Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

MARS Operations with SmartSDR

13»

Comments

• Joseph Coffaro
    Joseph Coffaro Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Could i get a copy plz? kb2whb66@gmail.com
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have been trying to find this document too Joseph but I have not heard back from anyone who might have it. If you do finally track it down please let us all know. In the meantime, a new MARS MSC software environment is now available for 2020 and I’d like to arrange a secure online webinar for Flex users to share their configuration setups and get some help setting up. Is anyone here interested?
  • Kg5dwx
    Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I’ll participate RODNEY, 512-496-4301
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have Rodney’s phone for a MARS support session using Flex. Here is mine - 206-465-6963. I’m available to arrange a session in early January 2020. Folks can text my cell to let me know of their interest.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for your assistance today Rodney! If others need help to get MS-DMT configured to their Flex over DAX AND CAT then let me know here — paying it forward!
  • Joseph Coffaro
    Joseph Coffaro Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Could you email me a copy for my flex 6400. Kb2whb66@gmail.com
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    If anyone has a copy of Phil’s original MARS setup document for the Flex could you please let us know in this thread? I have not back heard from Phil and some people I reached out to privately no longer have his document. I have had to work with other mentors on this thread to get things configured. It’s a very tight “club” of MARS members who use Flex. I think those of us who use a Flex for MARS ought to have a online conference call to compare and assist others.
  • Chazz
    Chazz Member
    edited January 2020
    Hi, I'm a new MARS member and I would be very interested in attending a webinar.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hello Chazz, please start by asking Flex support to validate you for a new TURF file for your rig. After that, leave me a voice message at my number. You and I will then need to authenticate according to standard procedures. What is your Amateur Radio callsign?
  • Chazz
    Chazz Member
    edited February 2020
    Hi John,

Left you a voice mail. I have MS-DMT and Station Manager Ver4 set up and  can receive. Having problems with the transmit, cannot get the radio to key up. Any help appreciated.

KN4PTU
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    John, if you have any luck, please fling it my way.  My setup works fine, but it uses VSP and that just seems unnecessary with the way that CAT work on the Flex...but it works, so I haven't tried to come up with a new method that gets rid of that.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi Michael, please email me (QRZ) or text/call me using my number in this thread. Happy to help. I’m not using VSP and have two slices set up for digital/voice. SDR is a growing thing in the MARS community.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    It was good talking to you on the phone Chazz! Sounds like you got things going in the right direction now. I still recommend using SmartSDR DAX and CAT instead of the virtual audio programs that other (non SDR) operators are encouraging - primarily because they recommend what they know works for them but our Flex radios are a “horse of a different color” and we have other/better tools that we can use. Stay in touch. Cheers!
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The software developer of MARS-ALE and the ubiquitous MS-DMT software modem has requested that interested operators with MARS, SHARES, and CFARS licenses -- and those specifically with Flex Radios --  send an email to join his new online group that is looking to develop new software specifically for the Flex Radio MARS environment and for the broader, and still emerging, SDR environment.

Your participation is requested. The developer asked that his message below be reposted:
    Looking forward [to] future development on my end, please tell me what Flex 6000 series model(s) you own and your MARS/SHARES/CFARS callsgn by sending a message [with a subject line of] "FLEX 6000" to: 
    support@marsale.org
    I am a member of his new group myself and am happy to answer any questions I can.

I have reposted here because this group has the highest number of Flex/MARS members following this thread.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2020
    You should start a new Idea post with this info so it is "front and center"
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The developer of MARS ALE and MS-DMT has released a new version of ALE that is specific to the Flex 6000 series. It is his first specific release for our platform (that I know of).

It is available from this groups io page:
    https://groups.io/g/MARS-FLEX6000/topic/file_mars_ale_flex6000_test/75025862?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpo...

And here is his announcement:

Hello,
    This is a notification to let you know that the following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the MARS-FLEX6000@groups.io group.Uploaded By: MARSALE <marsale@morrisbb.net>
    Description:
    FLEX6000 ALE_32 Test Build
    Cheers,
    The Groups.io Team
    Seeing as this community feedback page is being retired by the end of June 2020, and a new community has not yet been established, I recommend that folks download as much content as they can for their archives. I am currently using my Safari web browser to save each page here as a "Web Archive" on my local machine.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    WOO HOO!!!!!!!!

• Could you send me a copy? I'm using a 28Mhz to 144Mhz converter and I can't get TX on the high end of the band. my email: py2msr@gmail.com
  • Josh_N9GQA
    Josh_N9GQA Member
    Phil,
    I would appreciate a copy if it is still applicable.
    Josh N9GQA73@gmail.com
  • William Hammonds
    William Hammonds Member ✭✭

Phil,

I would appreciate a copy

fl370@suddenlink.net

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭

Folks -- I have not heard from Phil since he started this thread. I do have experience using the Flex to operate with the MSC Software suite (including MS-DMT and MARS-ALE) over DAX and CAT. My phone number is in this thread (somewhere) but if anyone has a question then my email can be found on QRZ. Please let me know if I can help. Cheers!

• n1ah
    n1ah Member ✭✭
    Hi All! I've applied for membership to AFMARS, the leadership I spoke to didnt know whether Id be able to use their required software remotely with my 6400 - does this mean I "will" be able to? Trying to find info that I can pass along -

Thank you,
    Adam N1AH
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I would be surprised if you could not.

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭

Yes you can operate their software suite with proper setup and unlocking your radio to operate on their frequencies.

• n1ah
    n1ah Member ✭✭
    > @dlwarnberg said:
    > Yes you can operate their software suite with proper setup and unlocking your radio to operate on their frequencies.

Thats great news, I will let them know. Are you a member of MARS by chance?
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭

Was... past. Will pick it back up in the future when I can dedicate the time needed to keep up with everything.

• Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭

Just be prepared to spend $400 for the extended transmit module. For me, that was a shocker. https://www.flexradio.com/products/flex-6400-6600-extended-transmit-module/

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭

True.. didn't catch that, with my 6500 it was simply a turf file unlock supplied to me from Flex

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.