Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ddutil and Kpa/Kat 500 and 6600m

Don w2xb
Don w2xb Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
I decided to  connect my Kpa/Kat500 (amp and tuner) to my 6600m, using ddutil. Got as far as the ddutil recognizing the rig.
But no luck with the kpa or kat. The screens show up but now info.
Been reading the info and instructions.  Re-checked the cables between the rig and amp/tuner. 
 Had it setup on my K3 and worked great, but having trouble getting  rig to talk to the setup. 
Any help would be great.
 I can send with the amp and tuner in line with my 6600m. Fstack  showing output of 7 watts,which is my power for the amp. Amp shows a reading of 90 watts out and tuner is 1.2.

Don...w2xb

Don...w2xb

Best Answer

• Don w2xb
    Don w2xb Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Problem was not using a "FDTI cable". Working fb now....

Don...w2xb

Answers

• Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited January 2020

Don,

You might want to try it the Elecraft apps and make 100% sure the amp and tuner are communicating with the ports correctly. Do you have the Flex connected correctly to DDUtil? You mentioned problems with the rig talking to setup. Can you see the serial number and other radio info in the window in setup? When you close setup, do you see any info from the rig like the supply voltage,final temp, etc? On the misc window?

Bill K4FX

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have used DDUtil for several years, but I do not use it anymore. In the last year there have been a flurry of driver and windows updates that caused DDUtil to become unstable on my particular computer and version of Windows. Bills suggestion to use the Elecraft SW is very valid approach. Also in terms of setting up the KAT500. My particular solution to my instability problems was to start using the USB support on my Flex 6500. This approach is solid and provides 100% reliability. But limits the automation options of DDUtil. But find that this loss, in no way limits use. Pat
  • Don w2xb
    Don w2xb Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Just an update on my setup. All is working great. I am using the Elecraft Kpa/Kat software and my flex 6600m. When I use ddutil it recognizes my rig, but it doesn't see the kpa500 or the kat tuner.
    I am ok with using the elecraft software, but would like to use the ddutil. Maybe I am missing a setting?

Don..w2xb
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Are the ports selected and the same as what was used in the Elicraft SW. Also the Elecraft SW can not be used at the same time as DDUtil. One or the other only.
  • Bill Mader
    Bill Mader Member
    Don, did you ever get the KPA500/KAT500 to follow your 6600M? 73, Bill, K8TE
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Bill Mader The 'best' way to do this is via the USB Serial Ports on the back of the radio. Much less confusing and more reliable.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.