Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flexradio Maestro hacking

2»

Comments

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

The strange part of this is the Maestro uses a DELL Venue 8 Tablet running MICROSOFT Windows 10. So I would guess the only thing FlexRadio has legal control over is SmartSDR, but I'm no lawyer.

It's just a windows PC tablet running a special version of SmartSDR for the Maestro with some custom hardware and drivers made for it by flex. I would say hack away if you want but just don’t expect FlexRadio to support it after you make any modifications.

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    It wont be long until someone figures out how to hack into the M front panel.  At which point Flex will have a real winner on their hands for the experimenters out there. 

Take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfIo0R57ImA
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

I don't care who does the "hacking" as long as it moves the development of the radio forward at a much more rapid rate!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    So as I understand this,,you guys that are hoping that hacking becomes a regular thing are ok with ending all customer support? and no warranty. Am I getting that right? Explain how hacking would be win for Flex?
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

No Bill Hacking would just be for the experimenters that don't need or want support from flex. So if you just leave you radio stock and don’t mess with it flex will still support it.

Remember Ham radio was built on experimenters/hackers in fact that’s how the Flex radio was born!

I'll be leaving my radio stock as it works well for me as is at the moment. But who knows what the future will bring.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Joe N3HEE I'll try this again. Thanks for the link that thing is amazing.

Why must I do this again? See below which is the second time that Michael Walker has deleted one of my posts. The first time I was told was an accident. Really Mr. Walker???? The second time can be no accident!!!

"Michael Walker, a moderator for FlexRadio, gave this reason for the change:
    Promoting competitive products. Sorry. You are welcome to promote this on your personal blogs and emails."

Mr. Walker you make it appear that Flex is afraid of something? And that they are not confident in their products.  Some may consider Joe's post above to be on par with a Volkswagen post in a Ferrari forum. I doubt the Ferrari moderator would delete it.

This deeply concerns me and I'll make adjustments accordingly.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    If that is what Mr, walker said I fully agree with him. Promoting a competitive product is not in keeping with the reason this Flex forum is here. And it is un ethical. In my opinion.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited January 2020
    I have no issue discussing what you are discussing.  I do have an issue with promoting competitive products on a Forum that is managed for FRS.  This is different than an email forum on some other platform that is not vendor owned.

Consider it this way.  You build antennas for a living and you have a forum to help out your customers.  

Someone else comes along who builds a competitive product.  Someone else starts to talk up how the competitive product.  You don't want your competitor's product promoted on your forum.   It is just being respectful.

You will notice that we do provide a lot of latitude here with comments, etc.  Based on the emails I get from a lot of my customers, maybe too much.  

I will likely close down this dialogue later today since it has run its course and people have expressed their opinions.

If you wish to discuss this further, please call me at my desk.  512-535-4713 x222.   I look forward to talking to you.

Mike

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited January 2020
    All

This has run its course and we thank everyone for their input.

Happy New Year!

Mike 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.