Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power Pole connectors

2»

Answers

• Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Glad that you have had no issues with PP Connectors, but we're talking about Mfr Supplied cables with PP Connectors installed, not home made where the user can control the assembly procedure and know that they are assembled (hopefully) correct.

Tom W3FRG
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited July 2018
    Power cables, regardless of manufacturer or connector style, are something I always inspect before energizing. Out of the box these cables appear correctly fabricated to me. I know QA is a moving target for some - but they look fine here.
    Maybe it's overkill, but I have to go back to service loops and moreover common wiring & cabling sense. Stressing the cables (banjo string syndrome) even intermittently will stress both the wire-to-contact connections and the plug-to-socket contacts, and ultimately will lead to a failure of some kind.

This thread peaked my interest, so I measured the insertion force. Mine measured ~15N. My radio is fairly new, so that may explain why it's slightly above the spec of 13N (no tolerance given). At an extra cost one could move to the "high force" PP version raising that to 22N. Whether or not that would mitigate the banjo string syndrome is doubtful.
    73 Jim, WQ2H
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I honestly have to say that I just gave Power Pole connectors another chance.  I bought the crimper and a kit of contacts and housings.  I followed all the directions very carefully and I generally am very good with connector making having a lot of experience.

Of my 4 power pole cable I made only 2 worked.  2 needed to be angled rather oddly to make contact.  Yes I triple verified the correct insertion connection.  I purchased 2 ready made DC cables with lugs from Mountain West and modeled my connections after theirs.

I am sorry to say but I have almost zero confidence in these connectors.  I am using one of the Mountain West Power gate devices to route power from PS or Battery and had to use Powerpoles to mate with that.    But the connections to the radio are simply concerning.

If I could I would replace my powerpole connections on everything with something like listed above or some other alternative.   I really have come to hate these things after recently spending $130 plus and feeling like I still cannot get a solid connection.

I've fought with various connectors for close to 30 years now.  Some are great, some not so much and these in my opinion fall into the not so much category.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I'll agree, they simply are a lousy connector and don't rally provide a good positive pressure to make a good solid connection- most of the time, in fact it's not uncommon that these connections get oxidized and require cleaning to get full power/amperage connections, when I see  power output drop in TX equipment where PP are used there my first check, usually they need a good cleaning or redone, frankly there a poor design and the folks who thought they would make a great power connector haven't a clue.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I never thought of that, Mike. But I do support all of my cables with hangers on the underside of my desktop overhang. Nothing hangs by more than 18 inches without support. I have had no problems with power poles working loose.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you use #10 wire, you may have a difficult time using the 30 amp connectors. I picked up some 45 amp connectors that will mate with 30’s, but accommodate the larger wire.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Yes... Well shoot it is sad the radio has them but I guess , at least in my installation, the radio should rarely move.

@NM9P - I've tried all kinds of wire.  I was using 12ga which is smaller than I wanted and I used the 45A connectors.  The cables tone out fine but when plugged in they don't always make great contact.  I had to bend the prongs up some to get reasonable contract.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Maybe I am doing something wrong.. but in spite of having literally dozens of power pole devices in my shack for years I have never an issue.  in fact I got rid of the Molex years ago and converted everything to Power Poles for EOC compatibility

I DO NOT HAVE ISSUES

Why?

Because

1.I bought professional grade crimping and insertion tools,

2. I made all the connections myself.

3. I use Anderson Branded (Not Chinese that they Sell at HRO) Connectors

4. I use Deox-It and,

5. Where possible I put strain relief ties so that they cannot be pulled out or have excessive failure causing strain on them.

Follow these simple steps and you will never have issues

I have been to many EOC.. all use Power Poles exclusively

No issues when they are professionally installed with quality parts...

BUT AVOID LOW QUALITY (non USA) PARTS SOLD AT HRO

• Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Howard, you have missed the point of the original posting.
    These were not home made cables with PP connectors, these were supplied with the Flex radio that failed to stay in place.

Tom W3FRG
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It is interesting to see some people having trouble with the Power pole plugs. My radio is a pre owned certified 6500. I had some connection problems when I first got it. After reading about my problem I simply bent the metal tab inside back up into place. It now makes a very firm connection and it takes lots of pulling to pull it out of the Flex now,  I am sure that some are having problems with theirs and I don't know what or why that is,,But in my case they are a really good connection, and that is after years of use.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have moved to soldering them on to the cables, just be sure to tin the wire first and don't let the solder get on the tip or ball up with too much solder so they don't fit the shell.
    Just seems like crimping deforms them.

All this could be avoided by FLEX putting a restraining loop for a zip tie or move the connector out further of the case so the Power Pole restrainer hole can be accessed on the Radio's them selves.

I have burn't out MANY MOLEX connectors far more then Power Pole connectors with the industry I'm in so as Howard has commented "just use good quality connectors and the proper tools".

73's
    Bret

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    What some are doing is putting cable strap on the Ground **** to take any strain away from the power connector.
    1 Nylon Cable Clamp100 pcspack Natural
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    A number of things to make sure ,  you are using the correct size of power pole pin for the wire size/amps you are putting through it,  the correct Crimper,  and the correct way to put it in the crimping tool.  I have used power pole connectors since the early 90's with no problems. Any person I know that had a problem was doing one of the three things above.   I have attached two pictures.  This is the actual Anderson Power Pole crimpers.  The other ones do not work as well, if at all !   The second picture shows proper way to insert pin into crimper. If the crease is not to the top the connection will fail. Also important not to inset pin to far into crimper. 
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I think it now time to change the subject to "How To Make A proper PL-259 Connector!!! :-)

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Not to highjack the post,,have to make a new post?

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    That's the crimper I have.  It is one of about 8 crimpers I own.  I purchased my crimper and power poles at West Mountain Radio.  Whether they are selling Anderson or Chinese I have no idea.

I've made enough cables using various crimpers to know good from bad and to understand wire size versus connector size.

My issues with power poles have nothing really to do with the connector and crimping.  It is the actual connection between connector A and connector B.

Someone in this thread makes a key point:  They bend the connectors up to ensure they make good contact.

I think this would work for mine as well but I've never used a connector before that required me to manually bend the terminals.  It seems that indicates a poor design.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Mark these tabs are spring loaded to speak. After a while they need to be bent back in place, then they connect tight.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Re:  "AVOID LOW QUALITY (non USA) PARTS SOLD AT HRO"

OK, I'll bite...   How can I shop and tell which "power poles are REAL
    Anderson Brand vs. the cheap china copies?   I will agree that most products
    I have purchased from China in the past, no matter if connectors, tools, electronics,
    are measured rather cheaply/sloppy with inaccurate tolerances.  All it takes is
    to be off by a few thousandths of an inch, and the connection between pole A and B will not make very good contact.  My experience exactly, more than once.

So, since Anderson does not stamp their name in the connector, how do I tell
    I am getting REAL product, and where do I find real product?

Cheers,

Neal
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Re:   "I think it now time to change the subject to "How To Make A proper PL-259 Connector!!! :-)"

God, NO!  :-)   Pah-Leeeze don't   :-)
    If you must, re-start that thread over on the open sewer pit called Eham.net
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Lol,,if you go to far off the original topic, Flex will close the post...
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Just kidding folks!!!
  • Tom    N5MOA
    Tom N5MOA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Powerwerx is one place to get them, they also make a crimper. Both in the link.

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-261g2-powerpole-contact-pp45?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItbuL28zq3AIVGbbACh0RQg...

I got a bag of 45amp connectors on Amazon and made another cable for my 6500. It doesn't fall off the radio if it moves now. Still don't particularly care for the connectors. :-)

https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Powerpole-Connectors-Amp-pair/dp/B00W8TN4KY/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=...

73, Tom
    N5MOA

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Tom W3FRG

I never use any vendor's premade connectors as I prefer to roll my own.
    So I cannot attest to the quality or lack thereof of Flex's supplied cables.

I have had terrible results with the off brand allegedly Anderson connectors that HRO sold me so I now stick to Anderson Branded Connectors where I have never had reliability issues.

From my engineering experience designing systems for harsh environments, I am also a firm believer in STRAIN RELIEF on EVERY CONNTECTION even when it does not seem to need it...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.