Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

OS X Port

W1MSG
W1MSG Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for iOS
I would love to see the developer port the iOS version to OSX. I have the DPSDR but not real happy with it. I love the iOS version ! Would like to have a Native Mac version will all the functions of the Windows and iOS version.

Answers

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Apple is going to allow us to run iOS apps on our Macs soon. They are not going to merge the operating systems, but at some point in the not too distant future, your wish should be granted.

Apparently despite our whining and pleading and begging, Flex will not make SSDR for MacOS.  In the meantime, we have DogPark. I paid for Dogpark, and I'd pay for SSDR too.

Windows users are going to give up control of their desktop in the not too distant future - Microsoft is going to a rental model. I wish this was a joke, but the future is called Microsoft Managed Desktop. I have no idea what the fix will be after updates bork computer/radio setups then. 
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    But then there is this:

Once again, sensationalist clickbait is claiming Microsoft will soon require a subscription fee to “rent” your Windows operating system. This just isn’t true. Microsoft’s “desktop as a service” plan is only for businesses, and it also includes hardware—not just software.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/360938/no-m...
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Yep you just stay in denial, its coming my friend the light in the tunnel is a train thats getting ready to run those in denial over, why would microsoft make no comment on it, because they know what is coming and where they are going with it they are not going to miss this cash cow ... I hear the train a coming ... and im so outta there ... long live windows 7.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I work in the IT field and have been to many tech conferences.  It's not coming for the home user soon but you are correct, it is coming.  Microsoft wants to move everything to a subscription service.  
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    For 20 years I have read roughly annual rumors that Yahoo will soon charge for its free email service.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Microsoft charges .41ct's a day for the first year and the more you use it the cheaper it gets!..
    But that is for the home version not Pro...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/windows?icid=Homepage_LeftNav_02_Windows_en_US&activetab=tab%3ashopwindows10
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Isnt that great 41 cents a day whether i use my computer or not, what a rip off paying for something you dont use instead of paying only when you use it. Long live apple and linux.
  • W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    So glad I asked about a possible port from iOS to OSx .. Please take the OS War somewhere else please ..
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Long live Microsoft.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Okay - I am not used to people questioning my veracity, and not quite certain how Yahoo mail got into the mix - but here's some of the rumbling...
    Surface as a service - This exists right now!  https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-microsofts-surface-as-a-service-leasing-program-works/

Microsoft is hiring people for managed desktop service. https://www.petri.com/wheres-microsoft-365-headed-next-managed-desktop

So anyhow, if this is all hoohaww (technical term) I'll be really pleased that Microsoft gives me the control of the device I want. 

But these are test programs, a way to both allow Microsoft to learn how to run managed desktop, and ease consumers into giving up their control of their computers.

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Anyhow, the iOS version should be running on MacOS soon. I appear to have ignited the war accidentally, so major mea culpas all around. 
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft | August 25, 2016 -- 14:37 GMT (07:37 PDT) | Topic: Cloud

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-microsofts-surface-as-a-service-leasing-program-works/

By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft | August 25, 2016 -- 14:37 GMT (07:37 PDT) | Topic: Cloud

======================

The job description states “Microsoft 365 Managed Desktop (MMD) is a new, per-user subscription service that enables customers with devices that can take advantage of the latest productivity tools and technologies (Device as a Service) in a secure, monitored, and supported IT environment (IT as a Service).”

Hasn't happen and it reads like Microsoft devices only like the Surface laptop

or Microsoft their hardware.

Surface laptop has the option of Windows 10 -S which is becoming restricted to windows store apps and other certain software approved by Microsoft and my guess would fall in this service category guess.

Microsoft would manage their hardware software.

============================

2cts more.

• Doug - K3TZR
    Doug - K3TZR Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm a Mac user but in other posts on this forum I've supported the idea that Flex should not produce a Mac version of SmartSDR since it would dilute their efforts (and acknowledging the fact that Mac users are a small minority of their customers).

Marcus' SmartSDR for iOS is an outstanding product. I hope that he will use the new features in Apple's upcoming macOS release to bring it to the Mac. I own a copy of it and look forward to future versions.

I own a 6500 and over the last few years I've attempted to create a Mac version of SmartSDR, it's a difficult task. The first step is to create a Mac version of FlexLIb the "API" of the radio. I've pretty much completed that. Once the API is complete then starts the task of writing the client (i.e. a SmartSDR-like Mac app). I've made progress on that front but, again, it's a large and difficult task.

My software is all open-source and can be seen on Github (https://github.com/DougPA?tab=repositories ). I hope others can use it and / or learn from it. I'll continue to work on it but it shouldn't be confused with a commercial product with all the attendant support a company like Flex can provide.

A good example of what can be done using my work can be seen on DL3LSM's web page (https://dl3lsm.blogspot.com). Mario has built a Mac version of DAX and CAT on top of my API  making it possible to run things like WSJT on your Flex radio using a Mac without a Windows PC.
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited August 2018
    It is a large and difficult task Doug, I know, I spent the last 3 years developing and supporting dogparkSDR and several years before that supporting the direct LAN connection between Flex and MacLoggerDX. The Flex 6000 series has been very well supported on the Mac since it's inception.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW
  • W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Don, Yes it has been supported and I am a paying customer of most of your software including the SDR. I just like having two slices visable at the same time rather than one or the other.
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited August 2018
    dogparkSDR currently supports the display of 4 slices and 4 pan adapters simultaneously. https://www.dogparksoftware.com/dpsdr_screen_shots.html
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I love DogparkSDR.  I use it probably more than SmartSDR.  It takes a little getting used to since it looks different than SSDR but it is a really solid program and I use it almost exclusively when I use digital modes remotely.  And Don's support is second to none. 
  • W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks Don, I figured that out.. I have to stop thinking windows and start thinking Mac lol. You make it easy I just have to pay attention is all ..

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.