Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

smart sdr version 3

Answers

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I don't think he ever said that Bill. Like a lot of software it runs for 30 days without purchase. This would be after final release.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Ok so when would the trial be? after a version is complete? a year later?
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I think what he was saying you could be running version 2 and want to try version 3 to see it it benefits you.  It runs 15 days or 30 days and then expires where you have to purchase it or uninstall and go back to your version 2.   There is a lot of software out there like this.  CWskimmer is an example.   Doesn't matter to me as I will just buy it if it appears there is enough value in the updates. 

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Bill,

Here is what I am saying so we are all on the same page:

After v3 is released allow all users to try it for a trail period (15, 30 days whatever). If they like it then they can purchase it.

If they don't like it then they can revert back to the previous version that they were using.

Because some users like to wait before installing a new release, the free trial period would begin whenever a user downloads the new release for the first time. This could be immediately after the release is made available or some time later(3 months, 2 weeks, whatever) What is so confusing about that?

I paid $199 for V2 and got panadapters that could be separated and an increase in the preamp. Both features are nice but it makes me wonder why these features were not included originally

For example,  2.4.9 gave us colored S meters. The other meters like Level were already colored by intensity. Why wasn't the S meter done in this manner at the same time? Was it held back so it could be hailed as an exciting new feature for a future upgrade?  I don't know.

I really would like to hear from FRS about the possibility of a free trial. So far no one has commented even after I directed that question to Steve.

I think my 6700 is the best radio on the market and I say so all the time on QRZ. But I do not want to blindly lay out a lot of cash just to have a new release without knowing if that release will work for me.

Hopefully this is now crystal clear. If you still cannot understand the concept of a free trail then I suggest you google it for more information.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Pat, I got it, I was asking only in light of how SSDR software is created, and how it would work.

But we should be fair as well. In every new version be version 2 or 3 they all have a main feature that defines each version. Version 2 was all about remote and Smart Link. Version 3 is said to be about multi client. And perhaps Flex version of pure signal? And along these versions smaller things are add like the ones you mentioned, not to forget the hundreds of fixes and performance tweeks.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Yes, v2 was about remote operations which I do not and never will do. Had I had an opportunity to test it out via free trail I would have probably not purchased it as there were not enough "goodies" worth $199 to me.

Regarding the bug fixes that come with each new release. I think these should be applied to whatever version you are using because if you purchased v1 and it has bugs that are not fixed until v2 then why should you be required to pay $199 for the v2 just to get the bugs fixed that existed in v1 which you already paid for?

When a new version is released does that mean that bugs in the prior release are no longer being fixed unless you pony up the coin for the new release? That's another good question for FRS
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    "Regarding the bug fixes that come with each new release. I think these should be applied to whatever version you are using because if you purchased v1 and it has bugs that are not fixed until v2 then why should you be required to pay $199 for the v2 just to get the bugs fixed that existed in v1 which you already paid for?"

In my case they have pretty much took care of bugs on older versions.  I love my Flex. Just hoping they come out with more features for the average ham. In my 4 or 5 years with Flex, very few updates have benefited me.

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2018
    Pat, to your direct question, we've just not had a serious discussion internally about trial software.  It's no more complicated than that.  Doing so would require additional development work that could be allocated to adding new capabilities, so that trade-off exists.  It would require effort to manage the process as well for when there are issues (I signed up for a trail license and it doesn't work, the trail license I got only lasts until **** can I get an extension, I installed the software and everything was fine and now a month later it doesn't work and I need my radio now, etc).  

I think someone also mentioned that they didn't want to purchase the software because the last version wasn't what they wanted.  This is how the process works and that's perfectly fine with FlexRadio.  We want you to look at the features and decide if it's something you want.  If it doesn't bring value to your operation, we don't expect you to buy the software (unless you just want to contribute to ongoing development which we're happy for you to do).  Conversely, we watch how many people buy and ask questions about what features are desired by customers in an effort to bring the most value to the most customers.  
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2018
    Just to be clear, we do communicate what is in the software at the time of release and typically in advance of that time.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Steve,

Please answer these two simple questions

1)  Do you test new versions of SSDR on all versions of Windows that SSDR will run on or only the latest version of Windows.

This is important because if you only test on Windows 10 then in reality as a Windows 8.1 user I would be buying untested software for my version of Windows

2) Why doesn't FRS offer a free trial for new releases? This is common practice for the majority of software thees days.

I've asked question #1 at least 5 times now with no response. Don't let this be #6.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Pat, to your direct question, we've just not had a serious discussion internally about trial software.  It's no more complicated than that.  Doing so would require additional development work that could be allocated to adding new capabilities, so that trade-off exists.  It would require effort to manage the process as well for when there are issues (I signed up for a trail license and it doesn't work, the trail license I got only lasts until **** can I get an extension, I installed the software and everything was fine and now a month later it doesn't work and I need my radio now, etc).  
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Bill, do you work for FRS or not. One minute you act as if you do and the next you say your not.

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Steve ,

Can you please address my second question about testing new releases? Are they just done on the latest Windows or all versions of Windows that SSDR runs on?
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Wondering if you put in a help ticket with flex? Don - kx9q
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    LOL, you would think so at times. But his cut and paste made it sound like it.

• KC8P
    KC8P Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    OMG, Pat, Steve from FRS answered your question above. Bill just did copy and paste!
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Steve,

Regarding your answer about free trials.

A free trial environment does not require constant monitor or man hours.

I've been writing software systems for 35 years so I have a little bit of experience in this area. Trial offers are for the most part on auto pilot with very little human intervention once set up. The same app can be used regardless of the release version being offered for trial.

You say users may call and ask for extensions. Do you actually think users call Microsoft for an extension to a trial offer? When was the last time you called a software company asking for an extension?

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I think I read were there are more then 1000 bugs yet to tackle. These bugs are put in two catagorys. Bugs that are considered vital and effect the performance of the radio. And then bugs that well, just anoy us. If Flex were to stop everything and only work on bugs in each version, would that be ok?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Pat, do you really think Flex is new to this?
    Anyways was answered
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Do you expect them to simply ignore the bugs until they are addressed in a future full release that requires you to pay more money for the fixes to the software that you already paid for?

That would in reality be charging you for bug fixes.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Until I can get a clear answer from Flex about the testing I will not buy any more releases.

I must know that the software has been tested for my version of Windows and because no one seems to want to answer my question then I have no choice but to assume that releases are not being tested for Windows 8.1
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Bug fixes are spread out into each update, it is only possible to address so many in a single release update. Being that perhaps there are only 4 or 5 updates a year it would be hard to funish every bug in the back log. It is possible that bugs in v2 could carry over to v3. But they could stop everything they are working on to complete the back log I supose.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Pat that is fair,,simply don't buy. I think it depends on what windows versions the testers are using at the time.

I think your question is not being ingnored, Steve and the team would be very busy right now,,they will get to it....
  • KC8P
    KC8P Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Pat, answer for your question is in the SmartSDR Software User Guide. Have you seen it?

3.2 MINIMUM WINDOWS AND .NET REQUIREMENTS SmartSDR is a Windows .NET Framework application designed to operate on Windows 7, Windows 8.x and Windows 10. The .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile is required. The minimum version of Windows supported by SmartSDR v1.2.0 and greater is Windows 7. The SmartSDR Installer will automatically detect your current Windows version and will notify you if it does not meet the minimum operating system requirements
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Paul I am not sure about that, but being that Flex has an advantage over other radios this would be easy to set up.
    How ever I have seen on the community were people have expressed thinking of buying a Flex radio and I have offered my radio to them to try,,and they all declined my offer.
    Perhaps you could try the same thing and see what response you get.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    How does that address which version (s) of Windows the testing is done on?
  • KC8P
    KC8P Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It is obvious, if the application is supported on Windows 7 and above, they have to do the testing on all newer OS versions, it is a standard development and quality assurance process before the final build is released to the end user. It is an industry standard. 

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    "It is an industry standard."

So is a free trial but they don't do that. How would you know what version of Windows they test on?

Also, if they are testing new releases on Windows 8.1 then why not just say so? I've now asked that question 6 times without an answer.

I've paid out over $7,000 so I think I should at least get an answer to a simple question

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Pat I realize you feel this question is all important to you. But you need to wait till someone has the time to answer you. For me, I think Steve has devoted more time on this then he should.
  • KC8P
    KC8P Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    "...application designed to operate on Windows 7, Windows 8.x and Windows 10." = tested, they support it....Windows 8.x = Windows 8.1 If you having an issue with 8.1 open a ticket and they will help you. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.