Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 Fan Replace

WP3C
WP3C Member ✭✭
Hi

I want to replace the fan of the FPGA and the CPU. I see that the ones that have my 6300 are from the brand ADDA and model ap0512hx-j96. I look for them but can’t find them, says out of stock. Did someone knows where can I find them? Or know about some others that can be used? Thanks

Alfredo WP3C

Answers

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    A large order of the 6300/6500 fans was placed here by one of the contributors here on the reflector.  I am not what he ordered and sent to all of us with the 6300/6500 but check the archives or someone will answer you as to the part number, etc.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I would create a helpdesk ticket and talk with Flex before buying anything, there aer some real gotcha's in doing this the wrong way.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    WP3C,  this has been a long topic here, please research the community before going too far. If you do find some replacement fans you need to determine if replacing them yourself is an option. Read about it..

Flex does have replacement heat sink and fan units that you would need to have them do it for you because the old heat sinks have to be removed and the new ones installed. If you do any of this yourself,,it is at your own risk.
  • WP3C
    WP3C Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks!
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I may be wrong but from what my feeble mind remembers, you can replace the fan without removing the heat sink, which of course makes it much, much easier..  
  • WP3C
    WP3C Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks a lot! I hope not to have that much trouble. :)
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Notes on the fans on my web page: http://nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#FANs_ Regarsa, Al / NN4ZZ
  • WP3C
    WP3C Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I wrote to K2CB but it does not have available. He told me by the end of March but I need them now. Thank you
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jim I said, that if he can not find just the replacement fans then the heat sink will need to be removed and changed. Not something a person should attempt on their own.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Alfred, what you may want to try is servicing your fans now by putting a drop of 3&1 oil on the bearings. Peel off the sticker to expose the bearings or use a needle and pump the oil through the sticker. This will usually work on most CPU type fans.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I am on my 3rd fan replacement in my 6700. Have pealed back the label but there is no hole to oil. Have found these fans seem to run fine on the bench [after removal] for a few hours but then start to vibrate and slow down. That's when the error displays on the front panel. You can remove the fan by taking out the four screws that hold it to the heat sink and vacuum it out. Try to pull the fan blades away from the base and either use compressed air or a vacuum to clear any dust inside that fan. Then run it on a 12V supply for a while to see if it holds up.   
    Does anyone know how to get the blades off the fan base to expose the bearings?
    Hope this helps;
    Bill W2PKY
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Your 100 percent correct Bill.  AL's post below this one pretty well covers the fan info.  
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I sold this 6300 to Alfredo and I never experienced the fan failure prior to selling it to him. I would never sell anything that was known to be defective. Very unfortunately for him, this problem occurred less than a month after the transaction.

But in hindsight, he was going to ship it to a remote location and it is better that it failed now than after it is installed at the remote site.

I've offered to buy the original fan and replace it for/with him, or buy the radio back so he can find another, at his option.

If he chooses to return it I will deal with the upgraded FGPA fan when it becomes available. He may not have the luxury of time to wait for the upgraded kit. He'll have to find another radio for his mission.

Danny
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    You may need to take the fan apart to oil it. All of these fans can be serviced. There will be a cap over one side to open. I have done a few computer fans and they go back to running just fine.

I have a filter inside my radio in between the the walls in the case, the filter stops any dust from entering the radio. Over 5 years now and all the fans do not even have a spec on them and running very well.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I've submitted a Support ticket to see what the factory fix is, what it will cost and the time it will take.
  • WP3C
    WP3C Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I will try the 3 in 1. Thanks Bill
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    On the bottom side of the fan is a black sticker that can be peeled off with your finger nail or Xacto knife. The fan shaft is exposed and can be lubricated with a small drop of light oil. Not sure if this will bring the fan back to life but worth a try.
    Hope this helps.image
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I would talk with Flex first. I was on the phone with them about my 6400 last week and the subject of the 6300 fan problems (I have 2 of them) and if I remember correctly he said they had a upgraded fan. If I was going to replace the fan with the same one I would do it myself now (already sent one in to have it done). If I was going to put in the upgraded one I would have flex do it. The fans I have (purchased with the big buy one of the members set up for everyone about a year ago). Those are just remove the screws from the fan and the heat sink and then re **** new on back on. If I was going to get the newer fan I would send in to Flex. 
    I am going to keep my 6300 here at home as a backup rig and just have the other 6300 at my cabin, it does not get much use anymore. Good luck!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Bill, that shows well, most of the time a little oil will free the bearings up and run well.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I had text/email communication with Alfredo yesterday and he successfully serviced the fan(s). The radio is running and he's going to leave it powered on as long as he can as a burn-in test period before he has to ship it off.

Thanks for all the assistance folks. The Flex community rocks. I hope to own another someday.

Danny
  • sm2oan
    sm2oan Member
    The two fans in my 6300 started to create a lot of noise and and finally the radio stopped working. I found a distributor of the orginal fan/heatsink in the US , Jameco Electronics. The price was about $12 each and for $30 they shipped them with DHL express so I had them in Sweden after a few days. The replace took less than 30minutes as you only have to replace the fan it self not the heatsinks

73 de mike
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭

I certainly understand your desire to fix this problem without sending it to FRS Service, but I just want to remind people, especially owners of the 6700 (which I am familiar) to possibly think twice about DIY. I am not sure that Flex recommends a part-replacement with the original fan, it might want something newer. Also, How the fan is positioned can make a difference. Finally, FRS offers a warranty on their work (which I do not offer myself when I **** up my equipment!).

Just wanted to remind people of the other side of DIY!

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

As an FYI, there are a few fan concerns. If you are ok with working on this sort of thing as it is your job, it is pretty straight forward and you know the risks.

• The fan is glued to the FPGA - if you make a mistake and rip the FPGA off the motherboard, it is virtually non-repairable.
    • The fan cooling is actually calibrated based on FAN RPM and cooling. If you get it wrong, you can get a FAN error and the radio won't boot.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.