Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Global Profile Confusion

Lionel
Lionel Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
There are 1930 posts for Global Profiles so I'll just post a new one.  Not possible to search all of these.

It appears to me that a Global Profile is linked to a specific band(s).  Here is what I am trying to do.

Slice A 40m CW
Slice B 20m SSB

Saved as CW/SSB and when loaded brings up 40cw and 20 SSB. 

Now, I want a Global Profile for

Slice A 40m CW
Slice B 15m SSB

It appears that I need to save a new profile 40-CW/15-SSB

In other words, for each combination of band/mode using two slices I need a separate Global Profile.   Then I need to make certain that both slices are exactly what I want else, for example, loading a 40-CW/15-SSB GP when I have previously loaded 40-CW/20SSB GP might mess up my settings for slice A.

Is this correct?

OR I load the CW/SSB GP which brings up 40cw and 20ssb and then select the 15m band for slice B.  But when I do that slice B seems to come up with 15m SSB sometimes or 15m CW which seems to make the GP usefulness limited.  Then I need to change slice settings anyway. 

There seems to be no way to do this that isn't error prone or time intensive.

This is from the How-To:

Global profiles save the state of all open slices and panadapters as well as the current Mic profile and the TX ANT to TX Profile linking. Changes to the current settings do not get automatically saved to Global profiles. Global profiles must be manually and explicitly saved or deleted.

This "seems" to imply a separate GP for each combination of band and mode. The H-T example for GP are all one slice - as an example not very helpful if typically using two slices.  So, I need:

80CW/75SSB
80CW/40SSB
80CW/20SSB  and on and on... 

TX and Mic Profiles are linked okay and seem reliable.  Only one antenna. ANT1 always. 

This is version 2 SSDR.  A Flex Elmer or staff posted to me the other day that I could make for example a CW/CW GP and then just change the bands.  If so then I should be able to make a CW/SSB and just change the band for either slice A or slice B without losing the previously loaded GP settings; been trying to do that - not much joy here. This just does not seem to work.

I've read the docs, over and over and over ......I know, somewhere in the 1930 profile related posts is probably the answer, but, ....

How can I make this work? Or, do I bite the bullet and create a large number of GP's? Or, forget about using profiles? 

I have a 6400

sorry for the bandwidth.

Answers

• Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    This is why I do not use Profiles.Way to confusing.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Lionel. You will need to create and save a global profile for each band mode and slice combo that want. I do this all the time. Once I get everything set the way I want I simply open profile manager and save as a global profile. I have a dozen or more global profiles saved. Most of them are for two slices on different bands. When I want to change bands I load the appropriate profile. I don’t manually change bands. I find it easier this way.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    They are really not that difficult to use. Just takes some practice. With profiles you can quickly change bands modes and slices with a touch of a button. They are a very powerful tool !
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Using Global Profiles in this way can become cumbersome unless you don’t change bands very often in the course of an operating session....I.e. if you want to set up a slice/pan for 40 SSB and another one for FT8 on 20 and stay in that mode for a long afternoon.

But using Global Profiles for simple band changes is overkill in my book.

But they are handy, for such things as remembering a setup with 4 bands of FT8 on 4 pans..... or setting up for SO2R on the next contest, ... or setting up 2 slices in Full Duplex on the XVTR port for audio adjustments....etc.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    But operating styles very. The beauty of the Flex 6000 Series is that users can adapt whatever methods they want to, once they fully understand the way the various Profiles work....
  • W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited August 2019
    Does any one use "Memories"?

I have been using profiles instead. Even have SO2R profiles set up for each combination - ie 
    SO2R 80 40 or SO2R 40 20 or SO2R 20 40 (for different antenna combinations) and so on.
    And I find that using FRStacks running in the background makes managing profiles or selecting the many profiles (I have several dozen) easier. 

So back to the original question - how do you use memories instead of profiles?   I have yet to set up or use memories.

• W4TMW
    W4TMW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    W5AP....

I use 'Memories' all the time. I've got maybe 75 or 80 of them set up. Mostly for nets and calling freq. for various bands and modes. Usually the 1st thing I do after powering up the hardware is to open Memories and click the item I want and, bingo, the radio moves to that freq. all set for me to make any final tweaks.

73, Tom W4TMW
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Tom, what a great idea. I forgot about memories until you brought the subject up. I went to my SSDR manual which I printed and put into a 3 ring binder and looked at the memory page. Truly is the KISS method.
    Tnx, Andy... W3LI 
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Exactly Joe..  and the best method to date to set up all parameters with a single click.
    "OVERKILL" is way underrated!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.