Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No Sidetone with Winkeyer

Steven WA8Y
Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in Maestro
Is there a way to get a sidetone out of my Maestro (remote) from a Winkeyer port?

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi Steven

No, and I think the reason is that it has to do with remote and latency.  There has been a lot of discussion on this internally.

Right now CW sidetone is generated on the hardware that does the keying.  And, if I remember correctly, the Winkeyer is part of the actual radio, so the CW sidetone is generated on the actually speaker on the actual radio.

There are some work arounds discussed elsewhere in the community that might work for you.

Mike 
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    As someone who uses the Flex virtual Winkeyer extensively, it would be extremely useful to have a sidetone option generated by the FlexRadio virtual WinKeyer.

When operating remote it would be "local" sidetone, much like what is generated by CWX.  Still far more useful than silence when trying to be sure that one's transmitted CW macros are correct of that the chosen speed feels correct.

Latency is not an issue for this use case because the side tone can be generated locally where the operator is sitting, and does not have to suffer latency due to the network.  There may be a small amount of sound card or Windows audio latency, but I would personally much prefer to be able to hear sidetone in my headphones from the Flex Winkeyer when operating remote. 
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks
  • Nian WU6P
    Nian WU6P Member
    edited June 2021
    Does anyone has an update on the Matt NQ6N's request (tracking #3993)? Is it on roadmap? I would really like to hear the "local" sidetone from the included virtual winkeyer, similar like what the CWX did.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Nian WU6P

Eric's comments from Feb 2020 is still the current message. It is his team that makes those decisions.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.