Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Analog S-meter option in SmartSDR PLEASE !

Hugh - VA3TO
Hugh - VA3TO Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
The only thing I miss from my conventional HF rig is the nice big analog S/RF meter. Is there any good reason why Flex doesn't include this as an option in SmartSDR ?  Same measurement sensing, just a different graphical representation.
3 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    If you can find a copy - there are links on here, the Woodbox Radio is a nice Analogue meter
  • Hugh - VA3TO
    Hugh - VA3TO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Does this integrate into SmartSDR or does it run standalone ?

• Hugh - VA3TO
    Hugh - VA3TO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I searched the forums  but all I could find is an expired Dropbox link.  Could some kind soul e-mail a ZIP file with it to me please ?  radeohedca at hotmail dot com
    Thanks, Hugh.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Sent
  • Hugh - VA3TO
    Hugh - VA3TO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Got it. Thanks guys ! 
    Great look and feel for an analog S-meter. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but it's a shame it doesn't show RF power on TX as well.

Instead of having to run it as an external add-on, I wonder why Flex doesn't integrate their own into SmartSDR ?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited January 2020
    This one works as well.  You can even run it on a separate computer (like all Flex apps)

http://www.denzone.com/

Mike image
  • Hugh - VA3TO
    Hugh - VA3TO Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Not quite as visually appealing (yes, eye candy) as the Woodbox meter.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hugh, if you close out one block on the control panel  that you don't use all the time, like EQ,,you can place your meter in it's place,,then it looks like it belongs. Or just over lay the meter there, looks good.
  • Hugh - VA3TO
    Hugh - VA3TO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    That works out well. Thanks Bill !
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    me to pls  n8aum at yahoodotcom
  • Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    For us "Non-SmartSDR" PC Stand Alone users, it would be nice if Flex would give the option to select on the 6X00M and Maestro TFTs between a bar graph or Analog type meters. This should be a very simple thing. Add a menu software switch to select what meter the person wants. Yes, "EYE CANDY!"
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Put your idea in the idea selection so Flex will see it, It may have been logged already?

One problem I see is the amount of space an analog meter would take up. To be large to see. This is why in many software, bar graphs are used.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I know on the 7610, the "analog" meters look nice, but take up about half of the screen real estate. I prefer moving needle meters, but they just use too much space.
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    TNX !
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

• BD7MYM
    BD7MYM Member
    edited November 2019
     Could some kind soul e-mail a ZIP file with it to me please ?  BD7MYM at hotmail dot com
    Thanks, wei
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    For a truly impressive example of a well-executed S-meter, see Simon Brown's SDR Console V3.

It simultaneously displays peak, instant and noise levels, and is configurable to display either dBm, dBuV or S-units, and can also be configured as a Signal-to-Noise meter.

Read it and weep..

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    That's ok I guess,,, I like this one..

• Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bill,

You apparently completely missed the point of my post.

Is that one configurable for display in anything other than S-units? Does it have simultaneous peak and current display? Does it have noise floor readout? Is it configurable for S/N reporting?

What is it about that particular meter that you like, specifically?

I mean, "it's okay I guess".

Don't bother answering my questions, they were instigatory. I'll see myself out..
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

Flex should just offer Simon Brown (G4ELI) and Darrin (KE9NS) good paying positions writing code for SmartSDR because their work speaks for itself and would move SSDR along at a much greater pace!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Not likely. Gerald gave Simon the code and platform to work with. PSDR was fully operational. Simon has done wonderful work as he moved it to SDR console. And it evolved from there. Flex worked closely with Darrin giving him as much help as they could.

SSDR is far more complicated to work on then PSDR because of all the subsystems involved. According to people that have worked on both.

The writers at Flex are very talented and have achieved amazing things. in my opinion.
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bill,

You state that "Gerald gave Simon the code and platform to work with", as though you are privy to some insider-information history between those individuals, or between Flex and Simon Brown.

I am aware of no historical connection at all between Gerald Youngblood and Simon Brown, nor between Flex and Simon.

Nor am I aware of any connection between any code contained in PowerSDR and any code in anything Simon has ever developed.

Show us, please, where you get your information regarding any connection at any time between Gerald (or Flex) and Simon Brown.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

When I said gave Simon PSDR, I don't mean he walked up to him and said, here you go, take it I'm done with it. I mean the beginning of any Anan softer started from Geralds work. So Simon was working with Geralds code. Thanks to Gerald Anan was born.

PSDR was Geralds work. It started as a simple past time. He wrote the code. PSDR is built as an open source program. After Flex stopped developing PSDR Anan chose it as their software for their product. Simon Brown got involved with continued work on PSDR. Today mostly because of Simon PSDR is much different than it was. There have been others as well from around the world adding to PSDR.

Today Simon has SDR console, replacing the old long in the tooth PSDR itself.

• Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bill, you're guessing.

I can find no evidence that Simon was involved with the writing of any "Anan software". In fact it was only recently that any Anan radios have even been working with Simon's own software.

Nor can I find any evidence that Simon was in any way connected with any work on any PSDR related or derived code at any time, nor any evidence that Simon utilized any code from PSDR in any of his own works. Simon has stated for the record that his SDRC V3 is a clean-sheet effort.

So stop pretending to be any particular authority on the history of Simon Brown's endeavors in SDR. Your posts basically force me to summarily dismiss everything you say as nothing more than pure conjecture.

• mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Flex support both dbm and s units using their digital bar.  You can always use the api to create a s meter to your liking.  I am sure Flex is not interested in your advice on Simon Brown.  Getting into a pissing contest here is a wasted exercise.  
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I wasn't giving "advice" on Simon Brown. I was correcting misinformation being disseminated by others.

Regardless, whatever I post here isn't posted for Flex's benefit, as I suspect that Flex sadly doesn't bother reading much of what is posted here.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    There was a post on here where some one told Flex to hire Simon Brown.  I don't see it now.  I thought it was you.    
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Not a problem (that post was by KC2QMA_John, it's several posts above).
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Correction!
    Any time I make a statement that is not correct I like to correct it as not to mislead other readers in this forum.
    I stated that Simon Brown had worked on the development of PSDR in the early years of apachy labs radios. It is very possible Simon had no connection with PSDR development.
    I apologize for making an unsupported statement.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.