Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Always On Heatsink Upgrade?

VE5DMC
VE5DMC Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I read something last week about a field upgrade kit (larger heatsink) for users who have their radios on constantly. I did a search this morning but can't find the details.  Can someone point me to the details?  I purchased my 6400 from the Canadian dealer and wonder if I deal with them or FRS directly.

..Thanks, Dan VE3YXE

Answers

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Dan I have not heard of this mod.  However, to put you mind at ease.  I have a 6500 that has been on for two years 24/7 with no cooling mod and I do not have a temp issue.  My understanding it with the bigger case the 6400 has better cooling.

I also have a local friend that has a 6700 that has been on 24/7 longer than my 6500 with no issue.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Dan,

If you haven't been contacted by Flex then your radio doesn't need the mod. It is only for radios delivered before April. Just keep on operating.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • VE5DMC
    VE5DMC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I received my radio prior to April - I will contact the Canadian dealer to see if they know about it.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I recommend you submit a help desk ticket to Flex.

Mack
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    http://www.flexradio.com/support/pen Radios shipped after April 12th had this done at FRS before shipping. Talk to your dealer on Radios supplied by overseas dealers that would need the PEN. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • FRED  W9TB
    FRED W9TB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    A lot of people that should have got that e-mail did not get it me being one of them. Had to find out about it here.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    The April 12th date includes any radio that was in for any type of repairs.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Send a message to pen@flexradio.com, with your radio information. You have some choices to make, including self-install of the heat sink. The capacitor install I suppose would be done by the Canadian dealer, but in my case, I decided not to have it done (although I'll probably ask Radioworld what their plan is for radios sold by them before the change at Flex).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.