Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DDoS attacks

Options
Nick Cloyes, N4CL
Nick Cloyes, N4CL Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

I am seeing many DDoS attacks in my router log.  I started a daily review of my router logs after seeing many attempts to connect to my 6700.  I had a port forwarded to the 6700, which I removed after observing the problem.  That stopped the 6700 login attempts, but I still see approximately 35 DOS attacks per day.  I would like to know if other people experience the same thing, or am I being attacked because of a security weakness.

Answers

• Steve WS5W
    Steve WS5W Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I wonder if that is where some of my disconnects are coming from. I will remove my port forwarding and see if the intermittent disconnects stop. Steve Ws5w
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Unfortunately, that is not uncommon and is likely not related to the radio.  Bad guys do this all day long with their Botnets.

If you search back a bit, you will find Eric's comments regarding attacks on your firewall.    

Should something attempt to knock on the port that you have opened to the radio, it is similar to someone knocking on the door of your house.  They don't have the keys to get in, but they can knock.  

Since the bad guy does not have the Keys, he will not be able to get in at all.

Steve, such an event will not cause the radio to disconnect, so you may have to look elsewhere for the cause.  

73 all 

Mike 
  • Nick Cloyes, N4CL
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Thanks
  • Nick Cloyes, N4CL
    edited April 2020
    Options
    The attempts continued for 3 or 4 days after I removed the forwarding.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    "I hear you knocking, but you can't come in
    I hear you knocking, go back where you been"

Sorry couldn't resist.
    73& stay healthy.
    Bob, WK2Y
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Wow... I wish I had 35 attacks a day.   Try more like 18,000 here!  I'm starting to get concerned about a new kind of attack where they just attempt and fail so often my router log fills up and causes the router issues.  

With the entire world shuttered and locked in behind their keyboards and monitors there are just a bunch of people with nothing better to do I guess.
  • Nick Cloyes, N4CL
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I don't like them knocking.  I am doing abuse reporting on the ones that persist.  I contacted a major university and they stopped it. I guess I'm paranoid  :)
    It's a cold, cruel world out there.
  • Nick Cloyes, N4CL
    edited April 2020
    Options
    It started before the Covid-19 crisis.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Best of luck with that.  My place is like Mark's as well.   Thousands

As long as any port that you have open is protected by being a TLS type connection, you are fine.  The SmartLink connection is a TLS connection.

Mike

• Nick Cloyes, N4CL
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments.  Now I know I'm not special  ;)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.