Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX 6300 6500 6700 fans

Comments

• Steve - K4HG
    Steve - K4HG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    John, thanks. PayPal was never an option because of the time that had elapsed since payment, I just mentioned it to Eric that even though he made the mistake I was the one that was ****. However at the time the package shipped my paypal address had already been changed, so if it wasn’t for the time between paying and shipping it wouldn’t be an issue. Within a few hours of Eric sending the tracking number I reminded him of his promise to get a current address first and I notified him to recall the package. Unfortunately since nearly a week had elapsed between when he shipped and when he emailed the tracking info (again, because he was busy) Eric said USPS said the package was already “out for delivery” and could not be recalled or redirected. Part of the error lies with USPS as well since there was a forwarding order nothing should have been left in the mailbox. If Eric decides to send me an invoice as proof of value and the other info I need I can file a claim and then usps says they will send someone to the mailbox to look for the package, but they refuse to do anything without the claim, even though the postmaster admits after looking at the tracking number and the forward order the package was delivered incorrectly. **** bureaucratic BS.
  • Craig Haggerty
    Craig Haggerty Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I also would love to get a fan for my 6300, thanks.

Craig Haggerty
    W0CHH
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I am putting together a list for another group purchase. Anyone interested in participating this time around, please email me direct, and I will add you to the list. Eric K2CB k2cb@comcast.net
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited October 2019

I've had a number of inquiries again recently regarding fan availability.  I am planning another bulk purchase.  In order to gauge interest, and get an idea how many to order, please email me direct at k2cb@comcast.net  and I will add you to the list.  I expect delivery to be sometime mid November. Minimum 2 pieces. Based on an estimated quantity, I expect pricing to be somewhere close to the last time around, which was $42 a set ($21 each).  Postage via flat rate @$10 US, International shipping based on your qth.

Eric
    K2CB

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Eric thank you for doing this!! Just yesterday I had the dreaded "Shutdown Fan FPGA Error" occur on my 6700. Earlier I had purchased 3 fans from you that I've been saving for just such an occurrence. I installed your fans yesterday and all has been well ever since. Total time to do the install was about 30 minutes which included disconnecting the radio and placing it back into service. I simply swapped out the fans and not the heatsinks. Super easy. So again, thank you!!!!!

I apologize for the poor pictures. My goal for taking them was to place all wires back into their original positions after the install so the pics were for reference.

I'll also email you but please count me in for 3 more.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited October 2019
    I just spoke with the manufacturer.

Based on the anticipated quantity, the pricing will remain the same, pre-tariff.

However, due to the current trade war, there is now a 22% tariff in effect on the fans coming into the US from China. The last time around it was only 5%, which based on the pre-tariff cost basis of $20, resulted in a price of $21.

Now, due to the increased tariff,  the cost per set has increased to $49, plus shipping. Also, due to the increase in postage from the last time around, postage will now be $11.  This makes the total $60 per set, shipped in the US. 

International buyers, I will quote you a shipping cost based on your location.

If buying more than one set, also contact me for an exact shipping amount.

Additionally, I was initially misquoted on the lead time, as they are now quoting me 14-16 weeks lead time. Estimated delivery will be sometime in February 2019.

As last time around, this is going to be done on a pre-sale basis.  I expect to only have a few sets on hand when it is all said and done, so be sure to take part now, and do not rely on any being left after the order is placed. Once placed, I can not add additional units, as they are built to order.

I will accept pre-paid orders up until 11/8/2019, and then place an order on Monday 11/11/2019 for the presold total, plus a few spares.

If you would like to purchase a set, you can send a payment directly to

hamcables@gmail.com     (not my regular email address of k2cb@comcast.net)

International buyers, please CONTACT ME FIRST for exact shipping costs.   

Please note, I am NOT retired, and do a lot of work related travelk, so if I don't reply immediately, don't panic! I will reply as soon as reasonably possible.

Thank you for your interest and participation.

Eric
    K2CB

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The YouTube video on how to replace the fans was deleted, (not sure how).  But the author,  Manuel / W4SSB was able to locate and reload it.  The video link on my web page notes has been updated. 

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#FANs_

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited November 2019

The order was placed on 11/11/19, as promised.

Similar to the last time around, I ordered extra units to have on hand, just in case. 

At the moment I have a handful that are unspoken for. The last time they all sold prior to arrival, so if anyone needs fans, act now before they are all spoken for!

See prior posting for details.

Eric

K2CB

• K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited November 2019
    Merry Christmas everyone!!!  Surprise!!! SANTA CLAUS ARRIVED EARLY!!!  

Guess what the brown truck dropped off today?

Due to some very fortunate circumstances, the order was able to be rushed in from overseas, and the fans arrived today!

I will do my best to get them boxed up over the weekend, and out in the mail Monday (work schedule permitting).

For those of you still considering a purchase, at this time I have a handful of sets unspoken for. Once they are gone, that's it!    There is no telling at this time if there will be sufficient future demand to place another bulk order. As some discovered, it's been almost a year since the last order, and a long wait..... so grab them while you can.

Eric
    K2CB

• Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
     Hi Eric —

thanks for doing this for everyone!

Email sent, hopefully you have two left...   ;-)

Justin

KL2D
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited December 2019
    I have a few sets remaining at this time. 

Eric
    K2CB

• Ray - K6LJ
    Ray - K6LJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I would like a set. K6lj please email me with details rjdev@ix.netcom.com
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited March 2020
    I have four sets remaining at this time.  I'm not sure if there will be another group purchase in the future, so if you would like to have a spare set on hand, or think you will need a fan, here is your opportunity.

Eric
    K2CB

• David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    is there any failure rate info?  i have some fans, how can I estimate that I have enough?
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited March 2020

LIFE EXPECTANCY - 50000 Hours at 25℃ / 65% RH

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Not complaining but 50K hours is 5.5 years of continuous service.
    My original fans failed shortly after the 2 year warranty period [of course].
    The replacements went just after a year. I am on my 3rd set now.
    Running the radio upside down as Flex though the failures were due to the upside down mounting of the fans in the radio. I do run my radio 24X7 except when away from the house for vacation.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Mine have been perfect for 5 years+  I have a set of fans here, don't know if I will ever need them, but I have them. But my radio is well filtered.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited March 2020

Strange. Maybe the upside down has something to do with it. However, I have a 6300 here that has been on 24/7 for 2 years now. The fans are still quiet. 
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    My 6700 is on standby (GPS Lock) unless I am using it.  I have everything on remote control and the fans and everything else is triggered by the +5V from the accessory connector on the Flex.  I use an ODC5 G from greyhill as an isolator. (Check it out it is a great device!!) 
    Remote Controls
    1. DC Power to Flex
    2. Flex Remote on.
    3.    All prehphrials HF-Auto/LP-700/Ethernet-switch   are slaves of the +5V from the Flex radio.

My station only has one small internet device active when shut down.

No fans running while shut down.  Everything can be controlled from my phone or a web browser.

I am not trying to hijack the thread I am just saying......"There are ways to save electrical werar on devices"..............Just sayin
    73 de N5PSM
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Eric, you got mail... :)
    /Lasse SM5GLC
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited March 2020

Reply sent
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited March 2020
    ALL fans have been sold.  Thank you, everyone!

• FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Eric, If you have any for sale, I will buy a few. I don't have any issues yet. I have the 6300 but it would be a good idea to have a few spares on hand. Let me know. Thanks. Stay healthy.
  • brian
    brian Member
    edited June 2020
    I communicated with Eiric, K2CB, a couple of days ago about ordering some replacement fans, and was told that the current 100 on order were already sold. I'd like to purchase a couple to keep handy in event I experience a failure. I wonder if a couple of the gents who have them in stock or on order would each sell me one unit until Eric places another order, I would certainly appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance for your reply....
    Brian,
    WA5M@att.net
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 2020
    Hi Brian

I believe Eric stated he was not going to do another order.

best you can hope for is if someone sells their radio to upgrade and wants to sell the fans separately. 

Not all of the 6300, 6500, 6700 models were having premature fan failures. Later production units have fans from a different manufacturer. Unfortunately the mounting of the fans to heatsink is different from the original fans and it is not recommended to change the heatsinks in the field. Too much risk of damaging the FPGA or CPU chips.

I had provided the new fan info to Al NN4ZZ for my 6700 I ordered about 4 months ago. I believe he has info on his site.

Keep your eyes open for a set of fans in the meantime. There are a lot of original signature series limited edition radios that the fans are still going strong.

Dave wo2x
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Brian,
    Here is a link to my “fan page” that Dave referenced.  

Al / NN4ZZ

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Eric,
    One of the cpu fan, it's off, falling I would like to know if the double-sided of those I received from you is good, double-sided thermal conductive tape, or I must plan, good double-sided
    like this I replace, the complete

73, on5po, Janny
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited April 2020
    The fans I supplied have the thermal adhesive pad pre-attached. If you have already removed your old heatsink and thermal pad from the cpu, simply peel off the blue protective seal, and affix the replacement fan/heatsink assembly. Eric K2CB
  • Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Larry a couple of months ago I think I got my fans from you. Are new ones less noisy than the old ones or am I mistaking that the big fan is the primary noise maker? I haven't changed the old ones out yet since COVID has me on the air a lot. I love my 6300 but the fan noise very distracting. One of the reasons I went to dual **** high end headset my company makes. 

Pat de KA4VNM
  • Dave
    Dave Member
    edited June 2020
    Can someone tell me what voltage these Fans run on
    Many thanks, Dave ZS6AVM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.