Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

smartSDR sudden shutdown

Khalid AlRiyami
Khalid AlRiyami Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
SmartSDR suddenly closes then immediately reopens And connection lost window shows it happens time to time for unknown reason. I just downloaded the latest firmware v3.1.11 but it’s still happening FlexRadio 6400M Windows 10 Did anyone face this problem and what’s the possible reasons? image

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2020
    Have you cold booted the radio after upgrading as recommended in the Release Notes?
  • Khalid AlRiyami
    edited April 2020
    yes I did but this issue being happing even before upgrade
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2020
    That error indicates that the PC is losing the network connection between the PC and the radio.
  • Khalid AlRiyami
    edited April 2020
    It keeps happening every now and then the SmartSDR window freezes for a second then closes and the connection lost window display while the SmartSDR window reopens by it self??! I noticed the network indication on the SmartSRD sometimes drops from excellent to poor few seconds the comes back. It’s very annoying you can imagine specially during pail ups and contest.image
  • Khalid AlRiyami
    edited April 2020
    So what can the reason for that to happen?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2020
    How are the PC and FLEX-6000 connected to your network?
  • Khalid AlRiyami
    edited April 2020
    Ethernet cable pulled from main router to network switch in shack then from switch one LAN goes to radio and one to PC
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2020
    RRR.  What is the make and model of the Ethernet switch?
  • Khalid AlRiyami
    edited April 2020
    TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit desktop switch TL-SG1005D
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I was running my 6600M through a small 5-port Netgear switch (105E) to my Mac. It would mysteriously drop the xCat and xDax connections (I don't run a GUI on the Mac) randomly anywhere from several times per day to several times per week, sometimes only once per week.

I stopped using the Netgear 5-port switch between the Mac and radio, and have not had a disconnect in two months. I'm using a 24-port smart switch (commercial grade) now.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Interesting.  I have two switches between my radio and my PC and I do see disconnects.

I might have to try something different just to see how it works.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Mark, the 5 port switch in my case was connected to the Mac, but that switch was then connected to the switch to which the radio was connected - so there were two switches between the computer and the radio. Exactly what you just described - and it caused me no end of grief. I'm just happy i decided to eliminate the little cheap switch.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2020
    Khalid - I looked up this Ethernet switch.  I see that it has the "Green Ethernet" feature.  This feature will reduce the power on the UTP transceivers to save power.  This feature can also cause issues if it temporarily shuts down the port, which is another feature of Green Ethernet.

One test would be to power off the PC and the radio, connect them together with a single Ethernet cable, and then power on the PC first and then power on the radio.  Operate in that mode and if you do not have any disconnects, then the switch Is causing the problem and you should change it. 

Remember when making any network changes, always power off the radio, make the physical cabling change and then power on the radio to ensure it gets the correct IP address.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.