Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Analog S-meter option in SmartSDR PLEASE !

2»

Comments

• Jason NR0X
    Jason NR0X Member
    edited March 2020
    I'm working on an analog meter project, using an ESP32 microcontroller to connect to the flex, subscribe to metering data, and use it to drive an analog 3.3 volt meter.  I got it working, but for some reason it stops reading the metering date after a couple minutes.  The Arduino code is NOT pretty, though.  I got my programming license in a KrackerJack box!  Here is a quick video I made and just threw up on youtube.

Jason NR0X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESbwspGDtuk

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Look like a fun project, the K4 group would be interested in this as well, many are not happy with the S meter bar graph as well...  already.
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    WOW !
  • Jason NR0X
    Jason NR0X Member
    edited January 2020
    Got a K4 I can borrow?    hihi!
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Its too bad they went out of business.  Why is it no one really builds apps for the flex with that level of graphic detail?

I would love to see a "station monitor" with meters like this and the meter info data from FRstack.
  • KD2OM
    KD2OM Member
    edited March 2020
    I don’t care about an analog S-meter, how about a dBm or uV
    scale on the radio without using SSDR?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    If your not using a M model, how would you see a scale readout? without SSDR?
  • KD2OM
    KD2OM Member
    edited March 2020
     I have an M. With SSDR, I can set the meter to dBm, which unlike S units are a real measurement. I would be really happy if I could do the same with just the radio. Maybe it is possible to change the display but I haven’t figured out how. Another good value would be μV.

Steve KD2OM 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Oh, you can't change that on the M model? to read dbm?
  • Jason NR0X
    Jason NR0X Member
    edited March 2020
    Doesn't the waterfall read in dbm?
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
     Very cool !  Wish I knew how to open a KrackerJack box! 
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Sure you can.  Just tap the s-meter to go through the options.
  • KD2OM
    KD2OM Member
    edited March 2020
    Tapping on the S-Meter just changes to other meters, like PO or Compression.
  • KD2OM
    KD2OM Member
    edited March 2020
    Yes in 10 dB steps visually. across the whole display so it is difficult to get exact values.
  • Jason NR0X
    Jason NR0X Member
    edited March 2020

It also reads on the slice.  The software defaults to S units, but just click on it and change to dBm.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I think he is talking about the M model radio front display.
  • Jason NR0X
    Jason NR0X Member
    edited March 2020
    That's how I got my license! 
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Steve KD2OM,

S-units most certainly are a real measurement.  An S9 is equivalent to 50 microvolts.

As I've stated repeatedly in multiple threads, an S-meter should report only the peak voltage measured within the passband, nothing more and nothing less.  Any nonsense talk of "integrating the power in the passband" (as the Flex meter does, according to the Flex engineers) corrupts the very definition of an S-meter. Any S-meter reading should be directly correlate-able to a dBm (or dBμV) scale on the edge of the spectrum display, but the Flex S-meter reading clearly changes according to the width of the passband, and so consequently has no correlation with the dBm scale in the spectrum display, which is patently absurd, and which prima facie renders any given Flex S-meter reading meaningless.

For a perfect example of a correctly functioning S-meter, see Simon Brown's SDR Console. His S-meter reading directly correlates with the dBm scale in the spectrum display, and doesn't change simply because the operator changes the passband width.

And with that said, I'm done here. I've argued the S-meter point ad nauseum in the Flex community forum, and it's abundantly clear to me that Flex is never going to change their "integrating the power in the passband" mentality on the issue.  And given that glaring basic engineering flaw and a number of other exasperating Flex-related issues, I've moved on. I no longer own a Flex (I own the latest Anan now), so I'm no longer stuck with waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for Flex to ever do the right thing.

I'll see myself out, and best of luck to you all.

73, Mark K1LSB

• Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Good for you
  • KD2OM
    KD2OM Member
    edited March 2020
    Yes that is correct, the 6600M radio.
  • Jason NR0X
    Jason NR0X Member
    edited March 2020
    Strange, I edited my comment to ask if the Maestro interface was the same, but it seems the edit didn't take.  Sorry about that!

A brief look at pictures of Maestro screens on Google doesn't show the same thing as SSDR, so my suggestion doesn't apply here.
  • KD2OM
    KD2OM Member
    edited March 2020
    I think the Maestro is the same as the M radio
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I’ll just refer to Rob Sherwoods website if anyone wants the facts.  No non-sdr s-meter ever read peaks in the 500 hz passband, only the total power in that passband.  Just look at those vintage circuits.  There is a spec for the process.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    This post, which was for an analog S meter is under consideration.  Thank you to those who have provided constructive comments related to the feature request. Since this post has devolved into arguments and discussions not directly related to the feature request, I am inclined to close this post at this time.
  • this looks neat too bad i cant find a working link to try it.

• N7WRH
    N7WRH Member ✭✭
    I just ordered a 6400M (I owned a new 1000 years ago) and would GREATLY appreciate having the ability to enable a nice looking analog S meter on the display.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.