Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote turn on KPA500 ?

W2ECK
W2ECK Member ✭✭
So my station is now setup to turn on Astron power supply, KAT 500 tuner and Flex 6600 remotely. That leaves the KPA500 amplifier. Is anyone turning that on remotely ? It seems just turning it on/off not an issue with wifi plug, but how to switch from Standby to Operate is the question?

73 Paul w2eck

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited September 2019
    Hi Paul

Yes, several hams do that remotely.  

If you talk to Elecraft, they can describe how their software can be used remotely, but it does require a PC to be left on that is connected to the amplifier by an RS232 cable.  The KPA500 utility can be run in a 'client/server' mode.  I did this for years.  This would be the method I would highly recommend as it is the easiest to get started with.  Then, just connect to the PC by your radio with TeamViewer or something similar.

I also have a utility that runs on a RPI that gives you a Web interface.  In this case, you would need the RS232 port on the KPA500 to be connected to the RPI.  Look in the community here for a project many of us are working on with an IBM product called Node-Red.

As for power, I have a Remote Web switch that switches my 220VAC on and off.  However, I did build my own.  Again, I  used my Node-Red utility to do that.

Mike va3mw

• Dennis Terry W4SG
    Dennis Terry W4SG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Michael, In using the KPA500 utility to power on the amp, can I assume that as long as the KPA500 has power, even if off,  it is "listening" for commands.  I realize that this is an Elecraft question but nothing like from the lips of a user that made it work.  Thanks, 73 Dennis
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited September 2019
    Yes, if you power down the Amp by the utility, it still listens for on/off commands.  I've done this for years.

If you run it from 110V, a good quality Web switch can be used for 110V connections.  I did that for years before switching it over to 220.

Mike

• Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi Paul:

I use a USR N540 Ethernet to serial converter to remotely control my KPA500 with Elecraft KPA500 Utility software.   The converter also controls a Green Heron RT-21 and SteppIR SDA100 controller. 

With an Ethernet to serial converter, you don't need a running PC in the shack -- the remote PC makes a direct network connection over the Internet via port forwarding through your router to the KPA500. The Elecraft app provides all control functions and reports operating parameters. 

USR-N540:
    https://www.amazon.com/USR-N540-RS232-Ethernet-RS485-Converter/dp/B01B7I5Q34

KPA500 Utility:
    https://elecraft.com/pages/kpa500-500-watt-linear-amplifier-firmware-and-utility

Good luck and 73,
    Larry KB1VFU

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Larry - now that sounds like what I was looking for. Not having to leave a pc running at the home QTH. Thanks for the idea and the product links.

73 Paul w2eck
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Paul,

I and two my of my ham radio friends have been using the USR N540 converter for more than two years without a hitch. Another is using a single port USR converter. 

First time setup can be a little challenging (you need to configure the USR ports and set up port forwarding on your router), so should you decide to get one and need help, be sure to let me know via e-mail on QRZ.com

Here is the Elecraft KPA Utility on screen:

Larry KB1VFU

• W0GEN
    W0GEN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thank you!  The USR-N540 is a solution for me!

• Barry Isseks
    Barry Isseks Member ✭✭

KPA500 remote software across the WAN is not working for me. Anyone got this working ? Local computer as host, server active and WAN computer can't connect with working DDNS and port forward set as directed... suggestions ?

Barry K6ZA

• Mike-VA3MW

Barry, you may want to ask Elecraft. When I last used a KPA500 it worked for me. You will have to verify that your DDNS and port forwards are actually working and that your remote WAN IP address is not a Carrier Grade NAT type of connection. If SmartLink works, then you are NOT a CGNAT connection.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.