Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Interesting time using the NR

Bill -VA3WTB
Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
last night I tuned into a friend broadcasting his Anan 7000 DLE  over u tube. 80 meters.
At some point he turned on his NR2 in order to lessen the static on the band. Because I could hear his audio from his radio well I heard the difference.

I decided to turn on my NR. As usual the Flex NR made signals very dull without any mid ranges in peoples voices. So I started trying some settings. I set the NR between 6 and 10 on the slider. Then I used the RX EQ to increase the upper frequencies to compensate for the NR loss. I turned up the slice audio gain and just listened.

It was really nice, All the voices were clearly heard and the band noise went down a lot. And it closely compared to the Anan, if not smoother. The Anan had a lot of pumping and wind sounds although the peoples voices were good. The Flex had none of those sounds in the background and no pumping. I also found that if a signal approached S9 the NR performed it's best.

I think I am re thinking the use of the NR, I have been impressed, somewhat surprised.
Give it a try and see if you can make it work as well as I have?

Comments

• James Whiteway
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for the info Bill. I'll give it a go on 80 this evening. That's when a lot of crud shows up in my neighborhood. James WD5GWY
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Bill - you are exactly right!  I had kind of given up on the NR function on my new 6400 due to the muddy sound.  I just set it to 24 and bumped the bass down a little and turned the vol up to compensate and it is really helping on 40 M right now. Thanks for the tip!
    Len, KD0RC
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I try NR and NB last night while using CW. It didn't work very well. Loud signals anywhere in or near my panafall view screen were telegraphed into my slice. I've experienced this many times before. But I forgot, (like oh yeah, that's why I don't use them). The WNF does the same thing. If Flex can find a way to activate the NR and NB based on data inside the Slice only, it would work better.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I didn't try CW, I was on SSB. So looks like it does not work so well on CW.
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    It works!  On 75m this morning with a persistent frying noise, maybe powerline across the band.  NB and WNB don't touch the noise but NR + EQ is doing a good job making copy much more pleasant.

Great suggestion.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Tried it on our local 75M net this morning on our HF NET with Bill's settings and it worked from a 60 over S9 1.5KW signal a quarter mile away to a S3/S4 signal  and with the settings NOT over 7 but with the RX EQ range set so the voice audio sounded the same as with the EQ and NB OFF. 
    Thanks Bill for the heads up
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2020
    Hi Bill,
     Just a quick update. I've been playing with the receive EQ settings and Noise Reduction settings and it does help clean up some of the crud generated by neighbors A/C unit enough that I can enjoy the audio much more. Thanks for the tip!
    Now, just come up with some magic setting for the ANF!!
    :-)
    James
    WD5GWY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.