Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Old versions of SmartSDR. Can old versions of SmartSDR be deleted or are there dependencies for the

Bob Donnelly
Bob Donnelly Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Answers

• WB5CCO
    WB5CCO Member
    edited February 2016
    I have deleted mine with no issues. Richard WB5CCO
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    Bob, that is a really good question. As Richard indicated, deleting older versions of SmartSDR will have no operational affect on later installed versions.
  • Rich K3SOM
    Rich K3SOM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Tim, That would be useful information to include in the release notes for the next version of the SmartSDR release.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    What would be the process if a user every needed to "roll back" a version to an earlier one? Thank you and 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Steve, Currently there isn't a roll back process. Starting with SmartSDR v0.13.10 and greater, the radio will load the required radio software for the particular version of SmartSDR for Windows you are running, so in the future, if you run an older version (greater than 0.13.10) of SmartSDR for Windows, the radio will down rev itself. Load a newer version of SmartSDR for Windows, the radio will upgrade itself.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That's pretty slick!
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I am sorry if this seems like I am labouring the point.  I have recently installed v2.3.7 and it is all working beautifully.  When I look on my hard drive, in C:Program FilesFlexRadio Systems, I have folders for FlexVSP, SmartSDR then a separate folder for each version that I have previously used.
    Assuming that I leave the FlexVSP, SmartSDR and SmartSDR v2.3.7 folders in place, is it safe to just delete the others without trying to perform a tricky uninstall?
    I am getting short of hard drive space and need to clean up ... 

David G4NRT
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2018
    Please read the Release Notes.  This is covered in detail.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    With respect, the release notes cover uninstalling of the older versions.  I was asking if I can just delete the old folders without uninstalling.  I have now done that and we will see if it works.  If not then I will do a comprehensive uninstall of the newest version and re-install from scratch.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

Shortcuts like "Deleting Folders" versus "Program Uninstallation" end up with unpredictable results.

Sometimes things work out, sometimes they create a minor mess that can be easily cleaned up, and on some occasions the machine is royally **** up. 

Whether FRS with SmartSDR or other Windows Programs it is pretty uncommon for any software author to recommend simply "Deleting Folders" for a whole lot of reasons.

YYMV, but you do risk spend much more time fixing problems and typically leave components behind by "Deleting Folders" BEFORE you do a proper "Program Uninstallation" process.

There are several programs that make quick work of "Program Uninstallation" with extra attention of fixing up registry & dependencies, remove stuff that otherwise still gets orphaned, and in some cases offer bulk & other added features. 

Hopefully all goes well for you - I tend not to be lucky with the short cut methods when I've tried.

Steve K9ZW

• Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2018
    David, the problem is each version of SmartSDR is an independent version, so installing the latest and uninstalling it will not clean up from the previous actions of deleting folders without using the uninstaller.
  • Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Are the audio driver file names stabilized

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.