Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Update FLEX-6700

Geert PA3CPS
Geert PA3CPS Member ✭✭
Are there plans to update the FLEX-6700?

'73
Geert
PA3CPS

Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Why ?
  • Geert PA3CPS
    Geert PA3CPS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    2m & 70cm & 23cm with more power. Then i don't have to buy a IC9700.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    That's not a update for F6700 - that's a complete new TRX
  • Geert PA3CPS
    Geert PA3CPS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Maybe 2m & 70cm with 100W output is enough 
    I hope the add this options :-)
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I plant to sell my IC-9700 when I can get a "Flex 6900".
  • Geert PA3CPS
    Geert PA3CPS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    compare all models the 6700 looks like old fashion :-)

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The 6700 box has a "classic" look. Personally, I like the 6500/6700 packaging better than the new all-in-one models. Better use of space - separate Maestro is more flexible, etc. But I agree that full support of bands up to 13 cm (say) would be a plus, probably with ext. Xvtrs. Unfortunately, somebody has to pay the bills, and the 6700 is already beyond the "affordable" category for many.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

6700 Update? The 6700 is already an awesome radio but I will speculate a bit and say, I would not be surprised if the 6700 is discontinued in the very near future.

I’ll bet they are already working on the replacement for the 6700 and it will most likely be 200W or more output and have more band coverage.

Just a guess but I think they will round out the new radio lineup with a new Ultra Hi end transceiver to replace the 6700. Maybe a 6800/M ;)

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi Martin,
    I also like the shorter 6500/6700 form factor.   Plus the front display is a nice feature for displaying error messages that you don't get otherwise.   Actually it might be nice to include the front display on the new models and even extend the messaging capability to display voltage, and a number of other things that have been suggested. 

Also the M model type packaging would have to be much taller / bigger to show all 4 of the panadapters and 8 slices for a 6700.  

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I think it's a safe bet that the main reason the 6400 and 6600 sized rigs exist today is because FRS decided to cater to the knob and button crowd.  Personally I much prefer the 6300, 6500, and 6700 sized transceivers.  If FRS ever does decide to add hardware options to the 6700, I hope it remains the same size. 

Knob and button rigs look "old fashion" to me. :)
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Alas, the new models are sized to handle the Maestro-like front panel, and there's a lot of empty space inside.  On the other hand, there might be room for XVTRs or such.

We can only assume Flex is working with a long list of "nice to haves", most of which will end up in the circular file.

73 Martin AA6E
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Best upgrade to a 6700 is to buy a second one!

Perhaps someday software may roll the 6700 (or more) 6700's into a monster radio!

Steve
    K9ZW
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I two like the 6300-6700 size much better.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Having 6700's, 6600M and a 6300, I admire the compactness and sturdiness of the 6700 size.

I'm all-in on the newer size for my M-model, though kind of wonder is it just just lost space for a non-M 6400/6600.

As for actual capabilities the 6700 still is the high performer for my use in my shacks.  

BTW the 6300 is a combined digital-use and backup spare for my stations, as it can physically fit in the rack space if I wanted to send in a 6700 for a tune-up or service.

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes my 6400 is pretty big but it's a network server and sits under my desk out of the way. I even turn it on and off remotely. I like that there is room inside for a big fan and lots of room for air to move around. Maybe they will add a plug in board later that gives you all mode from DC to daylight?
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    that sounds like a great idea!, i need to read up on how to do remote on and off, havent got that far yet, i do love my 6400, 
    Richard
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The 6700, of which I own one of the first, is limited on price not on capabilities.  200W is not an option as most owners will add on an amplifier for power; see the market for the PGXL, 
    The FCC amplifier gain limitation is the main reason for current final stages at all, as the 2M XVTR to 75W is very effective.
    Much earlier questions about field replacement of the FGPA with a more powerful device were answered by "its hardwired". 
    IMHO, array processing power is the future limiting factor on the 6700 (and all current models)
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Catering to the knob and button crowd, and perhaps trying to dissociate with the unreliable OS SSDR operates on. That's my idea behind the 6XXXM series. When an update hoses Windows ten install of SSDR - the radio will still work. When Windows update hoses the present radio  - it is a brick until W10 is repaired.

Full disclaimer: I also have Windows 7 and MacOS - so I know the radio will work if I switch machines. Not everyone can or wants to do that.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The form factor must be based on the screen, because yes, it does make the 6400 and 6600 M models a bit too tall. Its an aesthetic thing actually. So I don't want to complain too much.
  • Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited April 2020
    I too used to like the 6300-6500-6700 look better. Still like it, but the 6400/6600's are getting prettier all the time. After owning the 6600M I have changed my preferences quite a bit. I thought the M models were a waste. I was a Smart SDR PC and iPad guy and the knobs were useless. Then one of those deals you can't say "no" to comes along and I suddenly have an M model Flex in my shack. After a few months with this 6600M, I was very wrong about the control panel. I have had a couple of instances where I needed the PC and a bunch of her resources for something else. It was very nice to just switch to the Control Panel and continue to listen for DX on 2 meter weak signal. In a power outage on a generator with limited resources, what would be better? To have to run the radio and the PC, or just the radio? I was pleasantly surprised with the operation of the control panel. Very smooth controls, well laid out. It does not take long to have the control panel doing all sorts of tricks.

Also as another poster mentioned, it runs a lot cooler in the larger case. With heavy operation is does not get warm like my 6300 did.

Never say never,. 

Bill K4FX
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Another great thing about the 6400M/6600M is the ability to just walk out the door with it, to use it out of the shack. For phone, that’s all you need, no PC. And if you want to do digital (like I do with a Windows laptop, or a MacBook Air), you run only the digital app and DAX/CAT on the computer - the “M” front panel runs the GUI. The PC can be right next to the 6600M or any distance away. AND you can run multiple PCs, one for each slice if you like, as long as you’re willing to share one transmitter :-) Works for me!
  • Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited March 2019
    Very true Ted. Imagine the difference in setting up for field day with a M vs. a non-M model. ;-) 
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    What do you use to turn on and off remotely
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2019
    You can also take a 6400 and a Maestro and a 4' LAN cable to Field day.  No network required.  Just plug the cable from the Maestro to the Radio.  Yes, this might require 1 1/2 trips to the car.  :)
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1JVZOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017743I7S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the relay NC contacts to the Flex remote on RCA connector. In the Apple app on is off and off is on. Thus, on is no AC to the setup so default for a power failure is Flex is on.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ted, i have a F6700 and have 8 slices = i can use different 8 PC's at same time?
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I don’t know about 8, Chris, but I can certainly use up to 4 on the 6600. And each PC can run DAX / xDAX and CAT / xCAT. In fact, I can see all configured slices on each PC (I’ve used up to 3). Each PC can run a different app, both logging and digital. The only restriction is GUI on one device, whether “M:, Maestro, or SSDR / iOS SSDR.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ted, all 4 PC's have at same time access to your F6600?
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have only tried a combination of three of a Windows laptop, a MacBook Air, an iMac, and an iPad. I have no idea if the network and processor in a 6700 can handle 8 streams, but presumably if it can handle 8 to one PC, it should be able to handle one each to 8 PCs :-) I have not tried it, but I suppose you could decode the DAX stream from one channel on multiple PCs, since multiple PCs can see the same DAX stream (my iMac and Windows laptop see all the streams each sees when both running xDax / DAX to the same radio).
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2019
    The process in the 6700 will not have an issue handling 8 full streams.  That is what it was designed to do and the US Government seems to like it as well.  :)  

The FPGA cpu processing is about equivalent to over 400 RPI 3's running in Parallel. 

Yes, you can send the DAX streams to multiple computers.   

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.