Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

MARS operation with SmartSDR v3.0.27+ on Flex 6400

Eddie Jennings
Eddie Jennings Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in Third-Party Software
I have a new Flex 6400, which replaced my Flex 3000 used almost daily in MARS service for nearly 10 years.

I can't get my new Dell laptop running Windows 10 Home with Flex 6400 directly connected via ethernet cable to work with MARS programs: MS-DMT V2.00 and Station Manager V4. 

I've tried com0com and VSP Manager with existing setups posted here. I suspect that I'm making operator errors, in that my como0com and VSP manager User Interfaces don't show Flex SmartSDR settings and I don't know how to reconcile both.

In addition, I'm not sure how the DAX TX settings map to COM ports.

I will gladly document my successful setup and will provide via MARS channels and upon MARS approval provide back to this Flex community.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2019
    Hi Eddie You might want to watch this. There is no need for com0com or VAC anymore. You use SmartSDR CAT and DAX. https://youtu.be/RXeMMayB3-o Mike
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Eddie, as Michael pointed out there is no need for com0com or VAC to connect the 6400 to the MS-DMT modem software, it interfaces nicely. However, you need com0com to interface the MS-DMT modem to Station Manager, but it has nothing to do with a Flex.

I just configured a MARS friends' 6400 and SSDR V2.5 to SM and MS-DMT and it is very simple once you have SmartSDR CAT configured for a Cat port for a Slice.

BTW, I configured my friends setup so that he had 2 slices running on his MARS freq. Slice A was configured for NTIA USB Voice, and Slice B was the same freq but configured as DIGU so it was optimized for digital and this was the Slice that was interfaced to Sm and MS-DMT. 

Once all configured and tweaked it was then saved as a Global profile for easy recall (also a Mic and Transmit profile should be configured also).
  • w6vm
    w6vm Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Eddie, i am the state mars director for Air Force Mars Ohio. i can help you out with that if need be.
    let us know. i use it everyday and it works fine.
    steve

• Eddie Jennings
    Eddie Jennings Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hello Gary,
         First of all, Thank you. 
         I set up SmartSDR CAT for COM5. NTIA USB Voice: CAT, Serial, Flex VSP, Slice A, Auto SwitchTX slice Enabled, SOQR(normal),
          and COM6, DIGU. CAT, Seria,l Flex VSP, Slice B, Auto SwitchTX slice Enabled SOQR(normal),

Then I configured com0com for: virtual pair: COM6, COM 66 wi9th no options selected.

I set Station Manager for COM6, 9600, 8N1, Software Flow Control and MS-DMT to Data Port 44, CAT PORT 66, 9600, 8N1, RIG=NONE, PTT=RS232.

I get the error upon launching MS-DMT- CAT port Failed to Open.

Any additional help is Very Appreciated,
          Eddie Jennings, AJ4OC

• Eddie Jennings
    Eddie Jennings Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thank you, Steve,
          I will respond to this forum and will gladly document for MARS use.
               Very Respectfully,
            Eddie Jennings, AJ4OC
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Well this part really has nothing to do with the Flex but if I decipher what you listed above I see several issues. Since comm0comm is set for 6 & 66 this is strictly for SM and MSDMT. SM should be set to COM6 and the MS-DMT Data port should be 66. Data rates need to match. I am at a loss with your Port 44 listed above.

You also list Com 6 for the VSP of your Slice B, this is incorrect. As I noted in my first message comm0comm has nothing to do with Flex. This port for Slice B needs to be changed, say to COM7 just as an example.

Then on the Rig side of MS-DMT you need to set the Rig setting such as (in the red circle):
    And put in the Rig CAT port whatever you set Slice B to. The black circles the link to SM, which should be 66 in your example.

• Eddie Jennings
    Eddie Jennings Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hello Gary and Steve,
        Thank you Both. Gary I made the recommended changes and now it all works fine!
         I documented my setup and will gladly provide to other MARS members.

Have a great evening,
             Eddie Jennings, AJ4OC

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Great, it's not too difficult. Just need to know which settings are what. I dont comprehend why the use a virtual comm port between SM and MS-DMT, and not some sort of TCP connection.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭

So an update … I have been running MS-DMT for years now (32-bit BETA C version is the best version to date — do NOT use the 64-bit version from 2018).

DATA PORT should be zero (0) and TCP/IP should be checked ON. Set CAT to the port number managed by your SmartSDR CAT assignment.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.