Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR V2 and WSJTx setup video

Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
All

This video was just uploaded to help with the initial setup of WSJTx V1.9 and SmartSDR V2.

Mike va3mw
5 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Buck Rogers
    Buck Rogers Member
    edited June 2018
    Well done Mike, many thanks for taking the time to put this together. K4IU 
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Mike what SSDR version you using in video?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Looks like 2.3 Alpha, which was shown at Dayton.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Did anyone record the talk at Dayton? I could not make it this year.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi,

Just a note for anyone who encountered what I did
    when I upgraded from 1.8 to 1.9.
    My drop-down window for choosing the different bands
    were blank. If I chose a band manually, it would show
    the band in the drop-down window and the freq in the
    in the dial frequency window.
    I uninstalled and re-installed several times. Downgrade
    to 1.8 and the band choices were back. The only fix
    I found was not only, uninstall, but go into the users
    folder on Windows and remove WSJT from there also.
    I re-installed WSJT 1.9 and, presto, all functions
    were there.
    Not sure if I am the only one who encountered this,
    but this is what worked for me.

73, Jim N9VC

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Go to wsjt-x Settings / Frequencies, then right click on the frequency list and chooes "Reset" from the context menu, et voila, all the default frequencies will [re]appear.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Which one? The banquets? I don't think so. You should attend next year. It's very nice to meet up with the folks. 
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Wonderful video, OM.  With a few collywobbles, it got my WSJT-X set up, although I haven't been able to test it much on the air because I did it early in the morning when there were no signals to be had.  To get it going I had to put in "localhost:###,"  not just the number for the network location.  It worked though; passed the PTT test and so forth.  This community sure is chock-ful of helpful folks.  Hope I can be one of them one day.  Thanks again de Roger W6VZV
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Thank you so much for the wonderful information. All this time I have been saying that this program would not work with 6.**** as the selected radio. I was wrong!

I had one slight hitch. When I selected Flex 6.**** my network server entry had no defaults showing. I had to manually enter the I/P address of my computer after doing a network scan of the clients. It still failed when I selected 192.1.168.131:5002. I am not using DDUTIL. However once I added 5003 as an additional CAT port it worked perfectly. Thank you for going to all that trouble. Well done!

Jim, K6QE

• N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks,Ted. I wish I had known that, would have saved the rut in the side of my head.
    73, Jim N9VC
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mike, thanks so much for the excellent video.  I had my FT8 set up using VOX instead of PTT because I couldn't make PTT work with the old WSJT-X version.  Your video cured that.  As per your suggestion, I downloaded the latest version of WSJT-X 1.9.1.  I should note that I did not download the latest version of JTAlert-X, still everything worked properly, including automatically logging to HDR,  except I kept getting a pop up "Cat server Send error". The error pointed to DDUTIL. On a lark, I updated to the latest version of JTAlert-X version 2.11.3 and the CAT error message went away. So I would recommend that everyone update both WSJT-X and JTAlert-X at the same time. Many tanks.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    For what it’s worth - you don’t need to add an extra port for PTT, although it certainly doesn’t hurt. You can do PTT via CAT command and it works fine.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    That makes sense.  
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

I was just wondering if anyone video recorded any of the Banquets? I plan on making it next year but would love to see and hear what I missed this year.

• Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I did have one question.  On the video, the OM inputs "5003" (I believe it was) for rig control.  When I did it, both when my rig was connected to the computer and later, to the network hub, it would not work for me unless I input "Localhost:5003".  Just the number would not do it for me.  Can anyone explain this?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    It wasn’t recorded. You missed out! They did unveil zoom to band and spots in the panadapter. Gerald also gave a history lesson on flex
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    WOW Zoom & Spots!!! Can't Wait!
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Great Video Mike!  May I add you should open up your TX filter "Low" and "High" cut to allow you to tx anywhere within your selected receive bandwidth. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The "Network Server:" box in WSJT-X is expecting a TCP IP address and a port number. So port number alone is not sufficient. Using "localhost" will allow the network stack resolve the loopback IP for you. Other people use 127.0.0.1 for the IP address, which also works because it is the loopback adapter IP address for the computer, which is common on all OSes.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Understood.  I was just curious how, in the video, it was that Mike just enters 5503 and it works.  Shouldn't it have been localhost:5503?  Took me half and hour to figure out I needed to add "localhost" LOL.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    TNX for the video Mike. The more of them the better. They really do meet a need.
    In the future please post (or repost) them in higher resolution. On this conventional desktop (at least) it is very hard to read the details of the small images. When I try to go full screen I get FULL SCREEN IS UNAVAILABLE trying several different browers.  -Dave.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi Dave

I have to consider all users, so it is done in 720P exactly.  1280 x 720.  

Not everyone has the higher resolutions.  If you go to the actual youtube video, you can see it full screen.  Just click the YouTube symbole

Mike
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If you go to the actual youtube video, you can see it full screen.  Just click the YouTube symbole

Great! I learned something new today...
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited June 2018
    Deep under the cover in Windows (and all operating systems) there is a file called 'hosts'.    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/hosts-file-in-windows  When your operating system needs to take a name and find the IP address, it looks at the hosts file first and then it goes to the Domain Name Servers you have set up for your Network card.   

You can test this by bringing up a command prompt and doing an

nslookup localhost

C:Users840G1>nslookup localhost

Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  10.2.0.10

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    localhost.homeip.net
    Address:  127.0.0.1

In that file will be a lookup table that says the localhost is the same as 127.0.0.1.   127.0.0.1 is the default IP address for the actual 'host' or the computer you are working on.

You can actually add your own names if you wish to the hosts file.  You could say my computer name is "fredflinstone 127.0.0.1" and get the same result.  

The structure for this entry can be either:

127.0.0.1:5003 

or

localhost:5003

Where it is "ip address" or "host name" : port number

The Colon is critical too.

There are many ways to solve this.  I tried to give you the most fool proof one.

Mike 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.