Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smartlink Setup

Santiago Mejia HI8O
Santiago Mejia HI8O Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Ok, bear with on this just my third week with my Flex 6330 (so far all your advices on my previous questions have been right on the spot). So far I’ve been able to make the flex work, added slice master, DDUtil, and is working perfectly with my IPad while on the same network. I love this radio, there’s no coming back from Flex (haven’t turned on my 7300 in 3 weeks), But, I have and issue with Smartlink to operate remote out of the house. I don’t have static IP from y provider, so if I’m not mistaken I need port forwarding on my router, but I’m not sure what’s the best way to achieve it. I’m not that computer savvy but I manage to get things done, so any advice will be welcome. If it is on a “101 for dummies” much better. PS: forgot to mention I have a Linksys LGS108P switch between my provider router and the rest of the house. Thanks, Santiago HI8SMX

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    You do not need a static IP address to use SmartLink- it will work fine with most residential implementations of dynamic addresses. As long as the Internet-facing interface in your router has a “public” (i.e. routable) IP address, and your router support UPnP or port forwarding, you should be fine. If your router supports UPnP, and it is enabled, all you need to do is register for the SmartLink account, register the radio using the SSDR chooser (or the M radio chooser), chose the test button for SmartLink after signing in, and you should be good to go. If the test fails, hover over the red fail indicator, and you should get a message, I believe. You will only have serious difficulties if your provider uses “double NAT”, or “Carrier agrade NAT”. You can tell that is the case if your routers WAN (Internet) address is not routable (i.e. starts with “10.”, “172.16-32”, or “192.168.”. Good luck.
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    We had issues with a Provider that does not use real IPV4 , only IPV6 which does not yet work with smartlink

• Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited August 2019
    Good morning Ted, thanks for comment. I did tried with the Test button and got an error. I'm trying to configure port forwarding on my Router (Huawei HG8245H).
    My router address certainly starts with "10". 
    What you recommend on this case? Should I contact provider? or there is a do it at home process?
    Thanks in advance.
    Santiago
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2019
    Hi Santiago

To help us out, some more information is required.

First, if you have not done this already, make sure  look at the Section 9 of the SmartSDR manual as it does outline every step.

If you have done all that and the test fails, the next step is to log into your Router and look for something called uPNP and make sure that it is turned on.  

The other question we need to know more about your network.   Can you tell us if you have any special devices like wifi extenders, mesh, etc?  All of these can case uPNP to fail and then your 'test' will also fail.

Mike 
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Is that 10. address on the WAN side of the router? I.e. the single connection that goes to the outside world, not the multiple wired or wireless connections that face your network (i.e. your computer devices)? Typically all inside devices, your computers, etc., will have the 10. or 192.168. addresses, not the outside. If you log in to your router it should give you the WAN address - not sure what the Huawei router calls it. It would normally have gateway and DNS addresses associated with it.
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited March 2020
    Thanks Ted and Mike, I'm closer now. Managed to access router and configured port forwarding, etc. Registered my radio, verified account both on iPad and iPhone. Smartlink is detecting my Flex but get "No response from Smartlink Server". 

I'm set to read Manuals and guides again, will let you know how it goes. 

Santiago
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Santiago, Play with the settings in SSDR on iPhone/iPad - I think your issue is there. Remember, SmartSDR remote operation only works remotely - I tested my setup by linking my Wifi iPad to my iPhone acting as a hotspot - that got my iPad on the cellular data network, then SSDR could 'work it's magic'. The attached image is how I access my radio, I did this out of curiosity, not need. I run a dynamic dns client on a PC at my remote location, I set up port forwarding on the remote location router, then I can use the dynamicdns URL (web address) and get right to my remote radio. I think your issue involves the setting on this page - you shouldn't need dynamic dns as I choose to use. Is use smartlink enabled? Is your device outside the local network the radio is on? Hope this helps, Ken, N2VIPimage
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited March 2020
    I haven't been able to get Smartlink to work. Like I said, when in the same network, I can connect thru iPad and work everything fine. But when trying to connect via Smartlink from another network (from iPad or iPhone) I get the message "No response from Smartlink Server". 

I don't know why it's picking a different ip (148...) when using Smartlink.

Could anyone please take a look at the following screen shots and tell me if I'm missing something.

Some notes:
    - I have several wifi routers at home, but radio is connected with ethernet cable
    - I have Voip phone with my phone provider
    - PC with SSDR is available via Teamviewer, Anydesk  

Thanks in advance.

73, Santiago

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    (I hate iPad keyboards - edit required below to clarify.) Everything looks normal. The “148.255...” address is your “public” (WAN) Internet address through which the SmartLink connection from your app will access your radio. The “10.0.0.119” address is your internal address for the radio on your LAN. As long as your radio’s LAN address has not changed, and is still 10.0.0.119 as shown in the port forward page, it should work. You can check by going to the Menu/Network screen on the front panel of your “M” radio to verify the radio’s IP address (and the front panel’s). You can go to your Internet router to see what its WAN address is, and verify it is 148.255.252.115 - it should be listed. Either that, or use one of the many “what’s my IP” web sites to verify your WANaddress. The “In use” address of 10.0.0.78 is presumably your front panel, or any other GUI attached to the radio. I’m sorry, but I do not know what “server” is referred to in the error message “No response from SmartLink Server” :-( If it means to refer to the radio, that is a lousy message (should be “Radio Server”). Does it really refer to the “SmartLink Server”? That is part of the infrastructure supplied by FRS. I have not seen this message, so someone with direct knowledge of the SmartLink system will need to answer that..
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited August 2019
    Thanks Ted, as matter of fact, when I woke up this morning tried again and it connected nicely. I guess it was a network issue. I will try some qso’s later today from work
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited March 2020
    Hello all. I’m having some issues connecting my Flex 6300 to SDR for iOS., only this time I have two different problemas.

Like the first time I tried, when I connect to Smartlink, I get an error “Smart Link Connect. No response from Smartlink Server” and does not connect.

In addition when I try to connect with Ipad using the same network, the radio connects and the it closes right away and it get disconnected.

Checked on router and everything seems normal, SDR is picking up the radio both in Smart Link and in same network, but does not connect. UdP is configured in router, IP address are Ok.

Any ideas on what to check?

73 de Santiago, HI8SMX Edit: I can connect in the same network via my iPhone, but not vía de iPad.
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited March 2020
    I give up. Can't seem to find what's wrong with my network/flex/smartlink. Cannot connect thru Smart Link (but the radio is found) get "Smart Link Connect. No response from Smartlink Server" error and that's it. In the same network, I get "Cannot Connect (4076863489)" and that's it. 

Portforwarding is working and configured. Smart Link Test is successful when connecting to the radio. TCP and UDP are configured accordingly.

Don't know what else to do. What else can I check? 

Santiago
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited January 2020
    Hi Santiago,

on the screenshots I can at least see one thing which is wrong. You seem to have port-forwarded the Radio Ports manually in your router, which is fine. But you Setup SmartLink in „Automatic“ mode and this is wrong then. Use the manual mode (the Button right to the Automatic button) and enter exactly the same ports you have forwarded on your Router.

Then, on the Radio Info Screenshot you sent, you will need to scroll further down to see, which ports are being used for the SmartLink connection. They should be identical to the ports you manually forwarded.

However, the cannot connect to SmartLink Server means exactly what it says: A Connection to the FlexRadio SmartLink Server (which is needed for a successful SmartLink connection) is not possible because it is not responding. This could either be the case because it’s indeed offline or has some issues (but then you should also not be able to use SmartLink from any other device) or it can’t be connected from your current device (e.g. network Firewall or something else).

Hope this helps,
    73, Marcus, DL8MRE 

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I'm new customer, excellent software, piece of cake to set up! now need to do my homework to setup  FT8, advises are welcome

Thanks Marcus for made my day!!

George
    YV5WZ, HC1OOT & PY3ZZZ
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have one advice :  Don´t set FT8 up. This is  the end of amateur radio. It was ment for 6M double Hop E-Skip , not for everyday DX hunting.

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hey Ha Gei

80% my QSO are phone contacts, 20% any others CW, Digi Modes

Greetings
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited March 2020
    Would appreciate restraining from entering into the discussion of mode vs mode, and the end of amateur radio, etc., as it is not the nature of this community. 
    Thanks for understanding.

santiago

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.