Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Downloadable recorded audio

Rick N0VT
Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is it possible to download recorded slice receiver audio?  All a search turned up was 5 year old responses that said "no, but that capability may be added in the future."  Was it?

Rick WR0H

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    We can not record and save the recording so we can export it. What many do is use Audacity to record, then export the file to use. So simple.
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    So needless.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Unless, of course, if you have to write the code...
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I wrote a some Windows Powershell code that can record audio from the active slice and save it to your hard drive.  It uses Fmedia to record the audio.  It requires DAX to be configured and running. I programmed buttons on my Touch Portal touch display to record and playback the audio.  You could also do this without Touch Portal by simply executing the scripts manually.  

I also wrote some code to tune the radio to a specific frequency at a specific time and record the audio for a specific period of time.  This is great for capturing nets, W1AW code practice sessions, shortwave broadcasts, etc.  This uses the Windows Task Scheduler to call other scripts to tune the radio and start recording audio.  I call it SkedTune.

These are just a couple of examples of having fun with Flex Radio and extending it's functionality !

I'm happy to share this with anyone who wants to try it.

Joe
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Again, I must point out 3rd Party software. This time I'm referring to FRlogger by WS7M that does a spectacular job of recording and playing back audio from Flexradio 6000 series.
    From the AUDIO tab you can record from any DAX or Mic Audio with a click of a button, saved as wave file, playback through local computer or through radio with a click of a button. FRlogger does much more but this is a very nice feature. You can move any wave file you created to the Audio sub-directory of the program and it gets listed and available for use.

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Indeed !  I forgot about FRLogger having that capability.  It does work quite well.
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    My logger (DXKeeper) will record audio--it's just not always open when I want to grab something on the fly.  It seems like that would be a relatively simple feature considering everything else the radio does.  But I seem to have a knack for not using the complicated bells and whistles it has and wanting the little things it won't do.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Rick it would seem that yes it would be really simple to make it happen in SSDR. But reality it's not simple at all. SSDR is nothing than a user interface, it does no thinking, no processing, and it is not even using a hard drive other than being installed on it. Dax is used to connect audio to the hard drive and it's a separate program outside of SSDR although they both install at the same time. For this reason we rely on other software to record that connects to Dax. There are several.

This is one thing that makes Flex very different from all other radios, being able to use other recording software along with SSDR seamlessly as if the software is actually in SSDR it self.
    Using other software to do many things with Flex is not a negative thing,,it is a benefit in many ways. If only others would take advantage of 3rd party software and take the Flex experience to higher levels.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.