Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PG XL and implementation of adaptive predistortion

Tom
Tom Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
PG XL's manual does not provide much information about use  of adaptive predistortion .
Has some of PG users experimented with experimented with it? Do we need to wait for a subsequent version of SSDR to implement adaptive predistortion? Perhaps  someone from Flex  can comment about this matter?

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    From what I've heard AP will be a future feature. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There are and have been people using it with PG XL and an Anan.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    That's interesting Bill.  Do you happen to know where the -60dbm AP connector(s) on the back of the PG-XL connect to?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I can't say, I beleive Dave, W2OX was testing the PGXL with the Anan AP.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019

I believe Flex has stated that when Flex implements APD in the 6000 series, the feedback output from the PGXL will be connected to a 6000 Rx port. 

Howard

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited July 2019
    There are two -60 dBm connectors on back of amp. One to sample each amp output. My Anan 7000dle ANT1 connects to PGXL input B. Sample port B on PGXL connects to the RX Bypass port on 7000dle. In the software menu for Anan you need to check RX on bypass to use the external sample in. Dave wo2x
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Does this defeat the ability to use bandpass filters or preamps in the loop circuit?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2019
    Flex has not stated exactly how APD would be connected and they have not stated if it will actually be implemented. Your guess is as good as mine but they did say the hardware is capable.
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Is there some update about the use of adaptive predistortion when a series 6000 radio is used with PG XL.
    Nothing is mentioned in PG XL manual about interfacing both radio and the amplifier. Is a new version of SSDR required in order to make some use of predistortion?

Tom
  • DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Not implenented yet but it is on the list for future features. Volker, DL4RCE
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It's great to know the hardware is capable adaptive predistortion, and yes, I know it's FRS policy not to discuss future enhancements.  That being said, what many users would probably really want to know is, is anyone presently working on the implementation of this feature?  And if so, how is the testing going?  
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2020
    The PG XL works with Anan radios for APD. No attenuator needed.

No word if/when the Flex 6000 series will support APD. I find the 6700/PG XL combo to be more than acceptable on TX IMD.

A LOT cleaner than a Yaesu FTdx-3000 and SPE 1.3 or 1.5k amp.

I personally would rather see engineering resources directed towards other features.

Dave wo2x
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I personally would rather see engineering resources directed towards other features.

I agree.  Come to think of it, I'd like to see the implementation of any new features or fixes.  Not much has been happening lately.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Me too, I would have thought something would have come out before now, and I don't know how much this pandemic has effected this. But I suspect they are working on something that is needing a lot of testing, or it is taking a lot of work and time. but hey, we have a really nice radio to use till then!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.