Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

3D FFT Display

Larry - WA7LZO
Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Does anyone know if Flex has any plans to develop a 3D display akin to the new Yaesu FTdx-101d 3D display? It is mind blowing awesome how great their 3D display is for finding signals! 

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Each to their own I suppose but the 3D display looks like a novelty to me.  I prefer band scope and waterfall.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I like having the choice/option of choosing any of the 3 views. Not at all clear you’d have to eliminate the waterfall, just because you have 3D on the main FFT display. I assume the waterfall would also go 3D. Once you’ve actually used 3D , though, I seriously doubt anyone would ever want to go back to plain old 2D. I remember this same phenomenon when color TV first came out. B&W diehards said, Who needs it? Just a novelty! But, as mentioned, it’s a personal choice, and to each his own.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Here's a short YouTube video demo'ing the FTdx-101d 3D display:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI9uch7AWNA

If you are pressed for time, he shows the 3D phenomenon at about 2 minutes into the 3 minute video. It looks like the waterfall is almost superfluous, given the 3D capabilities. But, I don't see any particular reason why a 3D waterfall could not also be developed. Maybe as an ultimate high end, 6700 only feature?

I know thus far, all features show up on all Flex software, but maybe this would be something to distinguish their highest end (Mercedes) 6700 product, giving a sort of extra oomph incentive to the high end boys? I know it's sheer heresy to suggest differentiated software capabilites, but just some food for thought...
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Mark Looks neat What Radio were you using Like to know more about it Mike WB6DJI Please Send info to my QRZ e-mail
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    There are enough differences between the current Flex Signature series radios that an interesting display option isn't needed to differentiate the models further. The purpose of a differentiator is to compel/encourage someone contemplating, say, a Flex 6600 to upgrade to a Flex 6700 - do you really think a 3D panadapter would do that?
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I can't see how a three-d waterfall adds meaningful functionality to the radio operator above/beyond what current waterfall displays do. For my money, the current waterfall is easier to interpret quickly, looking over a 3D drawing of the last 30 seconds of transmissions, set off on a 45 degree angle behind the panadapter , but maybe that's just me That said, I suspect now that Yaesu has put it out on the market Flex will likely add some element of that type of display to SSDR.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Yes, I believe a 3D panadapter will do it. I love the free hand of competition. I just hope we see Flex 3D display capabilities soon. Hopefully, all of this CW stuff will finally take a back seat to implementing new functions and features that will keep everything leading edge. Although, in this case, we’ll be chasing Yaesu, not unlike how Ham gear has been chasing commercial Part 90 radios for years now. Check out the new Codan 1kW LIQUID COOLED true 100% continuous duty amp, in all modes, mind you, including digital!
  • James Whiteway
    edited April 2019
    Mark, I really do like the way your version looks. Plus, it seems to provide more info since you include the waterfall as well. James WD5GWY
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    What is it showing front to back? It is waving, what does that show?
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    That was a 6500.   The code is C++ using Qt framework.  The project kind of stalled due to time.

Bill:  Front is your current reading from the radio.  As it moves back and right it is each prior radio trace. So they march back and to the right in time.

I don't remember the size or time of the display but I think it was like 5 seconds worth of data.  So you saw 5 seconds of history on a signal.

The waving is me dragging the pan back/forth.  The old data lags behind.

There is one signal that looked like a couple of competeing CW signals that kind of wavered.
  • Bvarcd
    Bvarcd Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Is  a 3D  panadapter anything other than just different?  I remember at a HALPC meeting years ago a Microsoft rep was telling us we would soon have talking gas gauges on cars.....   Sometimes analog is as far as you need to go.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Yes, it’s just oh, so much better than plain ol’ 2D!
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    It's actually 4D … don't accept anything else!

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The 3D panadapter shows innovation and provides another look at the RF spectrum that may prove to be useful. Time will tell how well it is received by users. Either way, it sets Yaesu apart from the competition. The many different display options on the new FTdx101D are also quite nice. Don’t underestimate this radio!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It will be all the rave for a while I'm sure. It is interesting but usefull? I'm not sure. I am not sure how seeing the few seconds history is a good tool.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Seeing signals in Yaesu’s newly released, all new FTdx-101d clever 3D display, plus their display’s historical view, greatly helps the operator to very easily and quickly find and locate signals. That’s the entire point of Yaesu’s ground breaking SDR FFT 3D display, juxtaposed to traditional and older 2D display limitations. Yes, their 3D display is nothing short of sheer beauty, as everyone is agreeing with, but the real enduring value of this new 3D display is how it immensely helps the OP to instantly snag and pounce on signals. Thus, this new 3D technology gives the OP using this 3D display in tough and highly competitive contests oh, so much of an advantage over the typical 2D constrained conventional operator. This is what is called taking full advantage of new technology! I sure hope Flex will answer the competition bell that has just rung, and embark on some R&D efforts to develop their own answer to a 3D based display.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So if I get this new radio with 3D display, where do I pliug in the HDMI cable to display this breathtaking display on a 4K monitor,, but dont use it on digital modes since the 10 MHz external lock feature is not yet working,, the connector is missing...  :-)

Robert
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I really want to know how he hooks up via USB to any monitor?  Now that is something I would buy.

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Maybe a good point but first we need to see it under crowded band contest conditions as it could just as easily be sensory overload.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    USB to VGA adapter: Premium USB 3.0 to VGA Adapter Converter, Jackiey Mini Full HD External Video Card Multi Monitor Adapter USB to VGA Adapter Converter Support Max Resolution 1080p for Win 7 8 10 (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P99F59Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Gt7WCbKMPWM93 USB to DVI adapter: Display to DVI Adapter Converter, FEMORO DisplayPort DP to DVI-I Adapter Male to Female 1080P (Male to Female) Compatible with Computer, Desktop, Laptop, PC, Monitor, Projector, HDTV - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GORJY4U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Hu7WCbBF7V1MN USB to HDMI adapter: USB to HDMI Display Adapter JUA195 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HIV2XR6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Gv7WCbR9K1C8K
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I still don't see any advantage finding signals, does this mean you can find signals you can't find on a Flex?
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

'
    Not necessarily, but 3D is just so much faster and simpler/easier to find signals. Much more intuitive to use, too.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Faster and simpler?..I quess i'm missing something,, I mean it looks cool, but other than that?
    Anyways it's intersting...
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'm sorry, but I just do not see any advantage to seeing in the past on the pan adapter.  You already get this on the waterfall. and on a crowded contest band this history would be mush and undecypherable.

Gene, K1GD
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    This time-persistence “3D” display is neat. Time on air with it would be interesting. Undecided if utility is gained? If several signal sources could be merged into a time-persistence display the “3D” effect could be a better way to represent the merged data. Regardless it is neat to see the innovative approaches in the current new offerings. It certainly will all work to better the state of the art. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Mark, this is nice display!  I can see it would be quite useful for weak signals, but would get very cluttered during say a contest. Would love to have this option to display, may I suggest rekindling it as an FRlogger addon. Wow.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    According to the manual, the external display connector supports 800 x 600
    or 800 x 450 resolution. Not cutting edge to me.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The only real portion of the band scope display that matters is the front (most forward real time pip), the rest just indicates the same as waterfall history.  If suspect if someone can't find a signal between a standard band scope and the waterfall displays, perhaps it's time to give up.  If Flex does decide to add this display novelty, I would prefer they go with Mark's display.  It's much cleaner than Yaesu's 3D display.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Eye candy for sure, but Mark's method would be a welcome change for eye fatigue. Not necessarily on all the time but for a change. Like binaural audio, sometimes I put it on, my ears like the change and forget it's on, and then I turn it off and forget I turn it off. The brain, or should I say, my brain works funny.

Sure the panadapter is not needed to work DX, neither is the waterfall. In a DXpedition situation when they are working split 15 or 20 wide, I bet most Flexers who know how to use these amazing tools can beat anyone with a legacy radio. I've done it many, many times.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.