Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SteppIR SDA2000 to Flex-6400 USB issue

N8FNR
N8FNR Member ✭✭
I have two different brand FTDI cables and a the SteppIR S12 cable. For some reason I cannot get the either FTDI cables to communicate between the SteppIR and the 6400. The USB log does show activity though. I am using a SteppIR S12 cable too.

The USB cables are shown in the photo. The SDA2000 is set to data in/out 9600 Kenwood. Autotrak is turned on on the Steppir. The S12 is plugged into the data in (top port) on the 2000.

BTW the S12 cable worked with my desktop hooked into a serial port.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? It seems to be set up correctly per the Flex USB Cables Interface for the FLEX-6000 PDF document.

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Zack,

I am running two SteppIR antennas here from the back of the radio. One controller is a SDA 100 and the other is a SDA 2000. Using a FTDI cable I wire it myself like the attached diagram. Note: you must jumper pins 7 and 9. 

Controllers are set up for Kenwood 19.2 kbs though the baud rate doesn't matter.

Make sure you are using the Data OUT  RS232 connector on the back of the controller. 

Your USB settings look OK. I use TX ANT 1 and ANT 2 for tracking the antennas. 

Let me know if you need more help.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    You also need a null modem adapter on the KPA-500.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    I can see that on your KPA500, the radio is sending commends to the KPA500, but the KPA500 is not responding.  

This is why you need a null modem cable on the KPA500.

Mike

• N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I took the DB9 covers off and found which one had the jumper on 7 & 9. Then I put that side in the data in on the 2000 and it talks now. Thanks! Oh and I labeled both ends of the S12 cable so that I can tell where to plug it the next time I rewire my setup.
    This is going to be sweet as I can now sit in my living room and use a laptop and have the 2000 track the rig. 
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I do have a null modem adapter on the FTDI cable to the KPA500. The 500 is set to radio-serial, serial pol-on and RS232 x 9600. Still not talking.
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Oh the frustration. The 2000 is tracking but the SWR is skyhigh at 5.91. All bands are high.  Did a calibration on the 2000 but it made no difference.  This is just great
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Retract your elements then do a calibration twice. That should fix it. Any arrows stored on the controller?
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The calibration worked but the antenna no longer tracks. AutoTrk is on BTW. This is so frustrating.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    We will get it working. Screen shot the USB logs and settings
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    After I reset the radio i found that the baud on the rig USB was set to 38400. Once I found that I put it back to 9600 and all is good. 

This is so nice being out of the ham shack dungeon and in the living room with the wife. Now she is less of a radio widow. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.