Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX Driver Error and Windows 10 Insider Edition (Not Fast Tracked)

Wheelin Rev
Wheelin Rev Member
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
QUESTION: Is anybody successfully running SmartSDR (v)2.1.33 on Windows 10 Insider Edition without seeing a "DAX Driver Error" and the associated dialog (see picture)?

I am "dead in the water" on all digital modes and FlexRadio is not interested in this issue because the Windows 10 Insider Edition is a beta release and not a currently released OS.  Just curious if anybody is using the Windows 10 Insider Edition and NOT getting the DAX Driver Error dialog.

Thanks in advance for any responses folks! 

73, Dave Hamm K4EET

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    Dave,

It is never appropriate to post your HelpDesk ticket responses on a public forum for privacy reasons. [the content was removed]

Second, FlexRadio only supports the production level of Windows 10 software.  Not Insider versions or fast-track versions.  These are essentially beta versions of software and you take this risk by using them with our products.  

It is not that we are uninterested in the issue, we are very aware of the issue and are working to access the problem.  I spoke with Engineering on this very subject yesterday. One of the challenges is that we do not know if the change that is affecting DAX in the Insider version of Win10 will be reverted or fixed before it becomes a public release.There may not be a problem when it is released.  Or there might be one and in that case, the issue becomes a high priority to resolve. Dudley closed the HelpDesk ticket because there is really isn't any additional actions the HelpDesk can take at this time because you are not using a supported operating system.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    I want to back Tim up on this, not just as a Flex Radio perspective, but as someone who has worked in the software versioning industry for decades.

While it is good to jump in with both feet, it is more important that you have a plan B for when things don't work.    If this was me, I would be doing it on a 2nd computer that is running at a GA code level.   You don't want to do this on a mission critical computer.  That is just good computing practices.

As well, it isn't that FRS isn't interested, we are always interested.  However, there any many things going on on the business schedule and testing like this does require a bit of planning for proper execution.  

As with all Beta code testing there is often a high risk of failure resulting in a total re-install to recover.  This seems to be one of those situations unfortunately.   

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I dont think his post is inappropriate he has an issue and is asking the community for support and there may be someone that has had success. Im sure if he didnt state flex had no interest in helping that nothing would have been said about his request for help from the community.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    This is the exact reason I keep a Windows 7 computer handy to run my radio. Windows 10 is brittle enough by itself, much more so using a Beta OS. 

A good idea might be to contact Microsoft to let them know that their Beta update is breaking something. That way they can decide to fix or roll it back. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2018
    The inappropriate portion of the post was removed.  

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Got it , didnt realizr that, sorry.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2018
    No problem Wayne, I can see the reason for your confusion. 
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    In past issues of this sort, it has been  a successful process to thoroughly un-install all drivers and register references of Dax, Cat, and SSDR, including a lot of manual regedit'ing'. Restarting the machine, re-installing PROPERLY, SSDR, restarting again, then starting in proper order the rig and software. I have had good to fair successes using this method. On another note, issues of the magnitude of taking a computer completely out of service because of fast tracked versions of win 10, stopped me from continuing in the fast track. I have enough issues without compounding them in an unstable environ. OK, More unstable than the "normal" versions of ten ;)
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited April 2018
    In response to Tim Ellison:
    It is never appropriate to post your HelpDesk ticket responses on a public forum for privacy reasons. [the content was removed]
    I included an excerpt of the HelpDesk ticket contents, after sanitation of privacy issues, so everyone responding could see what Dudley had said about this error and what had been done thus far to correct it. I see no reason why that would be inappropriate.
    FlexRadio only supports the production level of Windows 10 software.  Not Insider versions or fast-track versions.
    I fully understand that and have no problem with FlexRadio's position.
    It is not that we are uninterested in the issue, we are very aware of the issue and are working to access the problem.
    I can see how my comment struck a nerve with FlexRadio. It was not my intent to bash you all because you all do a fantastic job with everything Flex! It would have been better if I had said "FlexRadio is not interested in this resolving my particular issue because the Windows 10 Insider Edition is a beta release and not a currently released OS. FlexRadio only supports retail (released non-beta) versions of Windows 10 as I learned from Dudley in the HelpDesk ticket. I have no problem with that."
    I spoke with Engineering on this very subject yesterday. One of the challenges is that we do not know if the change that is affecting DAX in the Insider version of Win10 will be reverted or fixed before it becomes a public release.There may not be a problem when it is released.  Or there might be one and in that case, the issue becomes a high priority to resolve.
    I understand your position. That being said, the Version 2 release of SmartSDR was working fine on my computer up the release of Version 2.1.32 (I believe that was the first version that the DAX Driver Error reared its ugly head) and the subsequent maintenance release, Version 2.1.33, which is what is loaded now. What I do not know is whether the DAX Driver Error was caused by the latest SmartSDR release or one of the many Windows 10 Insider Edition beta releases. I do not know which came first.
    Dudley closed the HelpDesk ticket because there is really isn't any additional actions the HelpDesk can take at this time because you are not using a supported operating system.
    I now fully understand that and have no problem with that.

In response to Michael Walker:
    I want to back Tim up on this, not just as a Flex Radio perspective, but as someone who has worked in the software versioning industry for decades.

While it is good to jump in with both feet, it is more important that you have a plan B for when things don't work.    If this was me, I would be doing it on a 2nd computer that is running at a GA code level.   You don't want to do this on a mission critical computer.  That is just good computing practices.
    I appreciate and understand your comments. I have a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering and worked as a Systems Engineering Manager overseeing multi-million dollar systems. Since I know both hardware and software (ANSI C and C++), I am very aware of the risks involved when running beta software. Unfortunately, I have a terminal illness called MELAS and due to medical expenses, I do not have the luxury of being able to afford two computers. I do beta testing for several companies which my neurosurgeon fully supports because it keeps me in the Engineering game and exercises my memory now that I am medically retired.
    As well, it isn't that FRS isn't interested, we are always interested.  However, there any many things going on on the business schedule and testing like this does require a bit of planning for proper execution.  
    I fully understand FlexRadio's position on this matter...
    As with all Beta code testing there is often a high risk of failure resulting in a total re-install to recover.  This seems to be one of those situations unfortunately.
    You are correct in saying that. One step that I do for risk mitigation is to NOT be "Fast Tracked" on Window 10 Insider Edition releases. I own and run hundreds of pieces of software on my one-and-only computer and the only application that is having problems with the Windows 10 Insider Edition is FlexRadio's SmartSDR.

In response to Wayne Suite:
    I dont think his post is inappropriate he has an issue and is asking the community for support and there may be someone that has had success. Im sure if he didnt state flex had no interest in helping that nothing would have been said about his request for help from the community.
    Exactly...

In response to Jim Anderson:
    On another note, issues of the magnitude of taking a computer completely out of service because of fast tracked versions of win 10, stopped me from continuing in the fast track. I have enough issues without compounding them in an unstable environ. OK, More unstable than the "normal" versions of ten ;)
    I fully agree with you. I would like to ask though, and as I have previously stated, I am not taking the "Fast Track" route with the Windows 10 Insider Edition, have you run SmartSDR under Windows 10 Insider and if so, do you recall what version SmartSDR you were using successfully?

IN CONCLUSION: Since Tim has marked this thread "Answered" which actually my original question has not even been addressed yet, I am going to open another Community question re-stating my original question. I feel that the responses in this post thus far, which do not address my original question, will probably scare off any would-be responders that are successfully running the Windows 10 Insider Edition. As far as that goes, the responses in this thread may have already sealed the fate of my new Community question.

73, Dave Hamm K4EET

• Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited April 2018
    Michael, thanks for your comment. As a Microsoft Insider, I do have access to Microsoft in the portal where Insiders submit their findings. I do plan to make mention of this event but I first would like to see if anybody is using SmartSDR with the Windows 10 Insider Edition. 73, Dave Hamm K4EET

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.