Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Dax Delay & Voice Keyer - Flex 6600M

Mitch
Mitch Member ✭✭
Has anyone experienced a delay while using DAX in VOX mode and/or while using a voice keyer? Using N1MM+, the delay between playing a .WAV file after pushing F1 is sometimes too long for fast paced contesting. The same delay sometimes occurs while using VOX, manifesting as extra long hang time before unkeying at the end of a transmission. Any VOX delay disappears when I quit DAX. I know my network is causing this problem, but I'm not sure how to solve it.

Is there any way to resolve this issue?

73, Mitch, K7RL

Answers

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    You dont need to use VOX.  Just pipe in your computer audio via the DAX input to the radio.  Make sure the VOX is turned off.   Use a foot switch for controlling PTT and MIC.  If you need to use VOX make sure the VOX delay is set to zero delay.    
  • Mitch
    Mitch Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for your reply Joe. My biggest problem is the unpredictable delay when pressing F1 to play a .WAV file. I know it has to do with my network traffic, speeding up and slowing down, impacting DAX performance. 

I suppose what I'm really asking is if there is another way to play .WAV files that doesn't involve DAX? 

Mitch
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I suppose you could use a mixer and mix your Mic with sound card audio from your computer, but that would lead to a hot mic during voice Keyer audio. You mentioned your network... how are you connected? Are you running remotely? Are you using serial port PTT or just VOX? How do you have audio set up in N1MM+?
  • Mitch
    Mitch Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Ken. Not running remotely and using just VOX. N1MM+ audio uses DAX Audio TX under Playback. That part works fine.

Mixing the mic with sound card audio is a good idea. That said, I made some changes to my network that have increased its speed. That should solve the delay issue.

I originally posed the question to see if anyone else was dealing with DAX delay issues, and possible workarounds. 

Thanks again for your help! 

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Ok. I have used N1MM+ with my 6500 via DAX and had no problems. PTT was via CAT control Is your rig connected to your computer via direct connection, through a router via Ethernet, or via WiFi? I am curious about your network, and what changes you have made to it.
  • Mitch
    Mitch Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Rig is connected through a router via Ethernet. I ditched the cable company supplied router and upgraded to a professional router. Big difference in speed.

Is there a way to make a direct connection from the rig to the computer without using Ethernet?

• Grant Kesselring
    Grant Kesselring Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have been experience exactly the same problem in Sweepstakes contest that Mitch brings up.  I have a 6600M running with N1MM+.  The mic is plugged directly into the radio.  I am trying to play voice recordings stored in the function keys in N1MM+.  The TX Stream in DAX appears to be affecting VOX operation.  After playing a few voice recordings, the VOX delay begins to get too long and doesn't go back into receive quickly enough after a transmission ends.  If I disable the TX Stream in DAX and then re-enable, the VOX problems go away. This is very frustrating.

Grant K1KD
  • Richard Zalewski
    Richard Zalewski Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Amen....same problem exactly as Grant.  The only resolution is to turn radio off and then back on.
  • Richard Zalewski
    edited November 2019
    Foot switch solved some of the problems but not 100% with N1MM at this time.  VOX appears to be the culprit.

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I reported this issue to Flex support.  This is a software bug that will be addressed in the future. This issue has been logged as defect number: G7691
  • Grant Kesselring
    edited November 2019
    Richard, for me the VOX would perform flawlessly when the MIC was connected directly into the Flex radio.  However, as soon as DAX would stream audio to the radio from N1MM+ playing a voice recording .WAV file, the hang time for VOX would get corrupted.  The result would be up to ~1sec additional hang time on the VOX when coming out of transmit.  It was repeatable.  The easiest way I found to clear it up was to toggle the little TX Stream button in the DAX window.  That would correct the problem again until the next time a message was played using DAX.

BTW, my rig is connected to the PC through a router via Ethernet.  I was not operating remote.  The router is less than a month old. 

Joe, is this more or less the issue you raised in the defect you opened? 

Grant K1KD

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The issue I reported was that I could not hear anything in the monitor when DAX and VOX were both engaged regardless of N1MM running. Flex knew about this issue.

I used N1MM to send wav files via DAX this weekend in ARRL SS SSB without any issues.  However, I did not use VOX as the Monitor was dead.  So I used footswitch for PTT instead.  My MIC is connected to the radio.  I did not have any delay in audio or function keys in N1MM.

Flex claims this defect was introduced after 2.4.9 ?
  • Richard Zalewski
    edited November 2019
    Thanks for lots of feedback on this issue.  If this is a bug I just wonder why I never saw it before when running in an SSB contest.  I saw one suggestion about using {OTRSPOTHER RX} in N1MM.  Don't understand where in the .mc I would use this.  Hoping this will be corrected soon.
  • Grant Kesselring
    edited November 2019
    Joe,

Very interesting.  It sounds like there are actually two issues at play:
    1) When DAX and VOX are both engaged, the Monitor doesn't work.  This is observed in 2.4.9.  However, I was running 3.1.8 all weekend and did not have an issue with the monitor, so maybe this has been fixed?
    2) Using DAX and VOX can cause extra long hang times before unkeying at the end of a transmission.

It sounds like you have logged a defect for the first item.  I will open one for the second.

Grant, K1KD
  • LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

I had similar problems in LZDX contest last weekend. Sometimes after switching from CW to SSB it was not possible to play wav files from N1MM logger, while Microphone was working OK.

I found DAX TX status button was yellow "busy". Switching Off/On cured the problem until next time.
    I was using foot switch for Microphone and Radio command in N1MM for *wav files.

73 Boyan, LZ2BE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.