Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Heil 781 wiring diagram XLR to 1/4" plug on the 6600M

John Kauker
John Kauker Member
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

I ordered a XLR to 1/4" stereo plug cable to connect a Heil 781 to the rear 1/4" jack on the 6600M. No audio. Should this be a 1/4" mono plug? Does anyone have the wiring / pin out for the XLR connector to 1/4" plug? This was so easy on my 6500, just connect the XLR cable to the XLR rear jack and it worked perfect. But like an apple product , no compatibility when you upgrade. It has become a project to adapt to the 6600.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Did you order the acc-stx-310f cable?

If so, that is the 3 pin XLR that goes to the Rig from a Mic for the 6600, 6700 and 5000.  http://cart.flexradio.com/3-Pin-XLR-Balanced-Line-in-Audio-cable-for-FLEX-5000-Flex-6600_p_20.html

Does your Mic need Bias?  Do you have the right Mic input selected?

Mike
  • Paul Hutchins WQ4A
    Paul Hutchins WQ4A Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    For the 6400M the mic connector is for a 1/8" plug on the back of the rig. I believe it is the same on the 6600M. 
    I ordered the 3 pin XLR cable with 1/8" plug for my Heil PR-781 and it works flawlessly on my 6400M.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    From the hardware manual:

• John Kauker
    John Kauker Member
    edited January 2019
    Tnks Geoff, ref to sections 15.4 don't match current manuals (there is no section 15.4), but I was able to find it in the current manual. Descriptor in the current manual ends with the "... TRS Phone Plug." No reference to any other sections. For anyone else struggling with this, a TRS 1/4" plug is the same as a 1/4" stereo plug. And the TX menu photo shown in the current software manual Ver 2.4.9  is NOT what it looks like in 2.4.9 on the front screen of the 6600M.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    John

The mic connection for the 6600 and the 6600M series is outlined in several manuals and the 1/4" Stereo connections are the same on all 6600's, both the M and non-M.

This is from the 6600M user guide.

At this point, we know this wiring works.   

As the radio can handle many types of Mics, you didn't answer my questions.   

First,  please make sure you select the correct Mic input using the TX MENU button on the front panel.  Push the button in to activate.

Then, select R-BAL for the balanced input.  

If you Mic requires Mic BIAS, you can turn that on via the Menu on the main panel, then Phone/CW and look for the Radio: BIAS button.  This is described in section 31.8 of the 6400M/6600M user guide.

I'm not sure where you got the cable, but assuming it is wired correctly, this should get you on the air.

Mike

• Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited January 2020
    John did you ever have any luck? I ordered the same cable from Flex and I didn't have audio either. I was just playing around and I noticed the cable on the mic side was not "clicked" in, I found that you have to push extremely hard to get the connector to fully seat. Once I did that, it started working.

Bill K4FX
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited April 2019
    All.... this is critical and I it would help if the both of you with issues answered some of the basic questions.

If you bought a cable from us and it doesn't work, and you have 100% confirmed if you are on the right Mic input, I need to know that we have a problem with the cable.  Without further confirmation, I am going to have to confirm that the radio is not set up to the right Mic input of R-BAL.  Please see above.

Mike 
  • John Kauker
    John Kauker Member
    edited February 2019
    OK done. First as stated earlier for those who don't know a TRS 1/4" plug is the same as a 1/4" stereo plug. so I purchased a TRS 1/4" plug and wired it as follows: XLR connector(the 781 mic connection) pin #1 goes to ground (body) of TRS plug, XLR #2 goes to the tip of TRS, and #3 of the XLR goes to the "ring" or middle connection of the TRS plug. I Selected "BAL" input  and for Mic selection I started with the "*Default PR781" under the TX menu and all works as it should now. I couldn't see just wasting that nice cable and connector I was using with the 6500, so although it took a bit to get the wiring correct, it was far cheaper putting a TRS plug on one end rather than buying a new cable. Thanks to all who offered suggestions. Jack K3CX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.