Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR Uninstall Program

Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
After a recent Windows 10 major update, the audio through Dax to my 3rd party programs (WSJT,  Hamradio Deluxe and JS8Call) was so distorted that it was unusable.  So I had to do a complete uninstall as per Flexradio Support as well as deleting Flexradio from the registry as well.

I followed the Flexradio support SmartSDR removal  as per ( https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204975589-How-to-do-a-Complete-uninstall-of-SmartSDR-for-Windows-from-your-PC?_ga=2.162207932.1219493351.1567860732-1974198322.1550607761) but it did not solve the problem.
I had to clear the registry as well.  That solved the problem.

Could Flex not create a proper uninstall batch file to do all the work for us.  I spent about 2 hours doing this. 

They create an install program to install it all. 

Bill Reid
VA3QB

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019

Seems like this question comes up almost every day. Maybe you will be the magic one to get a straight answer. You also would be doing a great service if you would describe exactly how you cleared the registry.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    An alternative that has worked for me (so far) is Revo UninstallerPro which seems to completely uninstall and finds all the little remnants everywhere, which I also delete. 
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019

Likewise, a detailed description of using this program would be helpful as there seems to be several alternatives to choose from (i.e. scan) when deleting a program.
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I for one think Flex creating an uninstall program. When I install software there is almost always an uninstall in the directory it creates to remove the software if I wish. 

• Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Jim
    I don't recommend anyone that has not done registry work before, do not try to edit it.  I learned from a person a decade ago that was a computer science major...   now I have my own, my son.  But if you try, you could "brick" your operating system and would have to completely reinstall Windows which is a real pain in the ****.  
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Best remedy for all these problems is to stop updates altogether. Flex software does not need all these updates to run properly. If u lookup in my profile you'll find instructions on how to do this.
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I agree with your suggestion.  I use Revo Uninstaller, which I recommend.  Now that I am running Windows 10 (ugh), I understand the pain caused by Win10 to SSDR users.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Revo uninstaller works well. What you want to do is do an uninstall, then a deep scan. Select to remove DAX and CAT as well . Note that the SSDR uninstaller will ask if you want to restart. do NOT restart, that will interrupt the process. After finishing the scan, delete the files Revo found. Then do the Then you reboot.

And now that Windows updates are renaming the DAX drivers, check to see if you have any of those drivers left. Scorch 'em. Check your com ports, and look for ghosted ones. Same thing.

Reboot, then reinstall.

Wouldn't you hate to have to rely on a Windows 10 SSDR install if your life depended on it working when you booted?

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    You really shouldn't have to go into the registry for even a scorched earth SSDR uninstall/reinstall.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019

Does Revo safely remove items in the registry? I wonder if Flex has an opinion on using Revo and if Tim would endorse its usage? Other than Tim's uninstall program which seems incomplete in that it doesn't address the registry it would be interesting to see what their opinion would be.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I don't think you need to remove anything in the registry. You could scan and remove things with CCleaner if you wanted. Back up the registry when prompted. 

Most if not all problems with W10 and SSDR come about when an update comes in, then removes files, or changes their names for some unknown reason.

The reason a lot of us go scorched earth, is that this problem has become so repetitive, so pervasive, that we just don't feel like making troubleshooting W10 SSDR the focus of our Amateur Radio hobby. 

So if something stops working, we just scorch and rebuild.
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Exactly right--the sign of a poorly configured uninstaller.
  • Anthony Scandurra
    edited September 2019

Create a file called RemoveDAXRegistryEntries.reg with the following contents:

======================================================= 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREFlexRadio Systems DAX TX]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservicesFlexRadioSystemDAXService_TX]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREFlexRadio Systems DAX IQ]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservicesFlexRadioSystemDAXService_IQ]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREFlexRadio Systems DAX MIC Audio]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservicesFlexRadioSystemDAXService_MICAudio]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREFlexRadio Systems DAX Audio]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservicesFlexRadioSystemDAXService_Audio]

Then, create a command file called RemoveDAXRegistryEntries.cmd to run regedit using the .reg file you just created with the following contents:

@echo off

regedit /s RemoveDAXRegistryEntries.reg

Then, run the .cmd file.

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Yes, Revo safely removes Registry entries. That is the first section of the "Scan" operation that follows the execution of the program's uninstall routine.  The second section of the scan looks for other files.  I've used Revo for years and never had a problem with it.   Without removing extraneous registry entries, the file just continues to grow with unnecessary junk. 
  • Steve Blankinship AG4SO
    Steve Blankinship AG4SO Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I for one would welcome a tailored uninstall program, while a retired radio tech creating files like what Anthony suggest are beyond myself and many others. trying anything in the  register with out knowing what you are doing can be very dangerous. Somethings are just better left to the experts.
    73's Steve

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Exactly, Steve. I've made this suggestion several times. Because Windows updates wreck systems. I just had an update wreck our 7610's digital modes, after Microsoft decided that the needed files weren't needed. The network is usually air gapped, but someone decided to tether 4G to the network.

My bad - gotta go block W10 updates on that network now.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    The stuff left behind by SSDR removal is pretty innocuous, but you never know what a W10 update is going to treat you with, and really, it gets old troubleshooting, and I'm not certain knowing the exact thing that was wrecked in any one update matters, so away it goes!
  • Francesco Doenz
    Francesco Doenz Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Sorry to chyme in, but I am pretty new using Flexradio, IS IT POSSIBLE TO STOP WINDOWS UPDATING bejond 35 days?
    Many thanks for your inputs!
  • Ray - K6LJ
    Ray - K6LJ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Yes check the internet for group polices. I adjusted mine to exclude auto updates. The computer will not update unless you say ok. I only update when i have time and always have to rename DAX drivers. Controlled mayhem! You could go forever with the updates waiting to be installed if you wanted but that of course is not the best idea. After renaming the DAX drivers a few times it is much easier.. traveling at the present or would give you the link. Good luck. Ray
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    As a consultant and user since DOS I have NEVER seen a Windows program uninstaller that removes everything it's program installs on a system. I believe it's just lazy and sloppy programming. As others have said CCleaner has allowed me to keep my existing PC running from it's original Windows 7 install to the latest Windows 10. Just like Bill who started this post I had to use the Flex document to "fix" my CAT and DAX with my last SSDR update. I haven't used Revo uninstaller but it sounds like a good utility?
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    @Francesco, I use “solution 3” in this link to meter my network connection. https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    My goodness, for how many years is this dialog going to keep coming back before Flex addresses it in some fashion!!??

In the meantime, my solution is to use Windows Pro which gives me the option to delay major feature updates by up to a year and security updates by seven days. 

https://www.pcmag.com/article/362284/how-to-delay-major-windows-10-updates

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    The real issue is why does Window's 10 updates corrupt anything in SmartSDR?

It hits some and not others.  I have never had a issue at all.  Has anyone looked into why some people have problems?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    What can Flex do about it,,it's not their problem. Many other companies besides Flex are having trouble from **** updates as well. With all the people and money at Microsft, they still can't fix their updating problems that break things all over the world.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I am thinking that whatever steps folks take to fix the problem(s) could be turned into a script, batch file, or exe, to make it a one step fix, but perhaps that's being naive about the how complicated the problem is. 
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I went for over a year with no problems. Now I get hit with something on most updates. For folks that want to commiserate, I fixed a W10 problem that hit an IC7610 yesterday.

Drivers, especially audio drivers are the latest target of Microsoft updates. For some bizzare reason, W10 updates have taken to renaming DAX audio drivers. And kinda randomly. First time it hit me, Microsoft decided that all of my Dax Drivers needed to be serialized IQ drivers. Last two times, it was less drivers, but the real IQ drivers were renamed. That was when I got two updates in one day, and two breaks. 

With the IC7610, Microsoft decided that the audio driver for USB from computer to radio needed erased altogether.

I think the problem that Flex has with trying to fix this is that it's like a game of Whack-a-Mole. Something different most every time.

W10 is abusing the bejabbers out of it's users. But as long as they stay with Windows, Microsoft doesn't care.  
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    If you want to see the ultimate lazy and sloppy uninstall process, I once revo'ed an install of Microsoft office. Yikes! There must have been thousands of files left, I'm I'm failry sure a number of them were active. 

I do three things when setting up a new computer. Install CCleaner, Revo, and use Edge to download FireFox and Chrome.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Microsoft doesn't do anything about it because users won't switch. They'll grumble, but go right on using it.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I switched in 1984 :-)
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I've been a Mac User since Toaster days. In 2011, I took up Linux, and thought I was through with the monter from Redmond. 

Then I bought my Flex
    Then Windows 10 came out and upset the apple cart.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.