Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex NB really needs improvement

2»

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Unless you have the 6600, they do direction phasing, with two antennas, but yes ,not in the same way as the 5000. Gerald invented that system on the 5000
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    As I said,, Flex is well aware of what we want, we didn't say anything here they don't know about.
  • John Orjias
    John Orjias Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    what... wait, they do? did i misunderstand, are you saying there is direction phasing on the 6600, i have the 6600m how do you do it? 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I don't know,,my radio can't do that. others have been doing it,,but not in the same way as you sued to with the 5000...check around,

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

• John Orjias
    John Orjias Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    oh that, yeah thats not the same thing, it will do nothing like pointing an array by phasing,  but i will give it a try
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2020
    Bill, the reason I keep the 6600M is because there are many things I do like about it. I noted above the things I am not happy with. As for Anan never having an all in one radio like the M models, don't place any bets just yet. You can look on their website in the FORUMS section, ( FRS is not the only radio manufacturer with a user forum) and there is an announcement for a couple of new radios that are standalone and require no computer to use. ( but, will also work with an external computer if wanted, just like the M models do) From what I have read, they are experiencing parts availability issues like so many other manufacturers are. It will be interesting to see what develops on that front. James WD5GWY
  • Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    To Joe FYI Anan has a box that has either an I5 or I7 built in with the following feature from their web site.
    "Integrated i5/i7 Windows 10 computer with SDR client preloaded and calibrated at the factory making the radio completely plug and play. (NO EXTERNAL PC Required)".  It appears that some type of terminal program like Ubuntu (unix), Raspberry PI, Etc Etc could run the the radio if this is accurate that is powerful.

I like my 66 & 6400 Flex's don't get me wrong but  Anan is making some major strides that Flex should look at doing with their software as well.
    Bob
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I was hoping Anan could do something like multi client, but it can't.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    https://youtu.be/JZEIMQ42-oU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En86CBBm030&authuser=0

Well hooked up icom 7300 about 10 feet from flex 6400M 
    #1 Test Band noise floor by my ear Flex slightly less noise floor 
    #2 Pulling out  weak station 0n 6pm 3920 SSB,note im in Bethel Net control was in Fairbanks 600 miles or so away ,I set both radios RF gain  ill post video how i did this ...NR/NB ON BOTH RADIOS Icom factory default setting and Flex the best before it distorts ,note two other ham operators in eskimo village  one guy 1500 feet away with Kenwood 990 other guy K3S both have same dipole as me home made by Jim,both could not hear net control good enough to check in i relayed them in on Icom 7300 ,without NR/NB on icom 7300 he was barely readable with NR/NB  100 PERCENT READABLE=FLEX i know he was there but not readable at all-Winner 7300 great NB/NR saved the day,
    #3 receive audio  and volume with kenwood headsets to ears on 20 meters  low noise good signals from HA islands 7300  ,both about same ,one note had nr/nb off,I put on NR on both radios i could not get the natural sound on flex 6400m like with NR OFF ,ICOM JUST Worked great station now sounded like FM no distortion=winner Icom 7300

Remember im just SSB guy i buy a radio to hear stations and talk that all- i like peasant  Audio sound on rec/tx,I can care less about running monitors all over wall like a NASA control room-Is that not what Ham radio all about but  Hearing and Talking is what i want in a radio ???.

#4 SCOPE/WATER FALL =Flex clearly winner here for sharpness and easier use,

Well Flex 6400M NOW BOXED UP sending back i really like ;looks of flex oh yes its easier to use but If i can hear stations as good as 7300 why keep it,im not here to be in click and scared to voise my opinion,When or If FLEX get NB/NR working as should ill try again 

Thanks All God Bless stay safe  

• Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    OK Joe - good luck with the 7300 and check back if you ever get another Flex. 
    Bob K3AC
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Well Flex 6400M NOW BOXED UP sending back i really like ;looks of flex oh yes its easier to use but If i CANNOT  hear stations as good as 7300 why keep it,im not here to be in click and scared to voise my opinion,When or If FLEX get NB/NR working as should ill try again -EDIT
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thank u Bob,but---
    IM STAYING HERE ---
    WHY LEAVE AND CHECK BACK When i get flex  DO U HAVE OWN FLEX JUST TALK HERE/LOL 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Enjoy what ever you decide, all is good. I know you did not have the NR set the best. It will perform as well as anything I have seen when set right. I did a write up on setting the NR. It is remarkable what it does. But most people don't take the time to work with it. I had the 7300 for a while and got tired of it fast. to many things that bothers me about it.

Have fun Joe
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bill trust me i know how use flex 6400m NR and NB i had flex 6400m before for 6 months ,i spend hours on all my radios i been ham from 1986,I keep giving a flex a try ,
    I feel now like President Trump new Press Secretary  and  Spoke Person and now here comes CNN reporters saying im not as smart as them TRYING put words in my mouth or send up smoke signals --
    this tread two years old and flex still did not address NR/NB complaints --
    Joe 

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Can you explain how you set the NR? at what settings? not to poke holes in your setup, But it is interesting stuff.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bill stop it now please- you are acting like CNN reporter trying get answer you want ,,

Bill  the 6400M set as should-
    Joe
  • KT0AM  - Mark
    KT0AM - Mark Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Or, in this case, is not set at all since Joe's 6400M is boxed up and ready to go back. I, for one, have enjoyed watching the spectacle of this thread. I'm looking forward to Joe spending a year or so with the 7300 and participating on the Icom forums, then reporting back with a comparison report. Joe, in order to be objective, you should focus your attention on the Icom side of things to provide time so that you can provide a fair view between Flex and Icom. Icom is a fine company with great products, after some time, I'm sure you will provide some interesting insights.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2020
    I'm going to step in for the Flex Mayor, Tim and close this thread only as I think it has run its course.    If anyone feels otherwise, I am open to suggestions -- info@flex-radio.com and we can chat about it.  That comes right to my inbox, so I will see it.  

• John Orjias
    John Orjias Member ✭✭

i have set the 7300 next to the 6600m, the 7300 NB is not even close to as good as the 6600m, however i have found the mfj 1026 to be the best solutions for bad noise

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭

Agree i have MFJ 1026 unit takes little time learn how to use it but ITS the BEST ,7300 i had NB was worthless but NR was very good .

JOE

😂Come on Man,That thing you know that thing>>>>🤣

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020

For NB Icom 7700 has a Blast great NB never seen a better NB in any Radio.

JOE

😂Come on Man,That thing you know that thing>>>>🤣

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭

I agree, the noise mitigation in the Flex is below par. I've owned the Flex-6500 for about seven years now, it has a lot of good features but it's got a long way to compete with legacy radios. Flex Radio is now involved with a government contract, so who knows when SSDR is going to be fixed. After seven years you would think this radio would be golden but it's not.

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭

Flex Radio is now involved with a government contract,

Can you go into more detail

The Original Sleepy Joe C

😂Come on Man 🤣

😂That thing you know that thing😂

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020

ANDROMEDA by Apache Labs I seen one at a professor home in Seattle some how he has one of prototype radios

NB just completely phase shifts out all noise.With China Virus now- not sure if if going into production soon .

They have have enough pre-orders

😂Come on Man 🤣

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020

This unit for money worth it’s weight in Gold

When used with my 6400M it makes 75/80 meters noise problems sound like 20 meters

He can found on Facebook under DX World Electronics- jim_811@yahoo.gr

very good $$$ on this

😂Come on Man 🤣

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.