Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using the Flex-6300 tune button with an Icom AH-4 external tuner.

Is my reasoning correct?

The software has provision to set the tune power and use the tune button with an external tuner.

There is a tune button on SmartSDR with a tune power slider. The TUNE power is set to 10W and saved in the 6300 profile settings.

The AH-4 tuner can then be keyed into Tune state with the ground signal from the TX RCA relay jack.

Tjerk ZS1J/ ZS6P

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited September 2019
    Hi Tjerk

Yes, that should work.  There is an RCA PTT lead on the radio that you turn on and then it grounds when the radio goes into TX.  If that is all you require you should be good to go.

I haven't played with an AH4 (or was it a 3) since the mid 90's, so I forget how it gets into TX.  I thought it was RF sensing.

Mike 
  • Tjerk Lammers
    Tjerk Lammers Member
    edited September 2019
    Tnx Mike
    I will send you the proposed schematic if you are still interested.
    Tjerk ZS1J/ ZS6P

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Tjerk:

The AH-4's "START" line is a momentary closure, which in turn, keys the transmitter by grounding the "KEY" line until the tuning cycle is finished. I guess it would be possible to ignore the KEY line, and just have the PTT output close the START line to start the tuning process, and then manually end it when the tuning is done. But won't the PTT output go to ground every time the rig is in transmit? If so, it'll constantly be starting a tuning cycle on each transmission.

There are several schematics for a manual interface for the AH-4 tuner, but they all require a manual push of a START button. The reason I didn't go that way, is that much of my operation is remote via Smartlink over the internet.

Charlie KB8CR
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    There was a circuit kit from a Japanese ham that fully automated the AH-4, but I think it is now sold out. Here is a link to the kit: http://www.momose.com/hirofumi/jj2pnx/atucont/index.htm

It now says "sold out". I contacted him over a year ago, and he was willing to send a kit to the US, but I wasn't keen on building it to see how it worked. So, I went with a SG-230 tuner, which needs nothing but RF to tune. The SG-239 is a low-cost version (~ $210 US) of the SG-230, which might fit your needs. It isn't weather-proof like the 230, but I've seen it installed in a waterproof box before.

Charlie KB8CR
  • Tjerk Lammers
    Tjerk Lammers Member
    edited September 2019
    " But won't the PTT output go to ground every time the rig is in transmit? If so, it'll constantly be starting a tuning cycle on each transmission."

You are correct Charlie and thus:

I was set up to send both a tune command to the AH-4 as well as the correct 10 W carrier when the Flex-6300 [Tune] button is clicked but when the Flex goes into normal transmit we no longer want that signal from the RCA TX socket.

Can this be set up in the profile, or is there a signal available from the accessory socket that would only be present if the Flex is put into tune?

"There are several schematics for a manual interface for the AH-4 tuner, but they all require a manual push of a START button."

The fully automated JJ2PNX controller is very nice but way above my skills.

I want to do it without RF sensing (KISS principle) but I would still like to go without a push button.

Tjerk ZS1J/ ZS6P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.