Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slice Master 6000 - aggregation server not working

DF1LON Lars
DF1LON Lars Member ✭✭
edited July 2018 in Third-Party Software
I had some trouble to get Slice Master running. I figured out that the software expects the additional components like CW skimmer in the default location. So this part is working now.

I also love the new feature to send the spots to the radio. So I selected ve7cc.net as spots sourcre; great feature.

But now I would like to use the aggregation server. I choose port 7550 as server port and and enabled the aggregation server.
I would expect to receive any DX cluster messages now on port 7550 in my telnet session. But I receive nothing. No spots from VE7CC, no spots from CW Skimmer
Welcome to the Slice Master 6000
CW Skimmer aggregation cluster
Please enter your callsign:df1lon
df1lon de SKIMMER Slice Master >
To ALL de DF1LON/A <1214Z> : Clicked on "OH6GAZ" at 14027.04
To ALL de DF1LON/A <1214Z> : Clicked on "" at 14027.04
To ALL de DF1LON/A <1214Z> : Clicked on "" at 14027.04
If I click on a spot in the CW Skimmer, the Flex jumps to the right frequency and I can see the commands in the aggregation cluster. But no spots!

Any idea what might be wrong?

Currently I use Slice Master 6000 v0.10.5b.

73 de Lars
DF1LON

Comments

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    So far adding in new 3rd party programs have been very successful!!! I just load the new 3rd party software and almost do nothing and it starts to work.. I think sometimes things can be overly complex,, So far I have not read any instructions for things like Slicer, DM-760 etc. This is just to thank Flex and these 3rd party software programs to integrate so easily!! A few months back, someone said to be sure that SSDR is fully launched and connected to the radio BEFORE you launch these 3rd party programs,, and so far that seems to be good advice.. Upgraded to the newest software last night, and all went well, better then the last upgrade a few weeks back... WSJT-X working like a CHARM!!!!  OK, I guess I should read the information/Instructions now and see what secret functions I might be missing!!! LOL

Robert
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Lars,

This is largely problem with expectations.  You seem to be doing everything right.  Slice Master was never intended to provide a full featured spot aggregation server.  You should connect to it just to get the spots that are generated by the programs it launches, like CW Skimmer and WSJT-X.  The additional spot sources are there to provide even more spots to the SSDR spot display.

For full featured spot aggregation there are many choices out there.  Slice Master works quite well with VE7CC's CC User, Logger32, and DXLab's Spot Collector or anything else that provides a filtered telnet connection.  Use a Slice Master spot source to connect to one of these programs and have them pull spots from the cluster.  Usually, you'll have that same program connect to Slice Master's aggregation server as well to grab and process the spots that Slice Master has discovered.

As far as CW Skimmer not sending spots to Slice Master, check the setting in CW Skimmer's setting dialog under the Calls tab and also in Slice Master's setting tab in the CW Skimmer group.  It's possible that CW Skimmer is not validating the calls from the signals it is seeing or that Slice Master has been told not to send them. Are you seeing calls decoded in the CW Skimmer's calls list?

--Don
  • DF1LON Lars
    DF1LON Lars Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Don,

my problem is, that the aggregation server does not show any spots. If I understood the feature correctly, it collects the spots from the CW Skimmers and sends the output to the aggregation server port. But unfortunately I do not see any spots on my defined port.

If I connect directly to a CW Skimmer via telnet I see the spots the CW Skimmer collects. So the CW Skimmer is working as expected.

In my example above, I clicked on a spot in the CW Skimmer. But this spot was never published by the aggregation server. I believe that the connection is active (I can see that I clicked on the spot) but the aggreation server does not show the spots.

Where do I tell Slice Master not to send CW Skimmer spots? I only have an option to enable/disable the aggregation server. The spot filter for CW Skimmer is set to any, so I should see all callsigns send by CW Skimmer.

Lars
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Lars, here is my setup. CWSkimmer is not used. The spots will be shown after some seconds. If they are not in your band section, click B to show the whole band. 
    BTW WA9PIE and DD5XX work, VE9CC does not work (here) in SliceMaster.

Vy 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • DF1LON Lars
    DF1LON Lars Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Here are my settings. I do not get any VE7CC spots and I do not get any CW Skimmer populated by aggregation server. But all spots from VE7CC are sent to the radio and shown correctly in the bandmap.

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Lars,

Spots from VE7CC should not be showing up in the aggregation sever.  Spots from CW Skimmer should.  Your Slice Master configuration settings look good.

I'm curious about your CW Skimmer settings.  On it's 'Calls' tab there are settings for callisgn verification.  I'm wondering if you have that set too aggressively.  A call shows up in CW Skimmer's 'Callsigns' dialog, it should find its way to Slice Master and out the aggregation server.

Note too that there is a newer version of Slice Master available.  You might give that one a try.

--Don

• DF1LON Lars
    DF1LON Lars Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This is the output of my CW skimmer if I connect directly to it.
    DF1LON de SKIMMER 2018-07-11 14:16Z CwSkimmer >
    sh/dx
     14020.3  HA8QC       11-Jul-2018 1414Z    4 dB  24 WPM             <DF1LON/A-#>
     14021.5  KF3B        11-Jul-2018 1414Z   14 dB  28 WPM  DE         <DF1LON/A-#>
     14024.0  R6AF        11-Jul-2018 1416Z   12 dB  23 WPM             <DF1LON/A-#>
     14035.5  RA4PBE      11-Jul-2018 1414Z   13 dB  19 WPM             <DF1LON/A-#>
     14005.1  RL9LD       11-Jul-2018 1414Z   13 dB  22 WPM             <DF1LON/A-#>
     14024.2  RW9W        11-Jul-2018 1415Z   11 dB  28 WPM             <DF1LON/A-#>
     14005.1  SP8IOV      11-Jul-2018 1416Z   13 dB  23 WPM  CQ         <DF1LON/A-#>
     14016.0  UA4PKN      11-Jul-2018 1416Z    9 dB  27 WPM             <DF1LON/A-#>
    DF1LON de SKIMMER 2018-07-11 14:16Z CwSkimmer >
    DX de DF1LON/A-#:14019.3  RQ3M           14 dB  26 WPM                1417Z
    This is the output from the aggregation cluster in the same time frame:
    Welcome to the Slice Master 6000
    CW Skimmer aggregation cluster
    Please enter your callsign:df1lon
    login:
    df1lon
    Hello>
    I do not see any of these spots. But why? There is no difference if I use version 0.10.5d.

Lars
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Lars,

That's a very good question.  What happens when you send an 'sh/dx' command to the aggregation server?

Please send an email to the address in the Slice Master splash screen and attach a zip of the Slice Master configuration folder

C:Users<your name here>AppDataLocalK1DBOslice-master

just right click on that folder and select the Send to/Compressed (zipped) folder option.  Then drag that zip into the email.  Note that you might have to unhide your AppData folder.

--Don

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.