Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

problems with dax followin g update to 2.5.1 and windows 1903

Roger G3LDI
Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Flex 6600  I5 quad core new PC     N1MM+
Upgarded to 2.5.1 and Windows 1903. Messed up the DAX drivers. I have followed Tim Ellisons instructions, several times, including  uninstalling the DAX drivers in the 64kbit directory running as administrator. I have managed to get receive RTTY and PSK to work, but for some reason when looking at soundcard settings in N1MM, there is NO DAX TX showing, just lots of RX. TX seems to have disappeared.  Help greatly appreciated. Streaming is on in the DAX window, but no red bar showing.I have checked all the DAX channels on slice A, but only channel 1 will work on receive anyway.   I have done all the above lots of times, rebooting each time. I do have Teamviewer if that helps.           73 de Roger, G3LDI   

Comments

• John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I had the DAX problem a couple of months back and Tim gave a great response from a Help Ticket

Good luck

73 John
  • Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi Ray.   I have been trying all the afternoon to get my DAX sounds in Device Manager to look like this. I cannot seem to be able to achieve it. I am not sure dfhow you"map" them to the correct places either. And I can not see the DAX files as you do. I will keep on trying though!!  Many thanks for your help. I am not as computer trained as you or Tim I guess ( I am 81!! ) but I won't fgive up.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Roger

Sorry I missed you last night in the IRC channel, give it another try. I can work with you and get you fixed up.

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Roger 

Our timezone differences are going to make this a challenge, but I have no plans currently, so I will go sleep, and try to be back at the keyboard, in the IRC channel starting from around the time you joined the channel last night.

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Craig Willison
    Craig Willison Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hey Ray - The Microsoft cumulative update 1903 caused the naming irregularities as you so well described.  Great find!  After changing the "Audio" references to "IQ" everything started to fall back in place however I did notice that a number of my CAT assignments (as noted in the CAT Control Panel) disappeared and had to be re-established.  A few hours of time to get everything back in order...  Thanks Microsoft!
  • Ray - K6LJ
    Ray - K6LJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi Roger - its sll pretty confusing for sure. The very first pic i showed was the way previous updates **** with the names. The current one renamed several the ssme therefor hid and disabled them
    But just start by looking at the right side. The order and names are correct in in the proper sequence.
    Now look at the left side and see how they looked when i first opened them to look. If you go to the first one listed i drew a red line to the correct name. To give you a hint as to how they should be named you can look at the name in the parathesis and the first name is relatedto that.
    If you go down the list i think you will start to see what i mean.
    Rensming things worked well until this last update when windows renamed several drivers wirh the same name. This caused windows to disable and hide the driver. So just do a search for manage sound devices. Look for the disabled drivers. You must rename before enabling them. If you look at the name in the () and the correct name list i showed then i think you can see what they should be named. The name needs to be corrected first.
    Of course you can always open a ticket Tim does a great job but does not slways have time to explain. I have tried to learn cuz it always happens on the weekend. Reach out to Jay as he can also help. Hope this helps
    Ray I also looked on line to see how to prevent windows from automatically updating. At least then i can pick the time and place.
  • Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi Ray.

Again, many thanks for a very comprehensive explanation. It really all comes down to a lack of knowledge on my part. Trying to learn as you go is not always a sensible option. It would be good if there was access to some detailed instructions/education as far as DAX is concerned.A couple of other locals are also keeping an eye on my proceedings! In fact, Malcolm G3PDH now has his working with the DAX names in the correct order.
      Jay has offered to come in on Teamviewer to fix mine so I think I will wait for him to do that via Teamviewer and watch what he does. I just hope he is not like a local computer engineer here in Norwich. When he does things it is so fast it is impossible to follow him!
      You should put out a series of help files I think because you obviously took a lot of time to explain together with the diagrams. I am trying to save that....

73 de Roger, G3LDI 
  • Rick- K2RB
    Rick- K2RB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks Ray for your helped.  It works   Had Tim do first computer and followed your guidance on two other devices.  Rick, K2RB
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hmm I have the same problem after the windows 1903 update, even though I had completely uninstalled smartSDR and dax drivers before the update, but can'rt figure out the proper renaming, I do see that my Rx2 IQ is named wrong
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Well after some more messing around I think I got it renamed properly now, at least my second DAX channel is working again ....

• John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Well done, Wim. I'm dependent upon Tim and others at FRS. I'm still unsure about Tim's recommended pre-upgrade process - see my earlier post in this thread
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019

Everyone talks of renaming a driver but never explains how one renames them.
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    and Ray K6LJ mentions how to do it above as well just read his detailed steps
  • WB8YKH
    WB8YKH Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Ray - New 6700 owner here and one week later Win 10 auto update broke things.  Glad to Google and find your well illustrated help.  Your screen shot listing the correct name / labels was a really nice check list that got me back working!   73'  Lloyd
  • Ray - K6LJ
    Ray - K6LJ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Your welcome. It is regular every time I do an update. I looked on líne and disabled the auto update so at least i update with a time of my choosing. Makes a big difference. I just update when i know i have time. I backup my profiles then uninstall SDR and then the update. After reinstalling SDR i dont even start the program until i check the DAX names there is always 3 or 4 needing to be renamed.
  • WB8YKH
    WB8YKH Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Very helpful... will do... thanks!
  • stevenab
    stevenab Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Roger,

Thank you for the detailed explanation!  It saved me many hours!

All the best!

K2SAB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.