Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Static Ip Address for Flex

DonS
DonS Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
On my network, all devices go through DHCP for an IP addresses.  Can I go into SmartSDR and under Network change DHCP to Static and put the same IP address that it currently has in the IP Address and select "Enforce Private IP Connections"?  Will the result in forcing the IP address to be static in the DHCP domain?

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Probably best to do the reservation in your router so DHCP doesn't assign something else to the Flex's address when it's not on.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    I HIGHLY recommend not setting a static IP address for the radio.  If you want the radio to have the same IP address all the time, set a DHCP reservation based on the radio's MAC address.  As long as you do not revert back to an earlier version of SmartSDR v2.0 where we updated the radio's MAC address to have the FlexRadio OUI, you should be fine.

Static IP addresses are unforgiving. And waste a lot of support time chasing down connectivity problems due to IP subnet changes or identical IP address on the same subnet.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Good, I was able to reserve the DHCP address in the router for the radio's mac address so I do not have to do anything within SmartSDR.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I thought the static ip address option was removed starting with smartsdr version 2.2.8 at least it does not seem to be an option on the 6400M unit.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    That capability was removed only for the M models until we can add the logic to ensure that the Front end does not lose communication with the back end that can happen when only one of the ends can take a static assignment.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    From what I gather, the static option is really there for commercial customers. Most ham customers should just use DHCP reservation. In my professional career, I build systems to centrally configure servers. This is how professional IT environments are these days. Logging in to each one to configure stuff gets old fast... but some need that capability. Consider it a last resort.
  • Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

My PGXL connects to my switch with an orange light. That means 10/100 MB. How do I get it to go green and 1 GB? I have tried different ports and cables so I think it is a problem in the PGXL.

Do I need at static IP?

Robby

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I don’t think it has a 1G NIC card and going to a static IP address won’t change the connection speed. The speed is part of the physical communications layer, not the TCP/IP layer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.