Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What to do if your SmartSDR DAX Drivers Puke or Get Scrambled by a Windows Update?

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in New Ideas
I've done a mashup of the various threads, support articles, downloadable manuals and information on sorting out the DAX issues when Windows wrecks your DAX infrastructure updating.

I segmented what I could find into three levels of fix - Simple Renaming, DAX removal/reinstall and SmartSDR Removal/Reinstall including DAX.

Also tried to capture the various cautions community members and FRS team members have suggested.

https://k9zw.wordpress.com/2019/01/17/if-your-smartsdr-dax-drivers-puke-or-get-scrambled/

I'm running through the drill myself on a PC where Windows did its DAX mess-up tricks, and figured once I gathered everything I could find that I should share back my personal summary.

Appreciate suggestions on improving the mashup.

YMMV of course and the information is what I found was current as of 17 Jan. 2019 for SmartSDR 2.4.9

Steve
K9ZW

Comments

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for this Steve.
    Regarding; "I'm running through the drill myself on a PC where Windows did its DAX mess-up tricks",
      I suspect that before MickeySoft {tm} improves their quality, we will have plenty of use for this document,
    and plenty of time to test and revise it's content.

Cheers,

Neal, N6YFM
    "When all else fails;  There's Macallan 25 YR Single Malt Scotch Whisky "

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    List of possible additions;

1.  Mention Windows 10  Microphone permissions change, 
          found at the bottom of this post;
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/still-having-dax-problems-after-windows-updates

2.  Consider posting the chart of CORRECT DAX driver names, shown in this post;
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/dax-drivers-after-windows-update-or-smartdsr-update

3.  DAX Driver Graphic:   There is a great graphic showing Before/After;
    https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1768546/RackMultipart20181223-45814-het9bg-Correctio...
    which is  most of the way down this post;
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/windows-10-update-vs-dax-new-problem-crash

Those might be really helpful additions.   You might even consider
    making your article a PDF or linked Word Doc on your site, so others
    could print it?   Just an idea.

Cheers,

Neal
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It should be a "sticky" - thanks for the great reference
  • Dave, KY0L
    Dave, KY0L Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    When you’re depending on a computer, especially a Windows computer, it extremely important to periodically backup the computer with point in time image backups. Acronis is backup software that allows you to take point in time image backups. If you run into problems in the future, you can recover your computer back to s point in time when the computer system used to work properly. It’s important to do periodic backups, such as once a month, or more frequently. Keep several different backup points in time. It’s also a good idea to backup to the cloud as well as local. The cloud backup will allow you to recover to a different computer if your computer is stolen or distroyed in a fire. If the computer is recovered to a known good point in time, and the Flex radio still doesn’t work properly. Then you know that the problem is most likely the Flex radio, not the computer. Image backups are very important, since you depend on your computer, and you need to be able to be prepared to fix computer problem. The Microsoft backup software is a poor choice. I tested Microsoft backup software for years. The Microsoft backup software appears to backup the computers, but usually fails to recover the computers when you do test recoveries. Most people fail to backup their computers. Yet the same people would probably not drive around with an empty gas tank and no spare tire. Dave KY0L
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I'll incorporate some of the ideas emailed to me and the additional references shortly.

The neat script Neal N6YFM posted is a great idea to make things more approachable.

Thank you for suggestions, additions!

I'm also thinking that there might be a way I can create a sub-page off my Flex-6000 Software page to make the mashup into a sort of sticky.  

BTW, If your browser has a "Reader View" option you end up with a pretty nice printable version of my posting.

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Updated 20 Jan 19 to offer a simplified DAX removal & replacement set of directions.  

Or at least directions that make sense to the way I think.

YMMV but it fixed my situation easily.

https://k9zw.wordpress.com/2019/01/17/if-your-smartsdr-dax-drivers-puke-or-get-scrambled/

I'm looking through other suggested edits to see how to cherry pick the useful parts while not muddying the waters with links to stuff I couldn't get to work without some tinkering.  

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Perfect added info. the before and after is just what I see as well.
    So helpful to have many eyes looking at this stuff.
    all the best, it works.
    Russ K5OA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.