Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Trade up options?

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm considering once again trading in (if/when) flex has one again my FLEX-6500.... so I am now questioning which Radio would be best to trade up to... the FLEX-6700 or the New model 6600 or 6600M... 

So I ask myself... do I need more then 4 slices?  No but would be nice to have
Why upgrade?  I want to do full duplex SAT without having to use the switches (I use switches between RX and TX side for two separate transverters)..

So I'm debating... wait and trade up at some point and if I do to which radio... stick with what I have and just purchase the IC-9700, it will do everything I need for SAT work as well as local repeaters, etc...

Thoughts?

All feedback is welcome

Thanks
David
KK4QOE

Answers

• Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Im pretty happy with my 6600... Certainly nothing in the way I use the radio requires me to have the 6700... IMO, I like the current form factor of the 6400/6600 etc. Since the DSP's are the same between 6600/6700, I can only guess that once a new DSP pops, we will see a 6800. Time will tell.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    The 6700 is nice if you do 2 meter SSB.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    6600 or 6700 would be my vote but NOT M model 6600.  If you want the Maestro then buy it separate so you can use it wherever you want.

Mark
  • N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I tend to agree with Mark WS7M. The base 6600 with a Maestro gives you more mobility and flexibility....but everyone has an opinion! Hi Hi!

If you are going to go the IC9700 route, remember it only has one amp port. So if you use separate amps for the higher frequencies, you will have to do some amp switching....

Lou N2TU
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2019
    Hi David

Off the top of my head:
    • 6600 and 6700 both give you 2 SCU's.  That is a big difference and it allows you to make use of 2 different antennas at the same time
    • You get a new 2 year warranty
    • The 6600 gives you 7th order band pass filters and 4 slices
    • The 6700 gives you 8 slices
    • The 6700 gives you 2M at 5mw out but with the addition of the Q5 Signals amp you get 75 Watts out!  http://q5signal.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=73.  Doing 2M on a 6700 allows you to be on 2M SSB, 2M Meteor Scatter, 2M FT8 and more.  All on 1 amplifier, 1 feedline and 1 antenna.   You can't do that with any other radio.
    • Like I mentioned on 2M above, you can do the same on any other band as well.
    • The 6600 can support 2 transverters and be able use both of the at the same time (Again, the Q5 Signals ones are great)
    I'm sure there are a few more things, but (speaking as a Ham) I went from a 6300 to a 6500 and it was one of the best moves I made.  Having both SCU's makes it worth while.

I hope that helps some, Mike 
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Much depends on what's more important to you, internal 7th order contest filters, or having 8 receiver slices.

If you operate, or plan to operate in close RF field environment such as FD, or have other hams that live close by, the contest filtering of the 6600/M may be helpful, otherwise the 7th order contest filtering is unnecessary. 

As for Sat work, the 6700 only has one Transverter port (vs two on the 6600/M), although the 6700 has 2M capability which can drive a second Transverter, so I feel the 1 vs 2 Transverter comparison is a wash.

I've bought my 6700 back in October 2015, and feel there's zero benefit moving to a 6600/M.  I enjoy having the ability to open an 8 slice profile and be able to see the majority of HF bands at once.   I have no need for contest filters, but if the need ever did arise I could always add them externally.  Plus I very much enjoy the low profile of the 6300,6500,6700 case. 

My .02.  
  • K1DLM
    K1DLM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I vote for the 6700.  It has a smaller form factor and includes the 2m band.

Dave
    K1DLM

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I'm not 100% certain about this but I believe the 6700 also offers one additional level of RF Gain (over the 6600/M)... +40db. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Both good choices. 

I went with 6600 non-M and a new V2 Maestro. The Maestro gives me more FLEXability to move about. I also have a V1 Maestro in my office at work and a 6500 installed at a remote location which is shared with our county RACES team.

iPad and iPhone app also works great for impromptu operating.

Dave wo2x

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thank you.... " I went from a 6300 to a 6500 and it was one of the best moves I made.  Having both SCU's makes it worth while."  ??  Do you mean from a 6300 to a 6700?? I went from a 6300 to the 6500 so I could do MARS
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Good your doing research, I have a few freinds that are very disapointed with the Icom 9700. It drifts off freq after warming up making sat work almost impossible.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I kind of like the low profile as well....

Thanks
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Ouch... that's not good.. have not heard that one...

Thanks
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I assume my GPSDO unit would move over to the 6700 without issue?
  • K1DLM
    K1DLM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    The GPSDO from the 6500 will work in the 6700. 
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2019
    The IC-9700 does drift, but it does not exceed the specs presented by Icom.  I did some research on this and you can find some online tests.  
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I've read comments here that the 6600/6600M has better cooling due to the larger case and possibly  more reliable fan than the 6700.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I don't know if the cooling is really better. But different, with advantages.
    They moved to one fan, down from four fans.
    The larger fan runs slower.
    They added 50% more cooling surface to the new radios.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the clarification Bill.

BTW, one nice feature of the M models is the HDMI video out.  You get the advantages of a big screen without a PC and those pesky MS updates.  And even if you mostly use SSDR, having a built-in client in the radio can be handy at times.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    good point
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    In addition,  Being able to monitor up to 8 repeaters at the same time during an event has great valve.  You can graphically see which ones are active and un-mute faded left,right or centered.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Personally owning a Flex-6600M and several Flex-6700s (and a Flex-6300 as a backup) you have some really good choices with the 6600 and 6700 series.  

I think the posts above all explain the differences pretty well.  

If I was told I could only keep one, I think I'd keep a 6700.  I like the build quality feel of the low profile unit and while perhaps a party-piece the eight slice capability is without peer.  

But I wouldn't be truly unhappy with either one, especially if my option was a non-FRS radio!

Steve  
    K9ZW
    Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Being a owner of both a 6700 and 6600M and if I was forced to sell one of my radios I would definitely rather sell the 6600M.
    I have had the 6700 for several years and is one of the special addition Signature radio's and Yes I got the jacket. 
    The extra filtering on the 6600 is nice if you have a close by station transmitting or maybe a multi user field day  BUT with the "RX loop" through on the 6700 which unfortunately the 6600 doesn't have the 6600 has missed the bus for me.
    Here is why
    With the RX loop through on the 6700 you can easily add a inexpensive band pass filter,  RX overload device, Broadcast band filter or other inexpensive filtering device that can be easily home brewed or cheep to buy because they are really low power and just plug in to the BNC jacks on the back of the 6700 I find this FAR superior then what the 6600 has. 
     I used to have a next door neighbor that even shared one of my Towers that would run full legal power and I have found that I had no problems with RX overload having  a overload device in the RX loop I never had a alarm or other issues, I built a Broadcast band filter and had the overload device and the BCB filter in series, I had no problems other then having to run a step up in the Pre-Amp to bring the RX up to where it was supposed to be. 

This is my OWN opinion and not trying to sway anyone one way or the other. 

Bret
    WX7Y

• Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited August 2019
    Bill this is not true. Latest firmware allows the IC-9700 to be GPSDO locked: freq stability is now excellent on all bands. I have an IC-9700 and would highly recommend it to VHF and UHF enthusiasts. Paul M0CVX
  • Douglas Maxwell
    Douglas Maxwell Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    In the UK there are no trade up deals. I’m just off the Phone with Martin Lynch who wants $6110 for a new 6600m against $1120 for my limited edition 6500 on version 2 software. Just ridiculous, looks like that’s the last Flexradio I’ll be buying. There really is no traction for Flex in the UK due to dealer greed.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Your other UK dealer (Nevada Radio) has a display 6600M on offer at UKP 3700 (roughly $4600), so work your options.  (Not certain if your 20% Tax is included or excluded, but does sound better than the $6100 price either way).

The trade-up deals from FRS itself are its domestic market offering, with few overseas distributors able to match that program with one of their own.  It is market sensitive for allowances offered.  Some people have found it a good deal while other have complained.  

The low allowance your one dealer offered appears below market, which is their signalling that they really don't want to handle your radio as a trade-in.  Predictably you will find your direct resale price achieved should be more.

For those in the USA domestic market we tend to get riled up seeing the add-on costs in other markets.  What we tend to not include is that these dealer/distributors are not part of the factory, they have all sorts of additional costs ranging from import costs, local support arrangements (including training), to various sorts of regulatory costs - all unique to their market.  In the UK a 20% VAT (effectively ends up like our sales tax in terms of costs) gets applied as well in most cases.  

This is nothing new, unique or special to this radio - one of my vendors did a one-off sale to a mutual client for one of that end client's UK sites and the add-on costs easily exceeded the cost of the actual product.  This vendor did it as they have a corporate level program and the costs will be diluted across the overall sales to the end client, but the numbers were stunning.   

Sometimes an individual can make a small scale personal import to avoid much of the extra costs, but at the expense of uncertain support, unenforceable warranty, and having to scramble for spares.  Here we call this sort of product either personal imports or "grey market" product.  

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com 
  • Douglas Maxwell
    Douglas Maxwell Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Steve, the model from Nevada Radio is the 6600 not the 6600m, you can add another $1200 for an m model believe it or not. That particular radio has been on sale for months without interest and Nevada have no new stock. This leaves Martin Lynch in the UK to rule Flex prices if you want one today.
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I also went from a 6300 to a 6500 -- a VERY good move IMHO.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Sorry I missed that one wasn't a M-model. 

How much of the pricing issue might be from the low UKP value in USD?  

The spread between this 6600 and a 6600M if it includes the 20% VAT it is the spread to be expected.

The $6110 you were quoted for a new 6600M if VAT inclusive is also really right on the mark.  

Thinking the wrangle is that they made you an offer for your trade-in allowance that you feel is too low you might see what you could get for the old radio open market selling it yourself?

Not telling you what to do in turbulent times, but you may want to check UKP futures to see what your potential transaction might look like if Oct 31st brings the promised change.  As I type nearly 2/3rd of FX analysts are saying to buy UKP as they expect the value of the UKP pound to rise, but the studies do note high volatility.  That does mean that more than a 1/3 say it ain't so, and sell your pounds.  

GL and 73

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com 
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I can bet you that the 9700 can't do this. And I still have a spare slice.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.