Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PG-XL

James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
edited July 2021 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
I just purchase a PG-XL to replace my ALS-1306 I should have my PG-XL on the 20-21st. What are some the tips and do not do this can some the PG-XL users? Any comments are welcome.

Answers

• Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Jim -- I've had mine for about 8-9 months now. It's pretty loud so you might want to place it away from your chair. Since you will use SmartSDR or the Maestro to change operate/standby, no need to access the front panel. Use 220V if you can to get full power out. See you on Treasure Coaster net! 73 de Tom, N9GUN
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Don't curse your self to much for not buying it before, HI HI
    Sorry only thing I could think of.
    Wonderful AMP and built like a tank hope you enjoy it, the only AMP I have ever had that actually goes up in power as it warms up including Tube amps. 
    Bret

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I've had my PG-XL since September 2019.  Love it.  A few suggestions...

Flex typically tests their amps before they ship.  You may find that their test transceiver serial number is registered in your PG-XL (found in the Power Genius XL Configuration App under FlexRadio tab), so when you do your initial setup make sure you change this to the serial number of your Flex transceiver.  If you don't do this, your Amp will not be recognized and you'll be wondering what the heck is wrong.

If you like to run modes that have long key-down transmissions, such as the Olivia modes, I recommend switching the Fan Mode from Standard to Contest.  (PG-XL Config App - 'Other' settings)

As as mentioned above, you may fine the fan noise a bit noisy, so proper placement may be a concern.  Also you'll find when the Amp is on (Operational Mode but not yet amplifying), you will hear the fan running at its lowest speed.  (The Amp is perfectly silent when put in the Standby Mode). 

Enjoy

• W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited May 2020
    The amp fan noise is so loud, that I put the amp outside the shack and only operate it from the Utility (FW 3.4.10)  with the radio type set as Kenwood (doesn't really matter but curious that they wouldn't have a setting for "Flex") I use 9600 8N1 for the baud.  Maybe I could use 38400 baud, but don't know what difference it would make.   I do have the LAN cable (use a shielded 5e or better wrapped around several 3" choke torrods 

I have operated SO2R rtty at 1500 W - which is almost a continuous duty cycle - and the amp temp approaches 80 C  - without difficulty or problems (we are at 9000 ft agl so the air density is lower resulting in higher amp temps)
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I copied and pasted KF4HR comment above about doing this below

Flex typically tests their amps before they ship.  You may find that their test transceiver serial number is registered in your PG-XL (found in the Power Genius XL Configuration App under FlexRadio tab), so when you do your initial setup make sure you change this to the serial number of your Flex transceiver.  If you don't do this, your Amp will not be recognized and you'll be wondering what the heck is wrong.

If you are running a Flex this is why you didn't see a Flex listed. Go back to the PGXL install program and find your radio by following the instructions. If you did the above for some reason your network is not finding your amp, maybe a bad cable etc
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    James the only hitch I had is what KF4HR posted about clicking the tap to find your radio and not the test radio serial number showing. This hung me up for a few mins until I clicked on the drop down tab and when I did my radio showed and the correct serial #. Once I clicked this everything fell in place and I was done with the setup. I have had my PGXL for about 20 days now and not a hitch even did a firmware update on the amp the 3rd day I owned it ! Good luck and enjoy
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    After you put in Flex serial number in A and B you have to save in the PGXL Utility. On FT8, RTTY and CW you can use Meffa. When checked you have to transmit a number of times for it to zero in on the right bias. PA temps run 10 degrees lower or more. The drive needed will be be higher And that is ok. The temperature in the harmonic load will increase because the amplifier is operating in a less linear range. For SSB and any other mode that requires linearity the Meffa will/should not be use. I believe it is turned off when on SSB, AM and I am not sure for PSK as I don’t operate that. I put mine in an adjacent room or away from your position. It can be located anywhere even close to where your coax exits your home. I now have much less RF in my shack. Superb amplifier. I have had mine for about a year. Last tip I set a power limit for the Flex radio of about 50 so I don’t severally overdrive it by mistake. In general SS amplifiers don’t like being overdriven as I have heard years ago. 73 Bill W9JJB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.