electronics&sr=1-3 , your thoughts if I'm heading in the right direction?

Jim WU5E

Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would make several comments:

1- I have not used the Line Conditioner in your reference, but have used several other Tripp Lite Power products and found them to work well.

2 - Since the Voltage "in" specification for the PG-XL is given as a range, "90 to 250 VAC", it appears the PG-XL will self compensate for line voltage variations that may be described as a "brownout"?    I have no direct knowledge this would be correct, but it appears to be the case.

3- Finally, I assume you would know when the utility generator switching occurs and you could simply not transmit high power levels during that timeframe since I have seen videos that say the PG-XL operates at 700 watts when Vin is 120VAC.

Alan
    WA9WUD
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    My first suggestion would be to invest in a 220V UPS, one with enough capacity to power the PGXL and your other gear.  We use them for our bio-med equipment.  They are big, heavy and expensive but they have, at times, kept our equipment online when the power has winked.

You will need to address some of the following concerns and Mike Walker did a video of his remote station setup and talked about a few things:  Look back through the recent posts here to find his video.

1) Internet, reboot and reset when connection goes down
    2) Ability to switch on/off various devices remotely
    3) Cameras to look in on things

Mark - WS7M
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Hi Jim, I think this will work, but it only covers you down to 175 VAC. Do you know what your brown out low voltage is? Also are you sure it is just a brownout, and that there is not a brief blackout period? At my location, I have the ability to remotely power on/off my Flex 6400 using a cheap ($20) internet based switch. With one of these gizmos, you would have the ability to cycle power to 4 devices (or more if you switch a common power ****). You would need relays capable of switching 120 or 240 VAC at the appropriate current levels, but this would give you a fairly cheap way to cycle power after a power incident. 73, Len, KD0RC
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'd check to make sure the 240vac UPS you decide to go with provides ample current capability.  I haven't seen a spec on the max current draw for the PG-XL.  Anyone know?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.