Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600 or 6600M or 6700

Michael Coslo
Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
Got my comptroller's okay for buying some new major equipment. So I've been looking at a new Flex Radio. So far I've been cogitating over three of them. A 6600, 6600M, or a 6700. I'll be trading my 6300. 

I'm expecting to still use a computer running either SSDR or DogPark. Anyone running Dog Park on a 6400M or 6600M? And finally, is there any reason to go 6700 other than the 8 slices?

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Here is the comparison
     https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1600032/RackMultipart20170522-51073-47i4zu-Model_com...

I have the 6700 and 6600M and my preference of the two is still the older 6700
    but you can judge for yourself what features you want and what you can live without. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Have tried a friends 6600 and compared to my 6700. Doing a lot of contesting, the 6600 with it's better filtering, might (?) be an advantage over my 6700. I do belive that you stil would want to have LP BPF betwen Trx and PA. Probably take away the 6600 filtering advantage then.

With BPF already in place I see no reason to leave the 6700 for the 6600 series when it come to contesting. Can't say I noticed any differences betwen them when listening to weaker signals. Don't do much CW, but happy with both of them. Digital can't see any difference either.

I would still like to separate Maestro from the radio, no M-model for me. Eventhough I very seldom put up more than 2-4 receivers on screen, it happens. 

Whatever you choose, I can't see otherwise than you will be very satisfied. Been with my 6700 for a little over a year, will never look back on any other transceiver.
  • Chris de Voogd
    Chris de Voogd Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Having a 6600 with new MiniMac and  W10 on.Bootcamp
    Prefer W10 (Smar SDR) over Dogpark but both work well
    Chris
    DJ2NL

• Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    6600. I had too many problems with the first gen 6000 series radios but my 6400 and 6600 have been rock solid.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    What kind of problem did you have? Kind of your answer says nothing. Having had the 6500 and no problem what so ever, I'm curios. Always interested to learn something new.

My experience, especially from reading here, is that many problems that are blamed on Flex .. actually are to blame the user for ;)

• Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    How disgusting of you to pose your obvious attack on me (blame the user) as a mere curiosity or interest in learning something new.

How about four or five fan failures on 6300 and 6700 models, a wandering VFO on transmit, and 50+ radio crashes while idle in an extremely clean perfectly climate controlled environment where everything runs on battery backup and a station ground of 25 10' ground rods and probably 700' of #2 copper all cad welded.

The support received from flex was second to no other company I've ever worked with and for that reason I haven't shared the problems I had, especially since the 6400 and 6600 seem to have solved them all so far.

All that said I wouldn't touch the 6300, 6500, or 6700 with a 10' pole when the 6400 and 6600 are such extreme bargains in the radio market.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Sorry about your problems with those radios, but you should be aware that you do not represent the norm. I am one of those that never had any of those problems,,NONE.

Even though you had problems for some reason I would highly recommend a 6500. 6700 to anyone.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I'm sorry if you did take my post wrong. Happy to appologise for any misunderstanding and bad feelings I might have caused you.

You are free to call me names, even disgusting, I can live with that. Can't see though, that to be much better, as what I wrote? Never intended to point finger at you, never did. But English is not my first language and I might have written in a way you could misunderstand.  By the way, you missed the Smile at the end of what I wrote. Was intended to make it a bit less serious.

As VA3WTB I feel sorry for you and all the problems you had. You must be very unlucky having suchs a radio delivered. Do hope you wil be happy with your new radio. But I too would highly recommend a 6300, 6500 or 6700 to anyone I know, based on my personal experience from 6500 and 6700.

• mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Have had them all and vote that you will Like the 6600M Great Radio 73 Mike
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019

I'm running the 6600 after two 6600M failures, both were major issues.  They were having issues integrating the front panel with knobs into the typical Flex no knobs box.  That was a year ago so I'm sure a lot of that has been worked out since then.  They dealt with the issues exceptionally and for that, I also hung in there and believe in Flex and how they are changing the face of ham radio gear.  SDR is they way things are heading and it's only going to get better.

I really enjoy my 6600 and opted for the Maestro just in case I had a dire to twist some dials, so far I haven't missed that action.  The Maestro has been out for years and it's a rock solid.

Have it set up with Win10, 50" 4K HD TV from TCL and just love it.

Rob - AK7RM

Keep it civil guys, the guy is trying to make an informed decision here and this off topic question, Bill, would have been better left unsaid or sent directly to Matt...  Peace out!
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Traded in my 6700 for the 6600M Like the Super Sharp Touch Screen No PC needed externally 73 Mike
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2019
    My experience, especially from reading here, is that many problems that are blamed on Flex .. actually are to blame the user for ;)
    I wouldn't say that's true. Blamed on the user (or windows or network or sun spots or dark magic) but not as often the blame of the user. The history is all here in the forum. Consider not just problems but features. And with bug lists and feature requests pretty much secret you can't really tell what's been acknowledged and track it.

I see it like this...  you buy this radio for its almost perfect numbers and the promise of SDR. Then you adjust to it. It won't adjust to you. It's the boss. Maybe that's not such a bad thing. I don't know.

By the way... same question here. I have the 65 and seriously considering the 66(M-aybe) or 67. I always had 6700 envy. My 65 with the FlexControl is about as knobby as I need a radio.

Kev K4VD

• Don Cunningham
    Don Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Michael,
    I can't answer your question directly, but can tell you of my experience.  I bought a used 6300 a couple of months back.  I really didn't find it as intimidating as I thought it would, and had been looking at the 6400M and thinking about "upgrading" to that.  I don't need the multiple slices, two is sufficient for what I do, so I didn't opt for looking into the 6600M.  I called sales at Flex and talked to Matt.  He first asked how I operated, what I had been using, and why I thought I wanted to change rigs.  I have NEVER experienced that with any other rig purchases, and frankly, it was very refreshing.  I had told him that I thought I would like having the preselector filters, and have the front panel on the rig to give me the knobs I was giving up.  After listening to me, Matt suggested that since I don't contest that the preselector filters would likely not help my rag chewing abilities, and that just buying the Maestro would give me the same "all in one box" type thing I wanted as well as saving me money too.

As I am learning things, he was absolutely right.  I can do all the things I wanted to do and actually in my mind even better.  I can operate the Maestro and 6300 hooked directly together, no computer needed (except to initially set up the Maestro's software), I can hook to the router switch and carry the Maestro around the house and outside if I like.  I could do remote, but I doubt my country wireless internet connection would be less than frustrating, HI.  I guess I'm saying, call sales at Flex and let them help you with your decision.  No pressure, they just patiently listen and "tell it like it is".  Yes, there are things I hope get "fixed" and I'm even looking forward to version 3 to see what changes.
    Don, WB5HAK

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    There is that PC-less aspect. I would usually use the computer to run, since I work mostly digital and SSDR integrates well with the programs I use -  but if I just wanted to do some rag chewing it would be nice to just fire the radio up. and talk.
  • Don Cunningham
    Don Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Michael,
    I notice that I didn't finish my thought on version 3.  If I am understanding correctly, even with the "M" model, you can't have both the front panel and use the computer at the same time, but that will change in version 3 with multi client usage.  Now, I can't use Maestro and still control SSDR in the computer at the same time, but that too should change,
    Don
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Okay - that pretty much puts the 6600M right out of consideration. Last thing I want to do is wait for another whole version to get something I want from the get-go. 
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I concur about the straight shooters at Flex, and the unparalleled service. 
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I’ve had a 6700 from the start (mine is number 11) and added another 6700, a 6600M and a 6300 along the way to have radio at my homes and one at work. The 6600M is an awesome rig. Very powerful yet simple if you’re using the built in front plate. For a pure workhorse the 6700 is epic. Great build bench built feel of quality, and some capabilities unique to the 6000 family. How is that for a dual endorsement that I’m hoping tells you that either is outstanding. Reflect on what you present vision of your operating expectations are, and look at what additional operating experiences you might undertake to select one over the other. Either way is fine choice! 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    6700 has XLR input jack. Nuf said.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If it is in the budget go for the 6700! If I could do it now I would go for a 6700 and trade in my 6500.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    You have waaaaayy too many radios, Steve. If one of them needs a good home..... 8^)
  • Jim Ricker
    Jim Ricker Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    My thoughts. I have had the 6300 and the 6700. Never had any problems with either rig. In fact loved the Flex environment. MY only issue/complaint was Windows 10 updates and the crashing of the Flex DAX and SmartSDR. I tried 3 different computers even rolled back to Windows 7. Just when everything worked well. Some update from windows would glitch it all. I now have the 6400M and LOVE it.I don't even have the PC on the desk anymore.

Yes I have tried DogPark software. It works fine. However after using Smart SDR it seems visually lacking. However for running digital modes and logging on a Mac it is truly the best way to go.I currently use MacLogger and do not use any computer to run the 6400m. I do run an external monitor and so it seems like it is hooked up to a computer but it is not.

I do wish I would have picked up the 6600M for the extra slices.

Your mileage will very but all in all I have thinned the heard down to several radios, however I find on a daily basis I always fire up the Flex 6400M. 

Jim. K6CEF
  • Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I’ve had the 6500 and now have the 6600. Also you might consider how you are going to use the Flex. I have used with IPad, PC and Maestro which gives me options for how I operate. Either around the house or remote, not having a front panel gives me more flexibility. Also I had an opportunity to visit flex back in 2016. Matt was most helpful in making my selection at that time. Also had a problem with windows update back in July and Eric spent time straighting out windows created DAX issues via team viewer. Don’t know of too many companies that would have that kind of service. Anyway will be looking for a 6400 as well in the near future to compliment my 6600. Bob KC9RF
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Michael, for clarification, the M model can be run from either the front panel of the radio or from the PC. It is seamless to switch back and forth between the two. What Don was suggesting is that with Version 3 you will be able to use both at the same time. This is brand new technology that will essentially allow your radio to act as two completely independent radios! 
  • Don Cunningham
    Don Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for that clarification, Matt.  I don't ever want to misinform.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi Mike

As you can see, there are a number of awesome comments here and many ways you can customize your own shack.

As for M or non-M, it is right down the middle on the radios we have shipped.   Some like the standalone design of the M model.  Others like the non M and even more like the non M with a Maestro.

The good thing is that you aren't limited by the radio you purchase and what you an do with it.

Did you know you can take a Lan cable from a Maestro and plug it into the back of any 6000 series radio and you have a stand alone solution.  No router required.  We do this all the time at Hamfests.

All 6000 series radios have been tagged as contest ready radios by others in the ham radio field.  This means the receivers are amazing and you don't have issues with AGC pumping, front end overload and more.

Every 6000 series radio has CESSB - this gives you an extra 3db RF out when compared to non SDR radios.   You can read about it at the ARRL . http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/2014/Nov-Dec_2014/Hershberger_QEX_11_14.pdf

One other thing, is that Flex 6000 series radios are designed from the ground up to be connected to....well everything at the same time.  Logging programs, antenna switches, amplifiers, WSJTx, people and more.  It is designed to be the heart of your HF station.  You can make it as simple as you like or as integrated as you like.  They are designed to grow.

I hope that helps you some.

Mike 
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Matt - that's good to know. I got the estimate for the trade in, and am discussing it with the Boss today. I' getting stoked!
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Michael,  I've used my 6300 for contesting, and am terribly spoiled now. I found that aside from running a frequency, I can S&P at an astonishing rate.  I'm reading the pdf file now - which is exceptionally interesting. That 3 db of oomph might just be the reason I can run successfully using 100 Watts.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    My personal 6000 series experience first with a 6500, then a 6700. Always have had units on 24/7 besides some locking in earlier software versions, other than that I have had no problems, no fans issues what so ever. There may have been a day or two where I have shut down the radio but for the most part, 24/7. I have always ran both radios with an independent Alinco DM330 type power supply, by independent I mean nothings else but the radio.
    I have nothing on top of the radio and no other equipment stacked too close on either side so there is plenty air flow. For the past few years the 6700 is rack mounted in a 5 U rack box with covers off the front and back. The Alinco DM330 is mounted inside the box along with a Furman PL-8 power line conditioner.
    Was intended to be a GO BOX but I don't go anywhere :) 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.