Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro won't power up after being left on shelf

Russ
Russ Member
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Maestro won't power up after sitting on shelf for almost a year. I followed the instructions sent from Support on how to charge the tablet with an external charger using the cable that was suggested and there was no change.  After reading several forum posts I opened up the tablet and reseated the battery connector. I measured the battery voltage and it read 0.07vdc leading me to believe the battery was discharged too far to be charged again.

When the tablet is plugged into a 5v 2a charger it never draws any current. I would think  it would draw something when plugged in even if it can't charge the battery.  Does anyone think replacing the battery is worth a try?  I'm not interested in sending it back to Flex for repair since this seems like it could easily reoccur. 

Answers

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Yes, replacing the internal battery will resolve the problem. Totally worthwhile to replace yourself.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    Hi Russ

Sorry to hear about that.  I assume you have a support case open.  You might want to follow up with that.  

Mike va3mw

• Russ
    Russ Member
    edited August 2019
    I do, but the email mentioned it would be $100/hr to take a look at it so I'd like to explore other options.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    just put it up for sale "as is"  just let the buyer knows that it needs a new battery

• Russ
    Russ Member
    edited August 2019
    I'll see if a new battery will revive it as my plan is to sell the 6700 and it would be nice if it had a working Maestro.
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I have brought my Nikon Camera battery back to life and IT'S been working nicely 6 more years from when it was discharged below where the charger would recognize it.
    (same with car and motorcycle batteries)

I had at the time a LAB power supply it had zero - X  adjustable output voltage and it had a current limiting adjuster...  It was a 2AMP maximum supply...  Quite precision device...  I hooked the battery to the supply set the current limiter and brought the voltage off zero...  I kept the current limited to 1.5A until the thing started obviously taking power.

As the battery started indicating less current I'd bring up the voltage.  Over most of a day I monitored the battery temp by touching before I turning up the voltage.  When it had come up to whatever I felt was a goodly amount I then plugged the battery into my fast charger. You don't want to rush things...  the battery for my Nikon was nearly $70 and I wasn't going to give up on it that easily...  As I've said the battery made complete recovery...

**** me I accidentally left the camera on overnight after that once more and went through the process again to bring it back, now I check for leaving it on, the thing won't auto off...  Anyway...

Some of these other batteries if not swollen, but just discharged may be recovered utilizing such a laboratory supply..  I ended up selling the supply on eBay as its only function around here was fixing an old battery twice in my life...

It is possible...  Erika DD
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Russ, as you are already good with accessing the battery you could try charging it directly?

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com 

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I would but you really need to follow the cautions and procedure I outlined in my post. Nothing worse than a battery explosion.  However a gentle touch could save you additional expense.  Unless you can't gain access to a supply that can slowly bring up voltage while limiting the current to a safe value.  Erika DD

• Russ
    Russ Member
    edited August 2019
    I tried charging the battery directly (after doing a lot of reading about it) using a Sparkfun LiPo charger at 500ma and  brought the voltage up to 3.6v from 2.4v.  It still has no voltage on the battery connector when plugged in and won't charge using the internal charger.  I think the battery packs protection is not resetting. I'm going to wait until the new battery arrives in a few days before going forward.

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/maestro-a-internal-battery-charging-procedure-pdf/?wpdmdl=3128&a...

the above link is how to revive the battery in the tablet of a Maestro  

When this battery falls below restart level of the tablet
    as when it has been let to sit for a while without power being applied...
    and
    another issues is
    leaving it always powered up causes the table battery to swell and warp the Maestro Screen to make it look like it has burn in issues...

all of these are well known issue for ALL Maestro

there is similar procedure for rev B maestro
    Paul K3SF

• Russ
    Russ Member
    edited September 2019
    The new battery came in today, I installed it in the tablet and it WORKS!

Thanks for all the information.

Russ
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    would you mind letting us know the battery number ?

Thanks a lot
    Bret

• Russ
    Russ Member
    edited September 2019
    This is the battery I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N06RWFH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.