Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Web Switch suggestions

W5AP
W5AP Member
edited January 2020 in Third-Party Software
Please post suggestions for a web switch I may purchase to turn on/off various shack components over the internet for remote operation. Looking for a device with a GUI that can be used to internet control power to radios/antenna controllers/computers/etc either directly or through 12V relays that I can build in a box.    Thanks, Jim

Answers

• W3EX -- Tom
    W3EX -- Tom Member
    edited June 2019
    I recommend this one from Digital Loggers. https://dlidirect.com/ They have gotten very pricey but are a great piece of equipment.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited January 2020
    Jim

If you search in the community, there is a lengthy discussion on this.  I think this is it:  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/a-cost-effective-web-relay-control

I have found that the Wemo and iHome ones fail when you need them most.  They just disappear offline and you have to manually unplug them to reboot them.

I have no focused on these ones since they just work and I don't have depend someone else to broker the connection.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/KMTronic-LAN-Ethernet-IP-8-channels-Relay-board-WEB-BOX/281238587151?hash=item417b20470f:g:LlYAAOxyrUVRnG9W.  The KMTronic support is really great too and then you can expand it into more if you need to.

I have focusing on making the complete 1 GUI interface using a an PI and NodeRed which IBM developed and is module based.  

I hope that gives you some ideas.

Mike

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2019
    I use the "SONOFF" simple WiFi devices

Cheap and they work - I am sure there are other similar makes - I know you can get a "Multi Device" with 4 switches in one.

For me I have PSU and remote "On/OFF" for the 6400

https://sonoff.itead.cc/en/products/sonoff/sonoff-basic

A more advanced system would be needed for a complex station control

As I advance my remote requirements, my setup will evolve.

Phil G4UDU

• W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited June 2019
    Thanks to everyone for great suggestions and links
    73, Jim
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2019
    Hi Phil

I tested the Sonoff wifi devices and there was no way I could get it to connect to my Eeros Mesh.  I even tried their manual method.

I'm glad you've gotten it to work and it is stable for you.

73, Mike

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I also use Sonoff devices flashed with Tasmota firmware. Once flashed with Tasmota firmware the devices are able to be integrated into home automation software and have many more features and functionality than stock firmware.
  • Dave, KY0L
    Dave, KY0L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I use remote power switches from Amazon and the 5G Store. The remote power switches from Amazon are about $20 for two switches. The load capacity is 16 amps on each switch, which is more current than most switches can handle. You could increase the current capacity with a relay device. The switches can be controlled by my iPhone. They probably also have an Android app. There is a built in scheduler in the app for probably as many on / off events as you want to create. 

I use two remote switches for two gutter heating cables to melt ice in the gutters in the winter. The heating cables draw a far amount of power, but less than 16 amps each. I use another remote power switch to turn on and off my fountains in the summer. I use another remote power cycle my HDHomeRun Prime cable card box for my SageTV computer based DVR system.

These remote power switches are rated highly in the product reviews. I plan to buy more remote power switches because they come in very handy to remotely switch and schedule electrical devices. They would also be very useful to remotely control devices for a remotely controlled HF station.

Another very useful remote power switch to consider is a an Internet sensing remote power switch. These remote switches are more expensive. This type of switch is available from the "5G Store". It senses when you lose Internet connectivity. The remote power switch then can automatically power cycle your cable modem, router, and Internet switch. This type of power switch are rated highly by snowbirds who periodically had to call someone to drive to this home and manually reset the power on the cable modem, router, and Internet switch. I've looked in the log, and did see several times where the Internet sensing remote power switch power cycled to restore my Internet connectivity. After I installed the Internet sensing power switch, I never notice Internet outages anymore, that require manual power cycling of those devices. It's well worth it to eliminate that annoyance from your life, and very useful to have if you're a snowbird, and don't have to bother someone to physically drive to your remote home to cycle the power on those devices.

Remote power switches on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Gosund-Compatible-Control-Required-Anywhere/dp/B07NSXFWK6/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=Smart+Plug%2C+WiFi+Remote+Control+Outlet&qid=1560347540&s=hi&sr=1-10

Remote power switch from 5G Store:
    https://5gstore.com/product/6081_2_outlet_ip_switch.html
  • K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Mike, Love your NR interface.  I am also using an RPi and NR to control my station including a 4 port antenna switch.  I use an Amazon Echo to actually talk to NR if I don't want to use a Dashboard.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited June 2019
    Ken

I would love to share some Flows and really get more Hams working with NodeRed .  I will share my KMTronic Flow and the KPA500 flow (it isn't down yet).  

I have a thread on NodeRed running in the SmartLink area.  Feel free to share if you wish.

I would like to integrate SIRI or Google, but I have yet to get that far.

Mike

• Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Have two and they are great not one issue and gives me 18 switchable ports, 8 on UPS power items and 8 on a standard power source.
    Full remote control; site.  Have one port for PTT as well for upgrades etc.

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hey Mike.  Good idea.  I'll check out your thread.  If you are interested in using voice commands with NR I highly recommend getting an Amazon Echo Dot ($35).  There are several NR contributed nodes available including 1 that requires no skills development.  It just works and is extremely easy.  I can help if you need more info and we shouldn't hijack this thread. Hi hi.
    Ken

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.