Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600m

K6ANP
K6ANP Member ✭✭
Flashing red power button when I operate the push to talk on the mike or when I hit the dit or dah on the paddle. When I first turn on the radio the power button the light is green and stay that way until I attempt to transmit. The radio receive okay. This is a brand new radio right out of the box received it yesterday. Any help is appreciated Len, K6ANP I should have added after the power button flashes red a few time the radio shuts down

Comments

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    My first thought is the power supply has an insufficient current rating. What is the voltage at the power supply connections on the back of the radio when transmitting?
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Len,
    I am so sorry that you are having this happens, right when you want to smell that 'new radio' smell while working DX!
    When the red light flashes, does the radio 'reboot' (ie, show the Flex Radio logo, etc.)?
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Geoff is correct, low voltage can cause this. When the red light comes on, it will blink (the number of blinks gives us an error code that helps isolate the problem). How many times does it blink red?
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited February 2020
    Hi

In the Hardware reference manual in the downloads area, there is a manual that explains all the flashing lights:

The front panel of the 6400/6600 contains only the Power button and the radio’s backlights. The Power button is used to turn the radio on and off and is illuminated with a number of colors to indicate the radio’s operational state:

You didn't mention how many flashes.

• FLASHING GREEN: Radio is starting or shutting down
    • SOLID GREEN: Radio is in receive mode
    • FLASHING RED: See Error Conditions below
    • SOLID BRIGHT RED: Transmitting on PA
    • SOLID DIM RED: Transmit engaged, but transmit interlocks are not ready. Refer to the SmartSDR documentation for description of the transmit interlocks.
    • SOLID ORANGE: Transmitting on XVTR port with low power
    • SOLID PURPLE: Radio is performing a software update
    • FLASHING WHITE: Radio is performing a reset to factory defaults
    • OFF: Radio is off

One red flash: Fan malfunction

• Two red flashes: Software crash
    • Three red flashes: Boot failure
    • Four red flashes: Input power over voltage
    • Five red flashes: CPU overcurrent
    • Six red flashes: Input power under voltage

When the optional GPS Disciplined Oscillator is installed:

• SOLID AMBER: Radio is off, GPSDO is powered for stability
    • FLASHING YELLOW: GPSDO is warming up
    • SOLID YELLOW: GPSDO is “holdover” mode (has lost satellites)
    • SHORT FLASH BLUE: GPSDO is locking
    • LONG FLASH BLUE: GPSDO is in “hold phase” mode
    • SOLID BLUE: GPSDO is locked

73, Mike va3mw

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Put test power slider to 2 or 3 then press test button. This may give indication of failure due to higher PS drop in voltage. Use dummy load to test also. Make sure power cable is well seated. Make sure Load is on A port and Ant is on ant 1. Since a brand new radio, help desk ticket after above checks. 73 Bill
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Try with 0 W. Then with 10 W. Do you have the issue with 0 W? Then angage ATU. Then bypass ATU. See if this fixes it. It did for me when I had the exact same issue. Andy KU7T
  • K6ANP
    K6ANP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I found the problem. I have a wireless antenna switching system due to the long distance from the shack to the towers. The link between the wireless units failed and the switch at the far end grounds all the inputs to protect against lightning. That resulted in the radio shutting down instantly to protect it self. Once I restored the antenna switching link all is well! I thank everyone for the help. de K6ANP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.