Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL March '2019 Updates

Richard
Richard Member ✭✭
Thread is to ask those that have ordered the PGXL and have Received the Amplifier a few questions.  All hoping that those that have received the Amp can give others some answers to many asked questions.

Upon your receipt of the "Greatest Amp In Ham Radio History".....
-  When did you order it?
-  What was your PO Number
-  When did you get it?
-  How was the Setting Up?
-  First Impressions?

Will stop asking these questions when the units start to ship on a regular bases...

Thanks

Answers

• DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I ordered my Genius amplifier along with the special “tuner package“ in early December 2017, putting down the $1000. Now at 15 months and waiting. I have compiled all of the “update Wout and there are more than just a few of “ready to ship“ updates over the past 15 months. I totally understand the good reasons for the delays, I’m just happy that I didn’t pay heed to the “getting ready to ship“ and sell my one remaining HF amplifier after selling my two other Alpha amplifiers. I’m a huge fan of Flex radio and have been an early adopter all of their high-end products including owning the limited 6700 transceiver. I’ve elaccepted that it may not arrive until 2020. That doesnt make it acceptable since I’ve had my down payment since late 2017, but “it is what it is“ and there are people that have a few to several months jump on me! I just think it’s a mistake by flex radio from a sheer marketing perspective. I’ll go on waiting because it’s going to be (hopefully) a great amplifier and great tuner. However the toner probably won’t arrive until 2021 or 2022! LOL! KJ
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    You folks have the patience of a Saint! I admire that. No way would I put a deposit on anything in 2017 and still be waiting for it in 2019. I hope you get it in time for cycle 25 (or 26)
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My order was also submitted in December 2017, under the Tuner Package deal.  Unfortunately I did buy into the "ready to ship" updates, I sold my HF amplifier.  I received estimated ship dates of late-2018, then March 2019 (no, nothing so far).  I got tired of being without an Amplifier so I purchased a used Alpha. 

While I am also a big Flex fan I am concerned about this particular product for a number of reasons;

* it being a dual company effort
    * after nearly 2 years only a few dozen PG-XL's have trickled out of 4o3A (excluding Alpha units)
    * the lack of customer feed back from those who have received their PG-XL
    * and after all this time Flex still can not provide a date when back-orders will be filled. 

Obviously something is amiss.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I also ordered mine under the Tuner Package deal.  I ordered in May 2017 so it's been almost 2 years.  If I had known it would be this long I would have gone another direction.  The only reason I don't cancel my order is because of the tuner.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    All the reasons for shipping delays have been well layed out and explained.

Over the last month Flex has received a few palets of amps that were stopped at the boarder due to the Gov shutdown. 
    The last info from Gerald is that some of the amps being tested at Flex are not meeting specs. They are and have made changes to the assembly line to fix this. Until they are satisfied that the production meets the very close specs that Flex demands,  production has been slowed.

Over the next month they expect three dozen amps to be delivered to Flex.

It is not unusual for businesses to have a product built by a 3rd party.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Two years back, I was thinking Amp thoughts. Culturally (as a Flex user) and technically I liked the pgxl story. But I couldn't justify the price premium. So I was all ready to buy the E*craft 1500 W unit, which is shipping(!) and which would be a better match for my op. style and budget. Then I realized my long-paid-for SB 220 fills much of my need. (Listened to the XYL.) I hope Flex has a winner eventually! 73 Martin AA6E
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    QRO Anyone ???? 6.5Kw out 73 Mike https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_cont...
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I'm still using my L-4B. It doesn't have 160 meters but I'm still working on putting up antenna for 160 so for now all is good.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I would imagine there must be several extra challenges involved when dealing with an overseas contractor.  And understand about the 35 day gov't shutdown.

The periodic updates are certainly appreciated but PG-XL customers have been bouncing back and forth between the "ready to ship" news and the delay news, for quite some time now.  While I'm happy to hear a few dozen units are expected in,  from a customer point of view, given that we have no idea what the back log is, or what the factory output is (or will be), a few dozen units does not provide a clue as to when we can expect delivery.   

What I (and I'm sure most of us) would really like to know is, how long will it be before the pre-orders are filled?  It seems like the 3rd party should be able to at least provide that estimate by now.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Richard, I have used and tested the amp since it was one of two pre-production units. I have been using the production unit for some time. I can assure you it is ROCK SOLID in my station in daily operation. Solid legal limit at key down RTTY or FT-8. As Flex has stated the amps are almost ready to be shipped after one more round of software testing. Believe me, Flex WANTS them shipped but as they always do they will not ship a product until they know it is ready for market. It will have been worth the wait when you receive it. I follow my friends with other competitive solid state amps and many are suffering major problems. 73, Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Mack... 

I am sure that the amp will be of the top quality units that we have become used to from FRS.  The point of the Thread is to let those of us that have waiting, some over 2 (two +) years, that the units are Shipping.  Where ones Shipment was in reference to when it was ordered and what the persons initial thoughts are of the amplifier.  

We really want to experience what people like yourself and others have been experiencing over the last year or so.  Can't wait to do see and operate that amp for myself.

Richard - N4RWG
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Were was the Flex?
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I agree with you. With the 6400M I waited until they were available for immediate shipment. At this point the right thing to would to refund at least $800 of everyone's deposit. Good faith is a two way street.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    When do you think you will get the tuner?
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Fan noise?
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Order number: AB-11643
    Order Date: 2/8/2017

Received first week of January 2019, just lucky I guess. 

Unfortunately, I can't give it a thorough review for noise, etc. as I never operate it when it's in front of me. I will say this: you do have to hold it back to stay legal. Judging from the heat sink temperatures, it wants to run. FT-8 runs fine and I've really never seen the HS temp rise above 50C. This is a very compact, complex, and very powerful amplifier. I jump into DX pileups and get a "WOW! Nice signal" more often than ever before. 

My initial review was posted on this forum shortly after I received it and my opinion hasn't changed. It's a next generation RF amplifier and it's a work of art. It won't disappoint you but you'll have to make up your own minds if it's worth such a long wait. 

Fred
    K9SO
  • Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

Order number: AB-11713
    Order Date: 2/13/2017

Actually placed the order Friday 2/10/17 at Hamcation, did not pay until they called Monday 2/13, the credit card machine was not working Friday.  Guess that put me further down the list as I can see from Fred's order number I have 70 between us.  Still waiting for the call.

Jeff

• SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited March 2019

Heh! Burt, I'm sure that money was put into a special bank account and is just sitting there waiting until each customer gets their respective merchandise.
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Fred...  That is what we are looking for... My order was at the '17 Orlando show on Saturday.  My order Number was 11703.  So I suspect that means I am close.  That is what we or others are looking for.  Thanks for you comments and have fun!

Richard - N4RWG
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Jeff.... I would suspect that FRS's Order Numbers cover the whole of their orders and not unique to PGXL.  You could be closer than you think....

Richard - N4RWG
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    One thing I'll add under the "review" topic ... this amp is part of the FlexRadio system and comparing it to another brand doesn't tell the full story. I've operated high power amps remotely since 1990. To monitor, I've used cameras, remote meters, RS-232 links and all kinds of things even XYLs and offspring. 

With the PG-XL, everything you need to know is right on your SmartSDR screen (or Maestro screen): output power, input power, input VSWR, antenna VSWR, drain current, heat sink temperature and more. No need to bring up some third party software or to try and read a fuzzy image of a meter through a cheapie IP camera. 

It truly turns your Flex into a full legal limit transceiver. 
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I'm not sure saying how wonderful the amp is will make the long waiting any easier. If anything I would think it would ramp up the frustration of waiting
  • DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    When Hades orders its first snow removal truck !
  • DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Agreed, the wait is unreasonable if one considers the context to which the amplifier (and tuner) was sold(offered). Repeatedly it was “ready to ship“! If Flexradio would have stated “pending“ “awesome amp in preproduction“, “order yours now to be the first to get one“ or something demonstrating the proper context of the situation, that this amplifier is not “Ready to ship“but for those willing to wait we promise an unbeatable amp , even counting the time it has taken, and I would think other companies advancing their technology and market share of the SDR world. I am a tremendous Flexradio fan! I am sure once I do get it (if I’m still on this planet), it will be “worth the wait“, provided another company doesn’t come along with something as good or better? (Unlikely, but possible). But being in a business, related directly to customer outcomes and customer satisfaction, I stand by my often repeated and cliché tagline, “ you’re only as good as your last success“. While Flexradio continues to deliver quality products, there is a palpable slowing down of this company in terms of cutting edge TO MARKET products, and even as an amateur who is certainly no expert on global business markets, it appears to me that this extended time they’ve seemingly MAY have unintentiaonallt squandered due to issues seemingly beyond their control. Although these repeated “stop shipments and ‘recalls’ are mildly valid and understandable from an engineering standpoint, is horrific from the market share standpoint!
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I sent mine back because it made too much fan noise for me.  Flex said to just put it in another room.  My SPE 2K sits right in front of me and is not bothersome.  I don't need 1.5 out on FT8 so therefore don't need the extra noise.
  • W9TVX
    W9TVX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Would be awesome if Flex did the same thing that Telepost did with the LP500/700. They provided a pdf of preorders with position listed and email addresses hidden. Flex could do the same but use order numbers for even more privacy http://www.telepostinc.com/Files/LP-500_wait_list_hidden.pdf
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I would guess the tuner is at least 2 years away. 
  • Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    edited March 2019

Richard, that makes a lot of sense.

Jeff
  • Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    edited March 2019

Richard, please post when you hear from Flex.
    Thanks, Jeff
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Great idea except many Order Numbers have been already posted on this Forum so not sure about the privacy issue.  Also I'm guessing FRS would probably be reluctant to release the number of PG-XL's that have been ordered. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.