Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I'm looking for Quality powered speaker to sit beside my FLEX 6600

James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭

I'm looking for Quality powered speaker to sit beside my FLEX 6600, all the good ones are not powered, Has anyone found a nice one yet?

Jim

WU5E

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    I have a little Bose I use . It is bluetooth and has an auxiliary port that i plug into the flex
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Google this: M-Audio BX5 D3 Crimson 2 way Monitor
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Google this: M-Audio BX5 D3 Crimson 2 way Monitor
  • Art - N4QNT
    Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Now you did mention Quality so check out the new Heil PRAS unit which comes with the HPS-5 powered speaker.. see it at Heil’s website     https://heilsound.com/amateur-radio-post/coming-soon-the-parametric-receive-audio-system/
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Here is another to consider....work very well for me and "Amazon Choice."  Link to my web page with more details.   Great sound and for both the radio and PC @ about $400.

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#Powered_Speakers_-_AudioEngine_5+

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NX-50-Premium-Computer-Speakers/dp/B00MMP7XEW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics...

I get great audio off these Yamaha.
    I had the Bose, spent $250 on them, but one of the speakers stopped working and they are not serviceable. They are glued!! So you can not open them to check for a burned component or a loose cable. 

I am extremely happy with the Yamaha. They sound great, can be powered with 12v from the shack power supply so you don't have to suffer the RFI noise from the wall-wart (the Bose had a very noisy power supply).

They also accept 2 simultaneous inputs. I have them directly connected to the Flex radio and the computer so I can listen to the radio and also get any audio from the computer without having to add more speakers to the desk.

They have a Auto Power Off feature so you don't have to turn them on and off every time you leave the shack. As long as they do not receive signals from either of the 2 inputs they will remain powered off.

They are aesthetically pleasing, have great sound for music and come in different colors to match your decor.

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Thanks the M-Audio BX5 D3 Crimson 2 way Monitor is on the way now

• Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

I am using the PRAS now, I like it.  I also have this speaker which works well.  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rokit5G3--krk-rokit-5-g3-5-inch-powered-studio-monitor?mrkgc...  One of my favorite receive toys it this: http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=clr_dsp

I use the West Mountain CLR Speaker as well in the mobile.

Jeff

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Jim,  I too just got my 6600M and that along with my 6700 are make one heck of a station.  I have been using the Bose Companion II Speaker on my 6700 for the past 3 years and thought "why not continue with what has been working great!".  I purchased a new pair on eBAY for somewhere around $90 NEW / Unopened Box and as in the 6700 these are fantastic.  No issue with RF and plenty of volume. 

Good Luck
    Richard - N4RWG
  • Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I saw Al's setup on his website, did a little research and ordered a pair.  Great decision.  I made a couple aluminum adapter plates that goes between the speaker and a vesa mount on a couple clamp on monitor mounts. The aluminum plate has a center hole (counter sunk) to mount the speaker and 4 holes in the corners to mount to the vesa.  The speakers are about ear high and point directly towards me. 

The nice thing about these speakers is that they are dual input.  I have my Flex on one input and a KX3 on the other input.  Or use one input for your Flex and the other input for computer output.

I'll load a picture on my qrz page shortly.  It's too large to post here.

Rich - N5ZC
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I prefer my Visio Sound Bar which I have mounted high on the wall complete with remote.
  • AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I use an Anchor AN1000X Powered Monitor (mono).

It might be a bit of overkill, but the mono isn't a problem since any real operating I tend to use the headset anyway.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    And a real plus to the Bose Companion 2 speakers is the fact they run on 12v - bonus! No wall wart!
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    JBL Control 2P have 35watt amp built-in.  Recommended by Bob Heil. 
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have the Audio Engine 2, very nice powered HiFi stereo speakers.  you can see them on my QRZ page:  https://www.qrz.com/db/K0EOO

Audio Engine here: https://audioengineusa.com/

I have the older #2 but now they have the A2 and P5 powered speakers and many more...

Dennis, k0eoo
  • W3EX -- Tom
    W3EX -- Tom Member
    edited June 2018

I have a pair of the JBL Control 2P speakers which were recommended by Bob Heil. They work very well.

• Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I went with a Pyle Home PCA1 30 watt stereo amp from Amazon $26.08 Prime. This way I can use any regular speakers. I use 2 way Pioneers. No rf issues with type 31 clip ons running 1500 watts.
  • Chip
    Chip Member ✭✭
    > @"Art - N4QNT" said:
    > Now you did mention Quality so check out the new Heil PRAS unit which comes with the HPS-5 powered speaker.. see it at Heil’s website     https://heilsound.com/amateur-radio-post/coming-soon-the-parametric-receive-audio-system/

I have the Heil HPS-5 and the Heil PRAS unit. What a difference it makes. Glad to hear (no pun intended) that it will work with a Flex Radio. Having the ability to crank up the 2.5k range makes all the difference in the world to hear speech clearly. Not sure why no one else has a 2.5k equalizer adjustment. Most seem to have 2K and 4K, but skip 2.5k.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

I used Bose Companion II and they were ok, and were night/day difference compared to any legacy radio with built-in speakers but just didn't have enough output for me. The speakers have to right in front of you and the audio in/out and power had to run across the desk, susceptible to RFI. Running the Bose at full volume isn't the answer as there was zero head room and some distortion was audible. Runing anything at max is never a good idea. So I moved up to the JBL Control 2P powered speakers 35 watts which is much nicer mounted at head level. My hearing has degraded since then, and having to run the JBL's at a higher level when not using headphones.

I did have more RFI with the Bose Companion II as compared to the JBL's, lots of ferrite fixed that but still, JBLs can be mounted where you want them where the computer speakers sit on your desk taking up valuable desk space.

You did mention quality and you have a Flexradio. Don't cheap out on your ears, so my opinion is don't waste your money on good computer speakers, spend a little more on better quality powered speaker such as the JBL, or others mentioned. Actually Bob Heil recommended these JBL's before he came up with his own.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

I like the Audioengine A2+ powered speakers. They are attractive, have plenty of volume and sound great. $260

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.