Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400 Receive Antennas

2»

Answers

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Brad, before you order the 7610, you might want to peruse the user manual.  ICOM makes fine radios (I have 3), but like any radio, it has shortcomings, and you might find that it lacks other features that may be important to you.  That’s why I opted for a Flex instead of the ICOM.   

BTW, my first “radio” was a brand new Hallicrafters S-120, followed by a Heathkit HW-16 rig, so I guess that qualifies me an “expert” in old age too!  (-:

Howard

• Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    It would be a real bummer to "move on to an Icom" and then find out that its "independent receivers" are the same as the 6400M.  For every transceiver I've ever owned, the "second independent receiver" was not really a stand-alone separate receiver -- it was only good for listening using the same antenna and usually on the same band.  My FT-1000MP MarkV, which was near-top of the line when I bought it (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) was like that.

de Roger W6VZV
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    To be fair to the 7610, it does have two ADCs, albeit I believe they are not quite equivalent to each other. The whole conversation about heat sinks on the 7610 ADCs clearly indicated two of them. And the 6400/6600 are also not free from heat sink issues. Both Flex and Icom make good radios, but none are perfect.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    As usual, Ken arrives as the voice of reason.  That, along with his technical knowledge, excellent writing skills, and ability to make a complex subject easier to understand, makes him more than worthy of the title "Elmer."
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    As a ham of 54 years (read that "old man") and Flex owner since 2010 (Flex 5000 to 6300 to 6600 in 2018), I experienced no difficulty understanding the difference between 1 and 2 SCU radios or the front end/filtering differences between all models.  Now, I'm all for extending grace but I take minor exception to folks accusing Flex Radio with misrepresenting their products.  The product comparison table states that the 6300 and 6500 radios are single SCU and incapable of full duplex or diversity reception.  The 6600 and 6700 are capable on both counts.  More importantly, if a person is unhappy with his/her purchase decision, they DO have 30 days to return or upgrade the product.  Do I-K-Y do that?  When I consider how patient and kind Flex guys were to newbies like me, whether over the phone or at hamfests, I have difficulty hearing them accused of misrepresentation.
  • k9bm .
    k9bm . Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Based on the length of this thread and the number of folks who have weighed in, I think it's fair to say this is NOT a black and white issue.  Ken NM9P had the most sober assessment of the different angles.  To be clear, I never said that Flex had hoodwinked me or misrepresented its product.  What I did say was that Flex used language that was misleading to anyone without an intimate knowledge of the architecture of SD radios.   And I stand by that position, feeling that Flex should share some of the burden of ushering in a new age of radio by helping folks, old and young, understand what they are buying.  If they attach new meanings to old words, this should be clearly explained.

Anyway, I've changed my mind and decided to keep the 6400.  It's not even remotely worth an extra $2k to add 6 meter receive capability.  I have my old Icom 756PRO collecting dust, so I'll interface it with the computer and monitor 6 meters while using the 6400 that way.  I am truly grateful for all the comments, and I guess I'm (slightly) smarter than I was yesterday....

73, Brad K9BM
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Brad,  I think you will find, as I did with my 6500, that you have purchased an excellent rig.  Although there is a bit of a learning curve, once you master the panadapter, the settings for AGC-T, and Mic Profiles, you will be amazed at its performance, in spite of the initial letdown of expectations regarding the definition of the receiver(s).

I wouldn't be without my 6500, unless it was to upgrade to the 6600 some day in the not to distant future.

Good luck, and as I can be helpful, please contact me.

Ken - NM9P
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    OM I am a new 6400M owner/user and I have been totally loving the rig.  I am pretty sure that you will too.
    de Roger W6VZV
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If you just want to montor 50 MHz, why not get a SDR-receiver like the Elad S2, this will allow you to see whats going on, and if there is someting you can quickly switch over to the Flex.
    The S2 covers 0-60 plus FM/Air and 2 meters and then some.
    /Lasse SM5GLC
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Roger,, still have my FT-1000MP MarkV,, 200 watts and 80 watts Class A operation... And a Synchronous Detector,, glad FLEX has one as well!!

Robert 6600M
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    WOW, things are calming down now, and we have another loyal 6400 Flex Customer!!! Before I decided on my 6600M, I spent an hour on the phone with Flex marketing.. I had my list of questions, and they were all answered.. 8 out of 10 questions were answered with a Thumbs Up, I like that, but two questions did not satisfy my radio operating desires, but they were Far Down my list of must have in my radio needs and one of two might be in a future software release.  I also asked a lot about their manufacturing techniques in Texas, and their QC process etc. etc.  One thing I was VERY EXCITED to hear was that Flex charges $200 to upgrade to a new Higher version of Software!!! So when 3.0 is released, It should have some very exciting features.. And we know that development cost time and labor cost.. If Flex could not recoup some of their cost, then where is the incentive to spend the time in development?? If it all plays out, that $200 will get Flex Owners a Next generation Software Package... In the meantime 2.**** will continue to get minor upgrades and changes For Free!! 

Thanks Flex
    Robert 6600M
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It has everything to do with it, the receiver in an SDR radio is much much different then a non SDR radio.  So as I said,,if you understand that an SDR radio uses ADCs and SCUs you would know what they are and what they work.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Robert, I remember Gerald saying that the $200.00 does not even cover the cost of development. 
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Your Correct,, So Flex charges a Modest Amount, they probably could charge $1000, but most people will probably Run Away, so $200 seems like a sweet Spot...
  • David Pearson
    David Pearson Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021

Wish I read this before I purchase my Flex-6400. Feeling dumb for not noticing this. About to put the Flex-5000 back into operations. So, the Flex-6400 is like Flex-5000 without a second receiver.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

If the purchase is within 30 days, flex will take it back and refund.

• Past the 30 days already, life got busy, so I miss the window. I will have to sell it then upgrade next year.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.