Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smartlink: iOS Works, One Win 10 laptop Works, 3 Other Win PCs Dont Work

Lee, N2LC
Lee, N2LC Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
The 6500 is at a buddy's shack.  v2.4.9.

A few weeks ago I lost sight of the radio through Smartlink on all PCs here - 2 Win 10 laptops, a Win 10 desktop, and a Win 7 machine.  All had been working.  iOS continued to work.

Looked all around here, etc, got frustrated, let it go for a week or two, then on a whim during a local 2M net, tried it on one of the laptops, and, voila!  It worked!    But only on that machine. 

Don't know why nor what I would have done.   Spent several quality hours with the xyl trying to compare various firewall, anti-virus, and other settings, no joy.

What would be a good methodical troubleshooting strategy here, rather than stumbling around in various machines in un-coordinated fashion with just enough expertise to be almost dangerous? 

If there's a good write-up on it somewhere that I've missed, point me to it!

Thanks,
Lee

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2019
    Lee

More information would be helpful.  

What doesn't work?

Do the other computers see the radio in the radio chooser?  Are they on LAN or WiFi?  These all have a bearing.

If on LAN, is the firewall on?  It seems you checked those.  Makes sure your network cards and not set to 'Public'.    Microsoft has a habit of automatically turning on firewalls that were off.  

If on WiFi, do you have range extenders?  Does your WiFi access point have Client Blocking turned on?  This is a default fore some WiFi access points?

For the ones that work, are they LAN or WiFi connected (well, I guess the IOS one is).

Please describe your network topology.

Mike va3mw
  • Lee, N2LC
    Lee, N2LC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Good morning, sir.

Sorry if this comes out disjointed, that's the story of my brain.  I'll try to untangle it for both our sakes.

The network where the 6500 is has a DSL router feeding a wired AP which feeds the 6500. 

My network is an AT&T Homebase hotspot that feeds a switch which feeds two wired APs on opposite ends of the mansion.  Also wired to the switch is a printer and the desktop. 

The iPad works anywhere on my LAN (sees and connects.)

The working Win 10 laptop works wirelessly (sees and connects) off of the main hotspot and both APs (anywhere on my LAN).   Firewall is On, with Flex allowed through, although it says my settings might allow some sort of vulnerability, but won't tell me what that is, and since it's working, I haven't reset it to default.

The non-working Win 10 laptop doesn't work anywhere - no radio available, with the chooser showing my name and call.  Firewall is On, with Flex allowed through,

The Win 10 desktop is wired to the switch, and doesn't work - no radio available, with the chooser showing my name and call.  Firewall is On, with Flex allowed through. 

The Win 7 machine is an embedded thin client, also wired.  This is a secondary experimental platform, really only bringing it up here for troubleshooting clues.  No radio available, with the chooser showing my name and call.  Have to dig this device out of the Field Day pile to check out current settings, but as with the others, I tried turning things off and on to see if something would change.

All of these devices were working (Radio visible, connected, SSDR up and running) until one day roughly 4 weeks ago.

A couple of weeks ago, the working laptop began seeing the radio and connecting.   I didn't do anything that I know of, other than to check it again. 

I can't say absolutely if the iPad ever lost functionality. 

Numerous re-boots of all devices (local and remote), but not in any particular order.  Updates are all on auto, and all devices report that they're up to date.

Haven't checked on the APs yet, but they both work fine with the one laptop....

Thanks Mike!

• Bob  N0IS
    Bob N0IS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Lee,

If you are using DSL, you might as well have a DIAL UP system.  It is so very slow I would not expect anything to work.

Bob, N0IS

• Lee, N2LC
    Lee, N2LC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, I know - it doesn't work well, but it does connect and is marginally usable - on one Win device and the iPad!  And if one works, they all ought to, so that's what I'm trying to sort out.

I have it where it is because we weren't able to get it working from here with the AT&T Homebase. 

One step at a time is how it has to be out here, unfortunately.  

I'm told if I go up 80 or 100' I can see the tower with actual broadband on it.  Wow!  Broadband!

But for now, since the heat index is going up to 90 or 100 today, I get to help put up hay.

Thanks Bob.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    sounds like it could be a firewall (Windows or other 3rd party firewall) issue on the Machines that aren't working, try turning OFF the Software firewalls on the computers and see if that helps. 

I have had issues especially after a update with Windows, and AVAST firewall's blocking SmartLink and SmartSDR.

Bret
  • Lee, N2LC
    Lee, N2LC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    We need to go through it again and look some more.  It has to be something we missed, some little setting somewhere. 
  • Steve Sterling
    Steve Sterling Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Lee-- all I can do is commiserate. Key is they are all Microsoft operating systems, and most likely an update about the time they all started failing. My main shack computer (Win7) used for SSDR all of a sudden will not talk to a remote power switch. Both the computer and remote power switch plugged into the same network switch. Two other MS computers talk to the power switch just fine, using the same ethernet cable plugged into the same switch, as well as coming through wi-fi AP or even remotely through a VPN connection. Even a Raspberry Pi can talk to it but not this one computer. Completely disabling the built-in MS firewall, anti-virus (AVG), Microsoft Essentials, etc makes no difference-- will not connect.  The errant computer can ping the power switch, but nothing else.  It makes no sense, but I can't figure my problem out either.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.