Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SDR Ver 3

13»

Answers

• KC8P
    KC8P Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I'm aware of that....but to hire and keep decent software engineer cost them more than $100k per year and I'm quite confident they have more than one...now, think how many units do they have to sale to cover single employee salary....
  • KC8P
    KC8P Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    ...and according to this https://www.owler.com/company/flexradio they have 45 employees and $3M annual revenue.

• David - KO1C
    David - KO1C Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Be patient.

If V3 does not have any features you want/need, then don't upgrade.

If V3 at some time in the future has new features you DO want, then if it's worth it to you, then upgrade.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I think multiflex will make a lot of people happy, there are a lot that will make good use of this v3 as it is so far. I for one have little use for it,,but I know how it has also put Flex Radio at the top in this kind of connectivity.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    No one matches their customer service and that maybe I am forgetting?
  • Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    How about someone at FRS Tech Support publishing a YouTube on V3 and show us what it will do and all the good things about the upgrade (no marketing hype please). If you like it, buy it. If not, stay on your current version until V4 comes along. Then, if you are really impressed with the new features in V4, buy it and you get V1, V2, bug fixes plus V3. 

On the annual subscription thing, that is a good thing too.  Look at the Microsoft Office 365 model.  For an annual fee which I think is around $125 you get the entire Office Suite for 5 PC's for one year with all the feature and bug updates to boot.  If FRS would do something like this for something under $100 it would be a winner and this diatribe would not exist.

IMHO
  • KC8P
    KC8P Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I would also agree with the subscription model aka software-as-a-service (SaaS) as long as is reasonable priced. All the major software players are going this route...Adobe, Microsoft, Google etc.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Flex is working on a video as we speak
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited January 2019
    If another station is operating via my 6700 remotely, will they also need to buy V3???
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    The license is associated with the radio, not the user / pc.
  • James Whiteway
    edited January 2019
    " On the annual subscription thing, that is a good thing too.  Look at the Microsoft Office 365 model.  For an annual fee which I think is around $125 you get the entire Office Suite for 5 PC's for one year with all the feature and bug updates to boot.  If FRS would do something like this for something under $100 it would be a winner and this diatribe would not exist." Even if FRS did offer an annual subscription there would be complaints. Don't pay the subscription fee in time and you radio stops working, would create a lot of havoc. Plus, being a tiny company compared to Microsoft, the support costs alone would **** FRS. It's not having to pay for FEATURE upgrades, ( new ones, not partially working existing ones) that some people have issues with. It's having to purchase a full upgrade in hopes that at some point, EXISTING bugs and partially working features finally are fixed. None of the reasons given by myself and others, for questioning the fact that, bugs and partially working, existing features should have been addressed before requiring a paid upgrade is unreasonable or wrong in some way. If you or others here don't understand that, I don't know what to tell you. Too many people are happy with the status quo. And let things slide as long.as what they want works or they are blinded by brand loyalty to the point they cannot, or will not, accept that not all people have the same feelings towards the company and product, they admire so much. James WD5GWY
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Most of us who is blinded by brand loyalty as you say see it this way, or at least I do. I know some of the DSP filters are not working as well as they should. I know the record playback on air is being fixed in this 2.5 up date. There are many things that could be better,,,yes...

But, I still do not see another radio I would prefer over my radio. I think SSDR is amazing and Flex has been doing a great job with it.

It surprises me Flex has said months ago multi client is coming, and now it is very close it has already opened the door for the same people complaining, thinking that they make a difference,,that they are helping, they don't. WE are all aware of the things that need work, nothing new here.

The same ones who never ever say anything positive about Flex, and call people names or think those who are happy with Flex are nuts, drink cool aid or what ever, or blinded.

I know I could just walk away and not read these silly never ending critical comments. Being hidden as helpful comments.
    The same way people can can move on to something they feel would be better. But they don't. Why? Because these same complainers also know Flex offers to much to let go. They too have no interest in anything else, because their still here.

I think it is great when someone mentions something that needs attention or fixing, keep it coming, but every few weeks? the same things? the people doing that are intent of stirring up the community, that is what they are about, and we know who they are,,just read their comments.

I really hope those of you doing this can make a change and make comments that lift the community up.

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Just for the record, I'm very much against it! I like to own what I have and I really dislikes the SaaS model.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    In reference to Steve Jobs, some products only fill a gap once you have tried the product. Remote operations was very much like that for me, since I was comfortable with using Teamviewer already. I didn't know I needed a maestro until I owned one.

Sometimes pleasing the 'majority' of your customers doesn't grow your customer base.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

At one point in Ancient History, Flex toyed with the idea of an annual subscription fee.. But hams being CHEAP caused such a huge negative outcry against an annual fee, that the idea was quickly killed.   Flex then came up with a fee for a MAJOR Version Upgrade. which, of course, since Hams are Cheap also resulted in an outcry albeit not as loudly negative as the annual fee idea.

The issue is this..

It costs a LOT OF MONEY to make, fix and support software.. Features are never EXACLY what the customers want or EXPECTED them to be or THOUGHT they heard the salesman promise when they ordered them. 

For Example. I rarely use ANF because the TNF feature is so superior to any notching.  ANF does work but clearly does not meet the expectations of a few users.  Same with NB.. I find its more than adequate but WNB is far superior to anything by Elecraft or Icom for my ultra noisy location.  Again, NB does work but clearly does not meet the expectations of a few users.   

if you are running a business, you need revenue to make payroll.  Do you commit resources to meeting adequate but unsatisfied expectations of a few existing NON PAYING customer by giving away upgrades to old features or do you work on features that will drive in new revenue to pay the bills.   BTW..IMNSHO Changing the ANF or NB or adding Squelch features would be feature upgrades

Over the years I owned a few companies in Software/hardware businesses and the ongoing development, support and maintenance costs using the version upgrade pricing model almost killed them..

We ultimately fell by accident into the annual subscription model. lost a few customers but in the long run, the companies became quite financially healthy before I sold them.    But my customers were well heeled Corporations and Governments who were willing to pay the costs... because it wasn't a hobby and they needed the software to work.

Flex, OTOH, has CHEAP HAMS for customers (Not an Insult but a fact of life - I could say financially challenged but many hams are wealthy so that wont work)  No matter if Flex maintains the Version Upgrade Model or the Annual Subscription Model, someone will complain about the price and value of the product.  Flex can't win no matter which pricing model they use.

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    As stated in the release notes of upcoming Version 3 the simple answer is NO you can skip. In the  Version 3 FAQ sheet there is an example  :if I'm currently on version 1.X do i need to purchase ver 2 before i can purchase and use version 3. answer : This is not necessary, you may purchase and install SmartSDR v3 as a direct upgrade from version 1, and you will also automatically get all of the additional features release in v2 over the last 18 months with no additional charge.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Since, in yearly terms, a new release comes every 2 years (yes I know this one is a bit ahead of schedule), if you buy every one you are paying 100 bucks a year for maintenance. This would likely cause more revenue but also **** off customers who have to buy it. As Howard said, this is a kinder way to do this since its not mandatory but delivers the same effect
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Lots of people think that Gerald has no idea how to run a company, I have read comments to that effect in the last few years. Most those whom are full of them selves and have no skin in the game at all. some things just never change...too funny.

I read such a post yesterday when someone thinks SSDR should never exist and Flex should have stayed with open source the way it began. And that Flex should just get out of software all together. I hope that never happens.

I have watched Anan take better then a year trying to get V3 working properly and it is so slow in progress. No thanks....they have done some great work and should be held high yes,,,but I think I will just stay put here with something that I at least understand what I'm dealing with.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I certainly dont mind paying $199 every year or so to continue the software development.  However, I do wish that many of the basic upgrades and bugs were accomplished occasionally. It seems flex only caters to the contest group as far as new software development.  Bug correction and basic radio functions (programmable filters, useful NB, etc) have much less priority.  
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    Absolutely ..... I agree 1000 percent... the same is true with 4o3a so the chances of getting basic operation working is slim as all efforts seem to be focused on contesting features
  • Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I totally agree flex is catering to the SmartSDR users. I do not use my 6400M with SmartSDR tied to a WIndows PC, I use it stand-alone, and want Flex to fix the basic bugs and not all the whistle and bell features. I have now sent my 6400M back to Flex for repairs three separate times in less then a year. This is totally unacceptable. And now they want to sell me a $200 update !!!
  • James Whiteway
    edited January 2019
    Bill, I'm sorry if you think my comments were to disrupt the Community. That never has been my intention. As for my repeating.the same things, yes you are correct. If something is not brought up once in a while., nothing will ever be done about it. I see posts here daily focused on things that interest contesters, that are not working correctly. And very few, if anyone attempts to belittle the poster for mentioning the issue. But, let someone voice their concerns about issues that some seem to thing should just be accepted or ignored, then the thread turns into veiled insults and belittling. None of that improves the situation. Of all the people that post here, I respect your opinion. Even if I do not agree at times. Unfortunately, that cannot be said.for another here who seems to almost enjoy belittling others by constantly reminding everyone of his wealth.and business experience. Along with saying anyone complaining about ongoing issues that he has no interest in, are few and reading in between the lines, do not matter. I respectfully disagree. James WD5GWY
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    If something is not brought up once in a while., nothing will ever be done about it.

Thanks James, one of my points to all, is that continued harping on something will not and can not speed anything up. Everything is well documented. Here is the simple truth. Flex has weekly meetings to discuss the same things we mention here. They set plans in motion. But we do not know what they are, or time frames.

I know this bothers those that just must know all this inside info, but we can't. End of story.
    It makes no difference what bugs they fix, or what features they decide to introduce, there will always be some that will ask,, what about my idea, or,,where is my feature?
    Or, it is nice they added this feature, but it would have been nicer if they did this way, and added this or that.

I honestly believe Flex has tipped the scale in favour of the contesting community were the big money is, and yes Flex has bragging rights for doing things no other company is doing or can do with their radio lines. And Flex is not really considering the average user as they really should be. I can see that as well.

But my radio is just so nice to operate under almost any conditions, anything I need that is not native to SSDR I can find it in other 3rd party software, so simple to setup.

I think of all the great things my radio does so easy compared to other radios that need USB cables and patch cords to do the most simple things that are just part of the Flex system, no cables. Just mouse clicks to set anything up.

My Flex has such a great receiver that I hardly ever need a NB, or ANF. or NR. I just simply carefully adjust the AGC-T and volume and I can live with it. I can't say that for other radios I had. If those filters were not working really well then the radio was almost un usable.

So you see, even with some of the things that are not working as they should, I'm still happy with what I have. NO, I am not blindly giving Flex a free pass, I wish some things were better, but if it were not for the things the radio does so well and I can give credit for, I would look for something else.

But for now as far as I can see the future, I am ok with hoping things come along that I think I can enjoy on my radio and I can enjoy the radio I already have.

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Gerald absolutely knows how to run a company and his kid is pretty good too. He should do a TED talk on excellent customer service.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.