Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Reports of signal fading during a QSO.

Thurman Irving
Thurman Irving Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
  I have a new-to-me Flex 6500 and have received several comments about my signal fading during a QSO.  The PowerSDR RF power meter shows a constant power during the QSO.  How can I determine if the radio is working correctly?  I have a limited period to request correction from the seller.

The radio is Flex 6500 SN 0316-5064-6500-8299.  HW version is v3.1.7.138 with options None.  Software is SmartSDR 3.17.  PS is Astron RS-35M.  I am using a Dell SPS 8700 16GB with Win10.  I am also using FLDIGI 4.1.08.

Thanks, 
Thurman Irving N5SI

Comments

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thurman,

Are you sure its simply not the band conditions?  They are not great these days and QSB is a very real thing in most QSOs
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Band, time of day and location for each fading contact?
  • Dean Davidson
    Dean Davidson Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    You need a meter between antenna and radio to determine if your power is dropping while talking . Dont ever depend on just the meter on the radio. What mic are you using?
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    External power meter will put your concerns to rest.
    Borrow one from a friend if you do not have one.
  • Dean Davidson
    Dean Davidson Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    NEIL has a good point Band conditions are not real good here lately.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2019
    Thurman

The only way to test this is to watch the RF power out with a calibrated watt meter and a good dummy load.    Band conditions and possible antenna health can contribute to signal reports like you are hearing.

Another data point would be to have a local (meaning 5 miles or so) listen to you.  But, again, it would be subject to the above test if they also heard a signal fade.

My other comment is that could it be your mic position when compared to your mouth?  Long QSO's can result and the mic moving further away from your mouth.

Those are just some ideas.

Mike

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    There has been lots of QSB on signals lately. Band conditions are horrible.
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thurman,
    You might also consider listening to your signal via one of the remote receivers on the internet and see if it's just conditions. Let us know how it performs on the dummy load.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Band Conditions? I have not seen anything lately that resembles usable band conditions. Try talking with someone in your local area, like 5 to 7 miles away. Else, launch a kickstarter go fund me campaign, and buy us some sunspots....
  • Bob  N0IS
    Bob N0IS Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Thurman,

A monitor scope in the transmit line will always let you know what it going on with your transmit signal.

Bob, N0IS

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    One other thing to check is if the processor is on or not. Recommended to have processor on and in normal setting. This will help keep tx level more consistent.

Dave wo2x
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    To monitor your output RF strength, a low-tech solutions is a field strength meter using a 1N34A diode, some caps and a VTVM for read out.

Tim - k3Tim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.