Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW rise time

Options
Mark_WS7M
Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Found a very old post about CW rise times and wonder what they are set to now.

I am getting reports of keyclicks when using my SPE amp.   

Answers

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Normally, with an amp, that is not enough delay.
    Listen to your signal on a dummy load and increase delay until it stops the clicks.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Delay is related to rise time how?
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    If the amplifier does not switch into transmit quickly enough, it will "hot switch", resulting in clipping off the leading edge of the carefully shaped CW signal from the Flex. Result: terrible key clicks.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    So what delay are you guys running?

There are two:

1) TX delay at the phone plugs or acc plug.  I run that at 20
    2) The CW hang time which I have tried from 25 up to 1000.

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    It is the TX delay for this test.  The ones I use are (much) older QRO brand using a vacuum relay and the delay is higher than 20.  I have no experience with a SPE.  I have a 6700 so just put the second RX on a dummy load and start adjusting the timing until quiet - probably around 25-30ms
  • N2WQ
    N2WQ Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Set CW raise time to 6 ms. 4 ms is borderline and 2 ms is a definite nightmare for the others.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Where are you setting CW rise time?
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Inquiring minds want to know... (me included)
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Guess we will never find out...
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I won't hold my breath!
  • N3RC
    N3RC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Seems like a simple question? Either  you can adjust or you cant????
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Rise time is not adjustable in the Flex. Looking at the QST review, I seem to remember it was around 5 ms which is the textbook sweet spot. The shaping is very good so the barefoot Flex is not likely to generate bad clicks. I will have to look at the band using full duplex to see how wide my 6400 keying is. The higher the keying speed, the wider it will be. 73, Len, KD0RC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.